Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt Vandart

Whats The Oldest Thing On Your Bike?

75 posts in this topic

Whats the oldest thing on your bike?

I wondered this, as I have a really old set of Deore V-brakes which are now well worn but still work surprisingly well.

They have to be 8-10yrs old surely, though memory isn't that accurate, but even taking that into account they are seriously old.

They have followed me from bike to bike to bike, not just trials bikes either, when I had a spell out, going through free-ride and street and dirt and XC, they appeared on various bikes.

I also have a pair of middleburns that are well old, an FSA headset that is even older and might possibly be older than the Vees, that still work perfectly (even though the bottom bit of the headset has been cracked for years.

I just can't seem to get rid of them. I think the Vees are going now because I am gambling with death or serious injury when they finally give up, but I aint chucking them away!

I'll use them as tea stirers or summit. :D

Post your old shit here and lets see how long things really last.

Matt

Edited by Matt Vandart

I've got a hope disc brake from the VERY early 90's on an old Claud Butler, it's one of the ones that was WAY to powerful to be any good haha.

I've got a seat post clamp on my turbo trainer bike that came off a 70's Halford.

The oldest thing on my bike is me.

A pair of azonic doublewall bars still great. Probs about 5-7 years old.

ha sorry not 10, got mix up.

Edited by TomN

I have a pair of grips about 3 years old now. They know how I like it

Not possible. DWs are programmed to snap after precisely 6 months.

i had a downhill tube that i had for nearly a year and a half only had one patch on it and it survived 4 tyres

i loved that tube but it finally gave up after a hop onto a sharp edge of a wall and it split apart but the tyre survived

i still have it in my box of junk under the stairs just cant bring myself to throw it away

i have heard that DW'S last for over 10 years, i havent had a bike long enough to say that something has lasted ages but on my bike i just sold , there was some 5 year old avid bbs , they felt soo nice and didnt creak, im getting them of he boy again he said he will give them to me soon :).

It's gotta be my raceline yellow maggy, i got it second hand from my mate and he bought it second hand.

God knows how old it is.

my king rear hub 6 years old and still not skippin!

My middleburns, best cranks ever,also my 9 year old hope mono hub :D

Edited by skinny paul

My outland top cap on my stem. 4 years old this aprill and had it ever since i started

My oldest thing must have to be the rider lol. My middleburns are most defiantly the oldest thing on my bike, I have had them for like 3 years, and I bought them second hand. they are still going strong.

My front wheel is about 7 years old. Except from a few odd spokes.

Dunno, my CK is a few years old, but I'm not sure how old specifically. Although it's been through 3 bikes and 4 builds for me over the last 2.5 years, and it's still going strong.

I bought a set of raceline maggies in 1998 and the rears been on there ever since! Never leaked either.

My middleburns are from 2002. they've been ridden loose plenty of times but still don't creak. They're square taper too.

On my stock it would be my Middleburn cranks, they were the only thing that weren't brand new when it was built. :P (Not by me, I bought it second hand)

On my mod I've got a 2.5 year old Tensile freewheel, so impressed with it, it just keeps on going!

I have a pretty much OEM spec Specialized Rockhopper from 1989 - It dates from 6 or 7 years before I started MTBing - bought it last year for €50 :D. It's great fun to ride, but the canti brakes are properly scary in the wet...

I bought a completely new trials bike last year and sold on the previous bike. Oldest parts on it were the Maguras at 6 or 7 years, nothing done to them (Apart from the TPAs and a couple of bleeds) for their whole time on my bike.

reckon i can beat you all... i have just replaced my Hope rear wheel build after 11 years. The rim has changed once but the rear xc hub is still going strong. It was one of the old original Hopes with the weird star splined disc adaptor with a screw on locking nut.

It may well be put onto my Forge play bike :)

The front wheel hub from the same era is still hanging around on another bike as well.... and i have just sold the middleburns that dated about the same, pre splined fitting HS-hd models. Still almost un scratched.

Edited by r2wtrials

reckon i can beat you all... i have just replaced my Hope rear wheel build after 11 years. The rim has changed once but the rear xc hub is still going strong. It was one of the old original Hopes with the weird star splined disc adaptor with a screw on locking nut.

I've got one of those hubs if you want another ?

Mines a purple one with a black center and "hope" wrapped around it ? :P Think it's a Ti Glide...

Edited by Pashley26

Everything on my bike apart from the cranks and tyres is 11 years old.

... ok, the bloke that hangs on to the bars is 44 this year :)

Do win yet?

Ha i do remember in the day a few have gone and some doing well. Mines been great. 2nd hand aswell.

Edited by TomN

My King internals. Don't know how old they are, might be 5-6 years.