New To Mod, Just A Quick Question On ...

Bobby Fox

Just a quick one, im new to mod and have been riding a stock with vertial drop-outs for god knows how long.

Ive got my bike built up with snails fitted, ive also marked where the snails meet the frames snail cam bolts so i can see if there has been any movement. A ride or so later and the chain although not completly slack is a bit looser than i used to have on my stock and you can see a very slight curve in the chain from a side on view. The snail cams or wheel hasnt moved at all, just wondering if running snails tends to give slightly less chain tension and is this normal for a mods chain to be like this? It rides fine by the way.

sorry if this is a lame question just needed a quick answer to put my mind at rest cheers for the help guys nice one.

I'd move to cams with teeth, mine was doing the same thing, i switched, problem solved.

New chains tend to stretch more, older ones shouldn't. Watch out if you're running a front freewheel as depending on what angle the cranks at it can alter the chain tension.

I'd move to cams with teeth, mine was doing the same thing, i switched, problem solved.

New chains tend to stretch more, older ones shouldn't. Watch out if you're running a front freewheel as depending on what angle the cranks at it can alter the chain tension.

Just ordered some trial-tech cams with the notches. What do you meen about the front freewheel and the angle of the cranks? sorry im a bit slow today :P cheers for the help though guys much appreciated

Just ordered some trial-tech cams with the notches. What do you meen about the front freewheel and the angle of the cranks? sorry im a bit slow today :P cheers for the help though guys much appreciated

You'll notice when you turn the cranks around that there will be a tight spot and a slack spot.

A lot of front freewheels are not 100% evenly round if you get what i mean, so if you pedal the cranks around and keep an eye on chain tension you may see it slightly tighten or loosen depending on the position of the cranks.

Push on your chain like you would do to check it's tension, then spins the cranks backwards with your other hand, you'll probably notice the chain get tighter and slacker.

I hated my tugs, always had to over tighten them and they would usually slip into a normal tension. And that was with profile bolts. Cams with teeth are by far the best thing i've used.

Got my new chain and trial-tech cams today! Fitted them making sure the chain was tight at the point when the cranks and freewheel were at there slackest point. Its worked good tension all the way round the pedal stroke and the same after a couple rides! cheers for the help guys