Pc Tech Support

Dr. Nick Riviera

I've popped the hdd out as I'm planning on replacing it.

'operating system not found' starts repeating down the page too.

Erm, put the hdd back in? Or put the one replacing it in with the OS disk and get reinstalling.

Edited by ZeroMatt

The new hdd is in the post and I've got software ready for when it arrives. I was just curious as to whether it is normal for the computer to go ape-shit bleeping when the current hdd is missing or broken. I thought normally it just said 'operating system not found' and that was it.

Beeping on POST pretty much means hardware/BIOS error.

Pretty much, tried pulling out the coin battery on the mobo and replacing it? If you wait for about 30 seconds, before replacing, it should reset all your shit.

Jon,

As previously mentioned it will be because the hard drive is removed - it'll still do it when you get your new hard drive until you install the OS on it.

Another note though, I'd consider opening up the laptop and just checking over everything to make sure nothing is loose. Its possible to unclip fans, loosen objects (may keep shorting out) etc - although if you've never cracked a laptop open, be careful, they can sometimes be a absolute nightmare.

Ok, I'm having strange interweb related issues and am wondering if anyone has any ideas... Basically my computer regularly stops being able to see the vast majority of the internet. Nothing happens or pops up but I just find that I can no longer get onto any sites. What's very weird is that things like MSN still work and I can still access my Uni Outlook Web Access email account but nothing else. The only way I've found to fix it is to restart which is a bit annoying. I'm running Vista on a newish Vaio laptop and using IE8. I've tried downloading Firefox before but it does the same.

Happens when both plugged in to my uni connection and wireless at home so it's not a connection problem, seems to be an odd software/computer issue. Any thoughts?

I used to have that problem. Internet browsers wouldn't work but applications accessing the internet were fine - such as msn, xfire, steam. Then a restart fixed it. As far as I can remember, it was a shitted up router which was constantly f**king with my wireless connection. Could be a similar problem?

Alternatively, you may have a virus?

Heeelp! New computer is beeping at me :( Just built a new computer and on startup there's continuous long beeps. No idea what it is. I've reseated RAM and motherboard power connections to no avail. All the fans and lights are powering up but there's no output to the monitor (the light goes green showing active conn. but just a black screen).

The PSU is a 550W (over recommended supply spec) PowerCooler (so rather low key no-name brand). I have suspicions that it's just generally shit but because everything powering up I have my doubts as to what's failing.

If anyone could offer suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

Does your graphics card require direct power to it? A lot of higher end ones do, if it did, it will come with an adapter.

The end of it will look like this:

Click me

This plugs straight into the graphics card.

Mine does a big long beep when its not connected.

I have literally just finished setting up one I just bought! Don't bother with pre-built, it really isn't worth it unless you desperately want a new OS or shitty little features like multimedia cards etc.

The computer I just bought was something like £420. So far I've only put BF2 on it and it plays it full specs no issue and it will deal with a lot more demanding games than BF2

Here's the spec list if you want it:

1 x AMD Phenom II X4 940 3GHz Socket AM2+ 6MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor £118.26

1 x Sony DRU-870S 24x DVDRW SATA Black - Retail Box £16.65

1 x MSI HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card £65.17

1 x Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Kit CL5 1.8V £30.41

1 x Gigabyte GA-M720-US3 AMD Nvidia 720D Socket AM2+ 7.1 channel audio ATX Motherboard £42.18

1 x Casecom Shiny Black Mid Tower Case with Front 120mm Red LED Fan - No PSU £15.64

1 x Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM Caviar Blue £34.69

1 x Powercool 550W 80plus Certified Efficienty PSU - 1x PCI-E 4x SATA £30.60

Edited by ManxTrialSpaz

GF's grandad is having some issues with the USB ports on an XP PC... The computer only has USB 1.0 ports and when he plugs in his digital camera or SD card reader, it makes the right noise, gives the old 'this device can perform faster' blurb but then nothing appears in My Computer as it should (removable storage or whatever). Strangely though my external HDD plugged straight in and worked perfectly and his webcam works fine etc. So basically the ports function fine for some things but not for his camera or card reader... Any ideas?

Have tried installing the specific drivers but the card reader needs to be plugged in to install and although it physically is the computer can't see it so aborts the install. The camera has no drivers because XP should support it already! Am I looking at a Windows reinstall to sort it?

GF's grandad is having some issues with the USB ports on an XP PC... The computer only has USB 1.0 ports and when he plugs in his digital camera or SD card reader, it makes the right noise, gives the old 'this device can perform faster' blurb but then nothing appears in My Computer as it should (removable storage or whatever). Strangely though my external HDD plugged straight in and worked perfectly and his webcam works fine etc. So basically the ports function fine for some things but not for his camera or card reader... Any ideas?

Have tried installing the specific drivers but the card reader needs to be plugged in to install and although it physically is the computer can't see it so aborts the install. The camera has no drivers because XP should support it already! Am I looking at a Windows reinstall to sort it?

Tried plugging the camera/card reader in another computer and see if it works? Long shot but there's a little lock on SD cards, a tiny little lock on the side of the SD card. I can't remember since I haven't used SD for ages but if that lock is in the locked position I don't think it shows up in my computer. So yeah switch it unlock and see if that works :P

If it doesn't do try it on another computer to see it's not the camera itself.

Tried plugging the camera/card reader in another computer and see if it works? Long shot but there's a little lock on SD cards, a tiny little lock on the side of the SD card. I can't remember since I haven't used SD for ages but if that lock is in the locked position I don't think it shows up in my computer. So yeah switch it unlock and see if that works :P

That would be most embarassing if it was just the lock slide thingy... Will ask him to check :P.

Whenever I move a window, a white box seems to follow it and windows take a second or two to close. This a lack of RAM or something else?

Tam.

EDIT:Fixed. Silly computer running silly programs.

Edited by Tamness™

Any ideas what the best firewall I can get for free is? I need something that's customisable to the degree that I can forward ports and stuff like that. Definitely NOT Zone Alarm as its shiiiiite.

tried COMODO?

Any ideas what the best firewall I can get for free is? I need something that's customisable to the degree that I can forward ports and stuff like that. Definitely NOT Zone Alarm as its shiiiiite.

Personal option; if you're going for complex firewalls then I'd buy one, unless you're running Linux.

Reason for this is that they can cause more damage then little; particularly with how they go about incoming/outbound permission - for example you can block a connection when it prompts you about the connection attempt, and so it will probably not let you visit that website or use that service (for example MSN or whatever).

So obviously the next time you try the service you'll be prompted again and will permit it - however it could be anything!

Obviously this can be easily overcome, however it's a danger if you don't know how to configure it properly...

But, if you're going for a free one, I'd recommend comodo :)

Anyone know of any companies that deal in data recovery from dodgy external HDD's? Friend of mine has a 1TB drive which he's sent to one company who, after checking some online reviews, turn out to be a bit crap and always (after charging £97 themselves) end up passing drives on to their sister company who charge an upfront, non recoverable, £450 deposit just to look at the thing. So yeah he's trying to get the drive back and wants to send it to somewhere more reputable... any suggestions?