How Did Everyone Get Into Trials? (:

TrialItAll

I had a few mates that played around with trials and i used to tag along with them on a very old t-pro ( for the older members here this is pre 2000 model nice and square ) never really got into at that point though. About a year later we decided to go out and have a play and it was from watching this forums very own Andy P that made me want to take up the sport. I couldnt get my head around how he was doing half the stuff but it looked fun. To be honest I still cant get my head around how to do half the stuff but i enjoy riding at walls and bunny hops so its all good. :)

• 1 year later...

Why not.

Danny MacAskill had something to do with it.

Other than that, almost two years ago I moved from a little village with many hills and mountains around, to a town with barely any countryside. So I slowly moved from mountain biking to trials. Glad I did, but my wallet is now an anorexic.

I'll go next.

When I was 18 somebody I worked with rode trials for the then Saracen M.A.D. Trials team. I saw him training and the things he could do on a bike blew my mind. he sold me an old Saracen X-Tort frame . Then I took a break from riding (long relationship) and started up again about 7 months ago and loving it! Can't get enough of it now.

I have rode motorbike trails since i was little so i was already aware of it, then i met this guy called rob up my road who did it and thought it was proper cool. I looked up to him and he inspired me and taught me everything i know today :)

i have been into bikes for as long as i can remember and about 10 years ago i met a guy called tristan weech, who i believe now lives in the US, and he had hydrolic rim brakes!! i asked why on earth he would need these so he showed me, on thing lead to another - mbuk - tricks and stunts - trials kings - holroyd - craig lee scott - i was hooked. gave it all up for fast cars and fast women and now im back :blink:

i have been into bikes for as long as i can remember and about 10 years ago i met a guy called tristan weech, who i believe now lives in the US, and he had hydrolic rim brakes!! i asked why on earth he would need these so he showed me, on thing lead to another - mbuk - tricks and stunts - trials kings - holroyd - craig lee scott - i was hooked. gave it all up for fast cars and fast women and now im back :blink:

Lol'd. I swear this happens to 75% of all men at some point in their life, and the hydraulic brake bit was the same with me too.

i rode Motocross for around 8 Years had to give up because of money (buying a house, family etc..) then got into a little dirt jumping for a short while as i needed my "two wheel fix" then was looking to purchase a BMX to do a bit of street riding, saw the Danny mac Vid on youtube and decided to go for a 24" instead of the BMX, after riding that for a couple of months decided TGS style was more me so brought a 26". 9 Months on and still LOVING IT! :P

just wish i started years ago....!! :(

Im a bit of an old fart in the world of trials (im 39) but i have dabbled with it on and off since I was about 16. MX racing was my passion untill I smashed my legs up and had to have them pinned. But anyhow trials... I was fascinated by it and cant remember where i first saw a trials bike. Back before the internet (shit i really do sound old), In fact a motorcycle dealer in Blackburn had a fantic hanging on their wall & i thought it was amazing. I got a bmx though because all the other kids had them, the fantic disappeared and I forgot about it. Then one saturday I was in Witton park on my BMX and i spotted a lad wheeling around the running track. Round and round. Nuts when I think back!! After that I was then hell bent on turning my BMX into a trials bike, but gave up when I knackered my cranks. Then a few years later my mate who raced BMX at a top level was demoing at a show and he told me about one of the Pi clan (not Ot) who had been there doing a demo on some pallets. I then found out about monty and someone bought me a book on MTB which had a chapter on trials. There were pictures of several trials riders including one guy on an Ibis going over a log section. I pulled the pages out and stuck them on my bedroom wall! I started setting sections in my local woods in and out of a stream and rode them on my bmx until i could get around without dabbing. But I was literally just riding and balancing. Then I lost interest and got into riding my MTB. Then Harry Halls in Manchester (when they were under the Corn Exchange) had a GT on their wall. (i think trials bikes were so rare shop owners always put them up on a wall!!) I got hold of a Sheffield Indoor trials video which had Ot Pi on the first few minuets. I watched it loads and wrote to a dealer for a brochure. Then I got a lucky break when a friend of a friend who rode moto trials was at an international moto trials at Houghton Tower near Blackburn. He turned up to watch on a monty!!! He must of thought who is this weird kid asking me all these questions about my bike. Finally he gave me a go!!! YES i was on a Monty. I rode up to a ditch pulled the front wheel up and then I didn't know what to do so I went ass over tit into the ditch, the kid grabbed his bike and ran off. My mates were laughing but i didn't care i had been on a Monty... I was a bike trialser :rolleyes: A few years passed and a few things stared to appear in MBUK so my orange lost a few chain rings and had it's seat post chopped and I was back in the wood riding over roots. I got bored again and shelved trials for a few years until I got my first decent paid grown up job. I went out and bought all the things I could never afford. I drove over to Hull and picked up a monty from a moto trials dealer. Got it home and floundered for months. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how Ot did a pedal kick or any of that stuff. So I sold it to a guy through TMX News. Skip forward a few more years and trials was in the MTB mags even more so I got the bug yet again and built up a Brisa. But I was big into climbing by this time and traveling all over the UK and Europe climbing so the Brisa and my skills never got a chance. My climbing ended about two years ago with torn tendons form years of over training and after a breif stint doing other stuff a year ago I bought an Echo 20" and i was hooked (again!). I then got a Neon Bow (stock) from Tarty and built that up and I've been at it most days since. I run my own business but I try and get a least an hour a day in. I ride on my own and mainly ride natural. I've mastered most of the basics (nothing huge). I ride what ever the weather and i'm currently working on my.. 'gap to front's'.

So thats it. My life in the world of trials. I often think if i had got my self better informed or stuck at it, I may have been half decent. But then again I may not have done all the other stuff that I have. But I have enjoyed writing this. :) Cheers. :D

Wow ^ that was well worth the read, you started learning in 1988- talk about old school.

How many *proper* trials bikes have you had in 20+ years then?

Edit: added "proper"

Edited by OnzaKid

Wow ^ that was well worth the read, you started learning in 1988- talk about old school.

How many *proper* trials bikes have you had in 20+ years then?

Edit: added "proper"

Proper trials bikes... well i'm on my fourth. Which is not many considering the time i've been dabbling in the sport. Like I say.. I wish I'd of stuck at it early on, made the effort to find other riders and got myself better informed (no internet back then). I may have been a half decent rider now :rolleyes: But I'm enjoying it now more than i ever have. I like riding natural and treat it a bit like climbing, in that I like finding new places to ride, new lines, in nice locations. A few weeks ago I went back to a stream section I'd spotted in the lake district when out on my XC bike. Some folk on here would probably have gapped straight over it!!! But I took the rucksack complete with butties and flask and kept going at two lines most of the day until I nailed them. Despite the odd shower and soaking feet. Lovely spot to sit and rest between tries and have a sip of my brew. Then packed up and went home. My perfect trials day :)

Proper trials bikes... well i'm on my fourth. Which is not many considering the time i've been dabbling in the sport. Like I say.. I wish I'd of stuck at it early on, made the effort to find other riders and got myself better informed (no internet back then). I may have been a half decent rider now :rolleyes: But I'm enjoying it now more than i ever have. I like riding natural and treat it a bit like climbing, in that I like finding new places to ride, new lines, in nice locations. A few weeks ago I went back to a stream section I'd spotted in the lake district when out on my XC bike. Some folk on here would probably have gapped straight over it!!! But I took the rucksack complete with butties and flask and kept going at two lines most of the day until I nailed them. Despite the odd shower and soaking feet. Lovely spot to sit and rest between tries and have a sip of my brew. Then packed up and went home. My perfect trials day :)

Wow only 4, I've had 4 in 2 years of riding on and off. That sounds like an amazing way to spend the day, seems like you do "xc trials", but yeah the internet was a problem back then for you. There must have been trials competitions for you to meet people though? I'd hate riding in the wet, but sounds like a laugh where you're doing it. I assume you're using a stock.

:)

I learned from YouTube. I was searching for a video on mountain bike tricks and one Danny Macaskills video came up the learn do a trick thing. So I clicked clicked and watched all his videos. I did not now what trials bikes where like and what they costed. I assumed they would be cheap, because its a small frame and small components... Boy was I wrong! I was at soccer one day and I playing and I see this strange handle bar and low frame and I realized, god it's a trials bike. So i sprint over and stalk the kid. He had a adamant 24". I then sold all my stuff and gear and belongings to gain enough money to buy the onza zoot for $850. Now I ride all the time with the kid and it bunches of fun.

Edited by Rourke

Wow only 4, I've had 4 in 2 years of riding on and off. That sounds like an amazing way to spend the day, seems like you do "xc trials", but yeah the internet was a problem back then for you. There must have been trials competitions for you to meet people though? I'd hate riding in the wet, but sounds like a laugh where you're doing it. I assume you're using a stock.

:)

Yep it's my favourite way to spend my day (when I get chance!). Riding natural in a nice location is what i like, finding somewhere new and different. The Mrs rides xc a lot so if i'm out with her and spy a good spot, i will return with the trials bike. If it's a walk, I treat it like a warm up, get a stroll on with the bike on my shoulder. Yeh I ride stock, a neon bow 2011, built up with bit's from Tarty. Must say though i'm a bit wary of riding on my own where i can't get a signal on my phone. Which isn't many places these days, but thats a bit sad in it's own way.

The internet was unheard off so we did'nt know any different and I dare say clubs existed but it was hard to find out about them. I think a lot of the moto trials folk used bike trials to train and a few club/comps started that way. But im not sure.

I learned from YouTube. I was searching for a video on mountain bike tricks and one Danny Macaskills video came up the learn do a trick thing. So I clicked clicked and watched all his videos. I did not now what trials bikes where like and what they costed. I assumed they would be cheap, because its a small frame and small components... Boy was I wrong! I was at soccer one day and I playing and I see this strange handle bar and low frame and I realized, god it's a trials bike. So i sprint over and stalk the kid. He had a adamant 24". I then sold all my stuff and gear and belongings to gain enough money to buy the onza zoot for $850. Now I ride all the time with the kid and it bunches of fun.

Haha that made me smile, that was a bit like me other than the fact that I saw the Onza display team doing it at a bike show. And I rode by myself for about 5 months, after finding this forum I found some guys to do it with... And now I know 5-6 odd people in my area that I can ride with.

Yep it's my favourite way to spend my day (when I get chance!). Riding natural in a nice location is what i like, finding somewhere new and different. The Mrs rides xc a lot so if i'm out with her and spy a good spot, i will return with the trials bike. If it's a walk, I treat it like a warm up, get a stroll on with the bike on my shoulder. Yeh I ride stock, a neon bow 2011, built up with bit's from Tarty. Must say though i'm a bit wary of riding on my own where i can't get a signal on my phone. Which isn't many places these days, but thats a bit sad in it's own way.

The internet was unheard off so we did'nt know any different and I dare say clubs existed but it was hard to find out about them. I think a lot of the moto trials folk used bike trials to train and a few club/comps started that way. But im not sure.

You really should make a video of some of your natural riding, I bet it'll be really interesting to watch. Haha my Dad goes riding out doing XC with a couple of his mates, and some of them bring their girlfriend/wife along too.

That's a good idea treating a walk like a warm-up, I'm going to use it from now on when I go to trials locations. I used to just think of it as a massive pain in the arse, in a years time I'll be driving to spots anyways. ^_^

Neon bow 2011? That's a lush bike, a tad bit expensive too. You should bring one of your friends along with you to do trials, it makes the ride a lot more fun. They can also tell you what you did right/wrong and how to improve (even if they don't do trials), and I don't really use my phone when I do trials as I'm usually with another person anyway (and in a street/urban location).

You make it sound like it was damn hard to learn trials back then, haha. I feel sorry for you, it's hard enough trying to find other people to ride with even with the internet...

Hi Martyn Ashton was the one who introduced me to trials after I saw the animal relentless biketour in Portsmouth. I thought the things he could do on a bike were incredible so then i took it up. Not quite as good as him yet though :giggle: . Danny Macaskill is whos inspiring me now.

I came across a Danny mac video on you tube and after watching them over and over again i thought id like to give that ago, and mate of my bro hade a onza t-comp for sale which needed a new rear brake lever and i brought it for £80 of him. Only been trying it for a few mth on and of so along way to go....

Well, When I was about 5 my mum and G-dad were very good at motorcycle trials a entered all the comps all around the country, when I was coming up to my 6th Birthday my mum brought me a gas gas blue and it was a dream! Then my mum took me to the World championships, I met loads of them including Dougie lampkin. We had a good relationship with a friend who owned a quarry in cheddar so we rode there it was excellent! I was not good but I Had fun! Could not hop or anything, But I could go fast :), But then We lost some money, had to sell the bikes. 6 years later me and my granddad Looked back at all the photos Of us from when we had fun on the bike, so we typed it in on google and I found ali c, When I first Saw his videos They were amazing! So my granddad knew a guy that was selling a onza t-pro 04? And we brought it off him And it was amazing, but I needed a upgrade, I went To the Onza rip 2010 then I went to the echo team 07. And the echo has been great ever since. And here we are up to now.

• 1 year later...

saw some man in my town who is fooking amazing on it so i started looking them up and then found my comp! and plus i got fed up with all the bitchy bmx'ers who call you shit even when its clear your new to doing it... after a month of looking i got my first bike :) theres only 4 trials bikes where i live and 2 of them sit locked up in a shed... shame :(

I guess we're bringing this topic back to life...

I've watched my dad do motor trials since before I can remember and after begging for what felt like a life time I was lucky enough to receive a 50cc puch motorbike when I was 6, I went on riding that untill my Dad surprised me with a 110cc pit bike, I was desperate to get into motocross then but since I rode with my dad (who did trials) I was doing more hills etc that is more tied to trials and then again got a 125cc gas gas when I was 12, I loved that so much but since we didn't have enough time to ride my dad bought me an Onza rip for christmas in 09.. Since then I've got more enjoyment out of bike trials :)

Reading over that it makes me look really spoiled... I'm not, just a very lucky boy :)

Edited by Danny00135