Coust Pads From Heatsink?

Mr Bob

Erm Steve..

If you had used the "real Cousts" then the ones he sends you, you'd see the difference. "real" cousts are darker than yours, and better.

He's not gonna just sell his amazing brake compound to anybody is he?

thats why he sells it to a select few.. Ie: Joe Seddon, Carthy etc..

Josh,

I have a pair of cnc ones here( somewhere) but i would reccomend LGM's get the tnn backings- cheaper than cousts and nicer. and you get them from tarty!

Kenny

ahh so you would recoomend the lgm's, just that duncans wore down reallly quickly. I may even just stick with rockblues. If i got the tnns, do you think that just getting the material would be a good idea?

ahh so you would recoomend the lgm's, just that duncans wore down reallly quickly. I may even just stick with rockblues. If i got the tnns, do you think that just getting the material would be a good idea?

They didn't wear down really quickly though, they had loads of meat on them. I'll give a vote for the tnn's in tnn backings.

Erm Steve..

If you had used the "real Cousts" then the ones he sends you, you'd see the difference. "real" cousts are darker than yours, and better.

He's not gonna just sell his amazing brake compound to anybody is he?

thats why he sells it to a select few.. Ie: Joe Seddon, Carthy etc..

Note that pigment variation can occur between batches and doesn't mean the compound is different. I asked Michel to straighten out these bizarre allegations from some quarters that he would intentionally sell inferior pads to shops whilst lying that they were the compound used by the Coust brothers (Y)

Here's his response:

Salut Steve,

C'est les mêmes patins que utilisent Gilles et Giacomo.

Je ne vois pas pourquoi je te vendrais des patins differents.

Je comprends tes questions, mais ne t'inquiètes pas , tu as les mêmes rubbers que gilles et Giaco utilisent.

Michel

In short, he refutes these allegations and can't understand why someone would think it would make sense for him to sell different Coust pads to HSB.

HeatsinkBikes sell "Real Coust" pads, and these now come with 20% extra of this supreme pad compound as well as the choice of being ready fitted into the market leading V2 Heatsink CNC Magura or Vee backings. The original and best superstar CNC backings!

Steve

Ok, i stand corrected, there just seems to be a marked performance difference between the two.

There are so many variables if you're comparing different pads on different bikes. How the pads are set up, rim roughness, presence of grime and grease on the braking surfaces. Naturally a truely fair comparison is never very easy to do (Same bike, proper measurements, exactly the same rim and level of cleanliness of braking surfaces). Taking this premise further, it's surely impossible to do a comparison between a brake set-up in 2004 and now? Sometimes we are all guilty of looking back with rose tinted spectacles. I know that my first Trials bike seemed the best frame I've ever ridden compared to my current, but the cold facts of the geometry tell the real story!

I'm handling Coust pads everyday, preparing them for brake pads and able to assess the material properties in a straight-forward scientific way which isn't clouded by other variables. There's no denying that these pads sat in front of me have an exceptional coefficient of friction and durability which justifies their reputation. I still have samples myself from 2004 in the original Coust backings. My tests show no drop in quality for 2009.

Steve

So if someone was to send you some original material from what people are calling the original Cousts could you do a fair documented test to see if what people are saying could be true?

In my opinion the best pads you sold aren't available any more, bring back heatsink reds!

Not gonna lie, given the choice Reds are the only pads I'd run and mine are running low!

I ran a set of Cousts a while back and whilst the raw switch-like on/off performance was phenominal in all conditions, they were epically loud which I hated! The bloody things even set off a car alarm by being so lairy. Reds give the perfect performance for how I ride, along with virtual silence. Spot on (Y)

Whilst they're not available I'm going to have to try other material, though I'll most likely stay within the Heatsink range I'd imagine. Should I not be able to run HSB rubber, there's still a whoooooole host of other Heatsink branded goodies on my bike to cover that base that sure as hell won't be going anywhere any time soon!

Back in the day (2004) I bought some directly off Mr Coust and it was AMAZING. I bought some of the newer stuff from him (2008ish) and it wasn't very good at all.

That's something I've heard from almost every rider who used the original Coust compound in the short white pads.

I used to have some '06 Coustsinks and they were absolutely amazing, after a few years I replaced the pad material and the braking was never as good anymore.

They're still awesome brake pads though.

Just guessing here, but could it be possible that coust pads were too good for their time, and as other pads got better and more available coust pads stayed the same and they seemed to get worse relative to the whole break pad market getting better?

:unsure:

Hmm, I still think its not the same as what the coust bros use. I ordered some material from them directly and they sent me exactly what they send you, however I have had first hand experience with the real compound and there is a difference.

It's definetly not the same! I used both:

Original Coust pads from Michel are filled with 1 centimeter or pads and have a great sound where as Heatsink ones make the same sound as try all clear pads!