Suspension Forks

Rob_P

Looking at upgrading the suspension forks on my Marin B17, came with Rock shox toras which are alrite, bit spongy for my linking and after about 15 mins riding they make a really strange clicking noise. Apparently this is a typical rock shox thing?

I want something all round really, I use the bike to ride to work, in the woods, cross country and hopefully more singletrack next year. Also being able to adjust the travel would be awsome and lock out too.

How do these look?

bit pricey!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30250

Don't want to spend that much really but the need to last and be adjustable.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks

U cud probs get a gd deal on ebay for a gd set of pike rockshox u-turn 426 forks. I managed to get a set brand new for £260 off there and there great.

Same forks im running , never had the problem with them , mine have been all over the place , taken a beating and just sailed through!

usually a pair on ebay for a good price as said.

Yeah they look good! I'm not sure why mine make a strange clicking noise, very annoying. Do these always come with the pushlock? I guess thats to quickly lock them out from the bars?

I'll keep an eye out on ebay! The fox ones look awsome but out of my price range

I don't like some of the new Marzocchi's. There was a lot of quality issues with the 09 ones. I think they look garish and seemed to be aimed at 12 year olds.

I'd personally go for fox 32 talas, nice and light, great forks and adjustable travel. If you want to save some money go for the vans. I've heard lots of positive stuff about the u-turns too.

Based on how badly a couple of friend's of mine's Fox forks shit themselves and how bad the warranty support was I wouldn't go near their products. Marzocchi's quality seems to have got worse since they moved production to the far east, supposedly for 'quality' reasons, but they're still pretty solid. Since SRAM bought them Rockshox have got much better to the degree where I'd now consider buying one - they used to literally last about a month before something broke). Magura forks look to be very well made and work well based on trying a friend's fork, but they're expensive...

Edited by psycholist

Based on how badly a couple of friend's of mine's Fox forks shit themselves and how bad the warranty support was I wouldn't go near their products. Marzocchi's quality seems to have got worse since they moved production to the far east, supposedly for 'quality' reasons, but they're still pretty solid. Since SRAM bought them Rockshox have got much better to the degree where I'd now consider buying one - they used to literally last about a month before something broke). Magura forks look to be very well made and work well based on trying a friend's fork, but they're expensive...

The rockshox warranty is shocking, my Argyles broke and first they took two months to get back to me to say they would not warranty them. That is because apparently they are not meant for dirt jumping, even though they are dj forks and I was using them for 4x. The time delay is even worse seeing as they are right round the corner from me and go the warranty guy is a friend of most of the people from the shop who sent them back to him.

I've been told that the RockShox Revelation's can't be travel adjusted from the top, you have to take them apart and put some kind of spacer in? God that sounds like a hassle!

I want something I can twist the adjustment nob ontop to quickly change the travel?

Also with the Pikes, do they always come with the 20mm Maxle? That won't be any good as I'll need a new hub as well.

Edited by Rob_P

I believe my friend has a set of Revelation forks, they go from 130 to 100mm of travel. They've got the nice flippy-up travel adjusting knob as well, not like my set of Recons.

They're pretty good as well, I'd recommend them.

Edited by Revolver

I see, it's a bit confusing when one person says you have to take them apart to adjust them and your saying they have a travel adjustment nob on top?

I didn't think choosing forks would be this hard! Just some decent, adjustable forks with a turnable nob on top, no fancy axels, for under about £350?

Whatever you do, dont get those 55s.

They are weighty, not great looking imo and not as reliable as the new Rockshox stuff

Like Shrewsbury said, save some cash and get some better forks with the Pikes, iv got a set on my Marin WolfRidge 6.9.

They are absoloubtly spot on, good weight, great adjustment and look the business.

In an ideal world, yes, we would all have Fox Forx, but unfortunatly the are much expensivo!

I see, it's a bit confusing when one person says you have to take them apart to adjust them and your saying they have a travel adjustment nob on top?

I didn't think choosing forks would be this hard! Just some decent, adjustable forks with a turnable nob on top, no fancy axels, for under about £350?

Rob, aslong as you get some rockshox forks that are "U turn" they can be travel adjusted externaly (Y)

Unfornately Pikes dont have a normal Q/R hub option.

Revelations do have Normal Q/R and 20mm maxle options.

Pikes are slightly more on the beefcake/dh side of riding.

What front hub have you got? If its a hope pro2 or bulb you can get 20mm converters. If that were the case i'd got for Pikes.

Only reason I wouldnt go for Fox forks is that the people I know that have owned them have had various reliability issues.

Rockshox and Marzzochi tend to be a bit more fit and forget.

Hope that helps a little.

Fox forks are nice but be prepared to look after the seals and service them regularly (although to be fair all forks need servicing regularly).

My Fox Float seals died after a year, however replacement seals are only £15 and suspension oil is cheap so I got them fixed up for under £25, I was also lucky that I had a mate who knew what he was doing and did the service for me. Fox Recommend you clean the seals and put more oil on the foam rings every 15 hours of riding (I have been known to do this much riding over 2 days!) whereas other forks have much longer service intervals. Saying that I didn't exactly look after the seals on my forks and it took over a year for them to die!

I would say stick with Rockshox or Fox if you can afford. Your bike should be cool for 140mm forks as that's what they now spec on the Marin Hardtails I don't know if they have changed the geometry of the frames though so it might be worth researching into that just in case your frame is designed for 130mm maximum! I wouldn't worry about adjustable forks or lockout etc... but that's my personal preference really, although saying that the U-Turn system would allow you to run the forks at 130mm so you can stick with the same length you already have. I have heard many good things about Revelation forks so if you don't want to upgrade to 20mm axle they are probably your best bet.

Actually, if you want some 2008 Fox Float 140RL forks in good condition that have had a recent seal and oil change I may consider selling them if I can find a good deal on some Pikes! I like my Fox Floats but I would love to upgrade to Pikes just to get the 20mm axle!

Yes, as Chris said any fork described as 'U-turn' will have the outside travel adjust dial for easy adjustment. Almost all rockshox forks can be internally travel adjusted, these will be described as 'all travel' which you want to avoid by the sound of it.

For what you want the Revelations you linked to sound perfect, you can keep your front wheel and with the dual air chambers they are infinitely adjustable. I don't think you'll get much better for the money

Rob, aslong as you get some rockshox forks that are "U turn" they can be travel adjusted externaly (Y)

Unfornately Pikes dont have a normal Q/R hub option.

Revelations do have Normal Q/R and 20mm maxle options.

Pikes are slightly more on the beefcake/dh side of riding.

What front hub have you got? If its a hope pro2 or bulb you can get 20mm converters. If that were the case i'd got for Pikes.

Only reason I wouldnt go for Fox forks is that the people I know that have owned them have had various reliability issues.

Rockshox and Marzzochi tend to be a bit more fit and forget.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks very much, great help! Yeah I guessed the U-turn was RS's system for adjusting travel, sounds good. I've got a crappy shimano hub on the front but I'm planning on getting a pro 2 for the rear, so I may get one for the front to match, so the 20mm option is possible!

The pikes sound perfect then really if I get a new hub, sweet! I was just getting confused with whats better, coil, air and have no idea what an external floodgate is and all that jazz.

Fox forks are nice but be prepared to look after the seals and service them regularly (although to be fair all forks need servicing regularly).

My Fox Float seals died after a year, however replacement seals are only £15 and suspension oil is cheap so I got them fixed up for under £25, I was also lucky that I had a mate who knew what he was doing and did the service for me. Fox Recommend you clean the seals and put more oil on the foam rings every 15 hours of riding (I have been known to do this much riding over 2 days!) whereas other forks have much longer service intervals. Saying that I didn't exactly look after the seals on my forks and it took over a year for them to die!

I would say stick with Rockshox or Fox if you can afford. Your bike should be cool for 140mm forks as that's what they now spec on the Marin Hardtails I don't know if they have changed the geometry of the frames though so it might be worth researching into that just in case your frame is designed for 130mm maximum! I wouldn't worry about adjustable forks or lockout etc... but that's my personal preference really, although saying that the U-Turn system would allow you to run the forks at 130mm so you can stick with the same length you already have. I have heard many good things about Revelation forks so if you don't want to upgrade to 20mm axle they are probably your best bet.

Actually, if you want some 2008 Fox Float 140RL forks in good condition that have had a recent seal and oil change I may consider selling them if I can find a good deal on some Pikes! I like my Fox Floats but I would love to upgrade to Pikes just to get the 20mm axle!

Thanks ticcy! How much would you be after for the float 140RL's? I'm looking to slowly upgrade bits before next summer, I've forgotten how expensive upgrading bike bits are, god knows how I afforded to build my trials bike back in the day.

Great help everyone, seems to have narrowed it down a bit!