Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

Anyone know of a program that will reveal the password for passworded MS Word documents? I find programs which you have to pay for, but I used to have a free one called 'Behind Asterisks' or similar. I can't find it for the life of me.

Anyone know of a program that will reveal the password for passworded MS Word documents? I find programs which you have to pay for, but I used to have a free one called 'Behind Asterisks' or similar. I can't find it for the life of me.

Check out this vid (Y)http://www.metacafe.com/watch/399674/break_ms_word_password/

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers mate, that worked perfectly :).

And now for something else *sigh*. Recently when I try and open iTunes it only works maybe one or two times out of three. I'd just Ctrl-Alt-Delete and end the process and then start it again and all would be fine. Then a couple of days ago it stopped working entirely. I can kill the process but when I try and start the program again the process just reappears without iTunes starting. I've reinstalled it to no avail.

Any ideas?

DrDoom - Go to Start, search MSCONFIG, click 'Start Up' and find the application causing the problem and disable it by unticking the little box.

Jon - What is your operating system and do you know what version of iTunes you're running? Did you download from a CD or from the website? Have you tried downgrading a version?

Muel - as far as I'm aware there isn't a method to do it within windows. However you can with a third party software, perhaps arcserve 2000 as its very straight forward. I think HP do a free application for this but ill check in the morning (on my phone now).However as for modified folders, it'll be easier to just copy everything over and tick the option to overwrite without prompting and all that.Arcserve allows you to set a time for a backup; daily, weekly, monthly and the exact time, also gives the option to shut down the computer after the back up.What will you be backing files onto? Another hard drive or do you have removable media?

Simpson - have you checked the drivers for your sound? Go to control panel, system, device manager and look for any yellow question mark symbols indicating an unrecognised or uninstalled driver. Failing that you're best off reinstalling the driver from scratch. Are you using a soundcard or on board sound?

Drdoom - sorry I misread your problem. I had a similar problem with Microsoft Visio...can't remember what I did to fix it but ill let you know in the morning.

Edited by anzo

Muel - as far as I'm aware there isn't a method to do it within windows. However you can with a third party software, perhaps arcserve 2000 as its very straight forward. I think HP do a free application for this but ill check in the morning (on my phone now).However as for modified folders, it'll be easier to just copy everything over and tick the option to overwrite without prompting and all that.Arcserve allows you to set a time for a backup; daily, weekly, monthly and the exact time, also gives the option to shut down the computer after the back up.What will you be backing files onto? Another hard drive or do you have removable media?

I want it to back my pen drive up to my documents once a day, or whenever I plug it in, then back up my documents to my lan drive once a week or every day, depends how easy it is.

I just want a way to cut down the time it takes, My documents are about 20gb so it takes ages to backup.

I want it to back my pen drive up to my documents once a day, or whenever I plug it in, then back up my documents to my lan drive once a week or every day, depends how easy it is.

I just want a way to cut down the time it takes, My documents are about 20gb so it takes ages to backup.

That wouldn't be a problem, you can set jobs to back up whatever files you want and to whatever destination. Regarding reducing the timescale for this, I doubt any software will improve that.

One of our servers backs up about 25GB of files and databases onto DAT72 tapes, that takes 1 hour 39 minutes average - I think you'll be better to set it late at night and automatically shut the computer down on completion :)

Just a thought though - ArcServe that I recommended is a fairly old programme, we only use it because we have one server with Server 2000. Therefore I don't think it'll offer support for USB storage devices - but I can check for you.

Muel,

ArcServe won't support USB devices (I should have remembered this! It cost me a lot of pissing about with a USB Tape Drive once).

However Memeo AutoSync will do exactly what you're wanting to do. If you want to replicate a complete back up system, I recommend buying a couple of USB Drives (seeing how they're mega cheap now) and label them Monday - Sunday and use a new one for each day - helpful if you're editing files a lot of the time and want to revert back to a older version :)

Although Memeo AutoSync isn't freeware, although I think its about £15 or so?

DrDoom,

Has anything changed from when it worked normally to this point? Very strange really? Do they open up if the computer if left alone for a while (without a user)?

Are you using a laptop touchpad/wireless mouse? If so have you tried turning down the sensitivity of these/replacing wireless device batteries?

Lastly, a very long shot, but have you accidently set a shortcut to this application?

Done any malware scans lately?

I want to do daily backups to my network hard drive, is there any way I can make my computer just back up the modified files when I turn it off?

Give microsoft synctoy a look, it's free from the MS site and seems to do a reasonable job of backups. I doubt you can schedule it to do it when you turn the pc off but you can setup multiple folder pairings, then click one button to do all the backups. I'm using it once a week to back all my stuff up onto an external drive and it seems to do the trick.

Someone please help me!

Problem is my mic is too quite. It's a normal 3.5mm jack mic, which I obviously plug into the mic hole.

I'm using audacity to record through the mic. Recording device in Preferences in Audacity is set to 'Microphone' (obviously).

I'm using vista ultimate x64, in control panel>sound>recording>microphone>properties, in the levels tabs the mic volume is set to 100 and mic boost at 0 (i dont want to use gain). But with this setting the mic still seems to be very quite in Audacity, it is picking up the sound but at a really low level.

I was able to record things a while back with the same mic, under same vista version but only difference now is the hardward has changed.

I have googled around and nothing has helped!