Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JaMiE.oNzA

Close Please :)

16 posts in this topic

Hi guys, ive managed to round the nut off on my internal tensioner of my onza pro :ermm: .

Does anyone know a method of getting it off?

Its originally a 10mm nut, ive tried using a 9mm spanner but its too small and a 10mm won't grip the nut.

Help and advice very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Jamie

:)

Edited by JaMiE.oNzA

Try using mole grips ;) They should offer optimum grip on the bolt and get it off no problem :)

Try using mole grips ;) They should offer optimum grip on the bolt and get it off no problem :)

i dont think i would be able to fit mole grips in the tight space, its one of onza's worst designs i think. its really hard to access with an adjustable etc

What about a pair of needlenose pliers? I know you get needlenose mole grips which would work im sure!

What about a pair of needlenose pliers? I know you get needlenose mole grips which would work im sure!

ok il give that a try mate, cheers :)

Am I right in thinking it's a long threaded rod that the nuts on, and the other end is simply threaded into the frame/other end of the tensioner?

If so there should be enough poking out so you can get a mole grip on there and unscrew the whole thing with the nut still on. That's a last resort though as you'll chew up the threads.

Am I right in thinking it's a long threaded rod that the nuts on, and the other end is simply threaded into the frame/other end of the tensioner?

If so there should be enough poking out so you can get a mole grip on there and unscrew the whole thing with the nut still on. That's a last resort though as you'll chew up the threads.

yes mate correct, il give it a go with mole grips when i get some

cheers

Its not a bad design at all, you were evidently using the wrong tool or using it incorrectly. Can you get a ring spanner on it if the bolts not completely rounded?

It's just a bit fiddly getting the spanner in place, using the open end is obviously easier to place over the nut, but as the chainstay blocks the spanner from sliding all the way over the nut, it has a reduced contact area and therefore grip on the nut, thus slipping.

Mine are slowly getting that way.

It's just a bit fiddly getting the spanner in place, using the open end is obviously easier to place over the nut, but as the chainstay blocks the spanner from sliding all the way over the nut, it has a reduced contact area and therefore grip on the nut, thus slipping.

Mine are slowly getting that way.

yeah its a real pain

Swap for an allen bolt once you get them out :)

Swap for an allen bolt once you get them out :)

It already is an allen bolt, the nut just locks against the frame ensuring the bolt doesn't loosen itself over time.

It already is an allen bolt, the nut just locks against the frame ensuring the bolt doesn't loosen itself over time.

lol yeah i was thinking that :D. ive just been hacking at it with a screw driver and a hammer :giggle: .

I had a similar problem a few days ago and asked for some advise

and i got told to use mole grips so i went and got some and it worked

a treat and take craigjames advise and get some allen bolts once

you have got yours out the allot better

Kieran.

Wait...

I have a feeling I have misunderstood this... but the answer seems quite simple to me.

If it's the nut that you tighten so the bolt won't move, put the 3mm allen key in the end of the bolt (the bit you tighten when you are moving the wheel back) and keep on turning it till the bolt comes out and then the nut will just fall off?

a treat and take craigjames advise and get some allen bolts once

you have got yours out the allot better

:ermm: