Bodge Jobs

Dave!

Whats the most stupid/funny bodge job you've even done to your bike?

A few years back I some how rounded off ALL my brake mounts on the back and held the four bolt mounts on with jubilee clips, strangely it worked better. :huh:

recently I had to help a friend angle grind a bb to get his crank arms off because the threads had died, Only thing was the remaining bits were now stuck in the arms and we had to use a blowtourch, a vice, a socket piece and an assortment of threaded bar to get them out.

So I was wondering whats the worst you've done?

Grinded off the little sticking out bit. Had no idea what it was for until I put my wheel back on, turns out it's to stop the axle spinning so you can tighten the bolts on both sides.

It was annoying as hell to put my wheel on with that bit so I thought it had to go.

That's it so far. I hope.

ecomproductimagesimage1mt0.jpg

Mine has to be when i stipped my tpa wheel so it was like it was wound all the way down, so i folded tiny bits of paper and placed them in the cylinder of the lever to make up the distance, this didn't work for long enough so i superglued the tpa wheel in place instead XD :P oh i tried using sprins too :P this also didn't work.

Adam (Y)

I snapped a mech hanger and bodged it up. I drilled it, then i used 1 link from a chain to reconnect the pieces. Then i put it back on.

Didn't work too great.....

Also i had a BB7 and it was for the rear so the adapter didnt fit. So i re-drilled the adapter so that it fitted the slightly smaller disc. Worked a treat and the BB7 on theat bike was sooo deadly. My Ex broke her arm from squeezing the brake and 2 of my mates fell off. Sharp as Fck seriously.......

Made a few bodges on my motorbikes as well. I snapped the clutch lever. So i bodged on a push bike lever and modded it to fit the bigger cable (Eventually i snapped the front brake lever and had to do the same) Man that bike was soo bodged.

Also once i selotaped and superglued a tube because i had no repair kits left. Worked a treat (Y)

Ooo. Any ive bodged a few mechs/tensioners.......

And i bodged my Maggie. The rear crossover snapped. So i filed the barbed screw down and squeezed the hose over just enough to not leak.

Also bodged my booster on. Damn thing didnt fit so i had to file the holes inwards to make it fit.

Theres probably more.....hahaa

Made a two bolt booster out of a maggie mount booster and some spacers. 

Had three of my maggie threads pull out on first pedal kick of a london ride and used nuts to clamp the mounts shut and had it held in place by just one bolt. It worked extremely well.

in the past I had to use a twig to do my old crank arm up a few times .

Most of the bodges iv done have been on Bax's and jump bikes to be honest .

smashing wheels till there straight

stuffing grass in the tyre after a punk (It don't work btw)

I know i have done my fair share of bodges in the past , i tend to bodge things apart rather than doing it so they work

all you need for a good bodge is a hammer, gaffer tape, zip ties , an assortment of cutting and drilling apparatus and the will so succeed lol

On my old jump bike I snapped the gear cable for the front mech, so I took the shifter and cable off and found a stone that was just the right size to hold the mech far enough away from the frame to use the second chainring.

I left it in for at least 6 months, when I wanted the first ring I just took the stone out, then put it back in when I wanted the second ring.

On my old jump bike I snapped the gear cable for the front mech, so I took the shifter and cable off and found a stone that was just the right size to hold the mech far enough away from the frame to use the second chainring.

I left it in for at least 6 months, when I wanted the first ring I just took the stone out, then put it back in when I wanted the second ring.

why not just use the limit screws?

recently I had to help a friend angle grind a bb to get his crank arms off because the threads had died, Only thing was the remaining bits were now stuck in the arms and we had to use a blowtourch, a vice, a socket piece and an assortment of threaded bar to get them out.

I wonder who his friend could be. :rolleyes:

I have done alot with my old old bike....... Actually my hole bike was a bodge.

Daz.

iv done a few bodges like holding maggie clamps down with zip ties recently snapped my mech hanger and couldnt get a new one so got one from another bike and grinded it down till it fited its only held on by my axel bolt but is still going strong =]

I've bodged loads of parts:

- Had a too big clamp for my bars so I wrapped innertube round to make the bars fit.

- Filed a bb cup to make the hole a 1mm bigger to fit round the bb axle and works a treat.

- Use sellotape as grips

some others, can't think right now... :-

Apart from the fact i did it for you. lol.

-fixed a cheap shimano mech with a twig when a bolt snapped, just to get home.

-used 10mm chain tugs with cutdown echo bolts allowing me to use QR with horizontal dropouts.

-used 2 cable ends instead of a v brake noodle, supprisingly it worked for about 6 months.

-oversized bearings from an unsealed hub used in a hub with normal sized bearings.

-headset bearings rebuilt with hub bearings.

-allen key bolts used as rotor bolts.

-1mm to big bolt used as SD7 lever bolt.

loads more when i can think of them.

This probably sounds realy rediclous but i had a frame which the thread in the bottom bracket shell had gone one side so i superglued it on side and the otherside out the bottom bracket in and tightend it in with the other cup.

worked fine for ages,

just i simple bodge for if you have no money for a major repair.

Dan

Haha lets see, my stupid idea wich worked was,

my tea was really shit and didt go in far so my

brake did get the full use of the tpa bolt so where the pin sits

in the cylinder so i put foil in it to push it out more worked well haha.:D

ben x

Its not really a bodge, but for fun, we found this toddler bike and it had fixed cogs, front and back. We thought it would be a laugh to take the wheels off of it and put it on my trials, and seeing as i had ffw, we thought why not. So we took my front and back wheels off and replaced it with the little ones and had to resize the chain to get it to fit around the cogs nicely. eventually we managed to get it to work and it was so funny, the bike was so low, and the cranks were about a centremeter away from the floor, the gaering was easy too, as the back cog was 16t.

I had a bb tool and a wrench, and the spanner was too big by about half a mm, so i got a coke can and jammed it in between the gap, still didnt work...

Ive put a cable tie on an axle to stop the cone falling off, that worked for a surprisingly long time (about 6 months).

My foam grip split, so I taped it back temporarily for that night.

When my crappy tpa threaded, I put a ball bearing in the piston, so the pin pushed it down further, it made the pull amazing.

I've put a bit of an inner tube in between an external bb cup and the frame to seal it, as I'd lost the o ring.

I've put electrical tape over a hole in my inner tube, in a desperate attempt to sort my punny out :D.

Thats all I can think of at the moment,

but i'm sure there's loads more.

Kiwi.