Trialtech Cock Up?

ogre

Yeah, but he appeared to be implying that there was still a problem with that, just that the 'significant' problem was removed. I was curious at to what those 'problems' might be.

He's probably refering to the fact that a smaller radius will be a bigger stress riser than a larger radius and given that the radii on the square holes are a lot smaller than the radius of the circular holes, the square holes present themselves as bigger stress risers.

However what is missing here is an understanding of the loading in that area. My guess is there isn't much which means that while the smaller radii will have increased stress in that area, the stress magnitude itself is not significant compared with other areas of the rim.

Trialtech rims aren't, they have a nice rounded corner, but I have done it in the past with a rough as buggery file and it still doesn't crack.

Hmm, I guess a rounded corner would still be stronger even if you were to crack the corners :P

Castles had their corners changed from square to round, less hard to knock down. Presuming the same is with holes cut out of rims. Lol.

square to round, less hard to knock down.

doesnt really mean that they wont work to a decent tolerance, because the die and punch must fit each other, other wise bang, get what im saying

lol ok i thought they were going on about the size of the holes,not the profile of the extrution........ not had much to do with them so ll shut up

He's probably refering to the fact that a smaller radius will be a bigger stress riser than a larger radius and given that the radii on the square holes are a lot smaller than the radius of the circular holes, the square holes present themselves as bigger stress risers.

However what is missing here is an understanding of the loading in that area. My guess is there isn't much which means that while the smaller radii will have increased stress in that area, the stress magnitude itself is not significant compared with other areas of the rim.

Bang on.

and yeah I totally agree, hence it not being a significant problem (Y)

Bloody engineers :P

:lol:

Sorry, being on placement and having no coursework leaves me wanting to pick holes in stuff just for the sake of debate haha