Hey Does Anyone Out There Know Where To Find Tar

onza_rip95

I have magura hs33 hydraulic rim brakes and I like to use tar but I am constantley having to borrow it from other people with me (which is fine) but sometimes im on my own and need tar but I dont have any.

So I was wondering does anyone out there know where to find or buy tar???

I have magura hs33 hydraulic rim brakes and I like to use tar but I am constantley having to borrow it from other people with me (which is fine) but sometimes im on my own and need tar but I dont have any.

Yer mate why not just get it from the road side. Its free and does the job !

Yer mate why not just get it from the road side. Its free and does the job !

Hey thanks but alot of the time if you get tar from the road side it'll have stones in it and scratch you're rims when applied. It would probably be usable if there was a way to get the stones out from the tar. any ideas???

hi, I used tar a few years back, used to have great difficulty getting it, tried roads etc. but it was rarely thick enough to pull off the road with a great deal of success, then I realised that it is used all the time in big quantities along coastal/beach paths next to my home town, picture a foot path along the side of a beach, one which is not made from paving stones but more poured concrete (its got a sort rippled bumpy effect)! After each section of concrete is poured there is a small gap, this is where you will find your black gold, poured in the gap usually about an inch deep by an inch wide, running right along the length of the path (4 feet roughly).

An added bonus is that because your next to the beach that sometimes the tar is unable to grip the concrete properly because of the sand that got around the gap before they poured it in, so if you start at the end of the path and grab the end of the poured tar and pull it often comes off in huge quantities. The same can be said for certain types of roads which are poured concrete although because there is no sand the tar can be more difficult to get off because it binds better with the surface of the concrete.

Depending on the weather it can sometimes be soft, just leave it in the cold garage or shed it may also have sand on it on the out side but that's OK, once it feels more solid you can use it. I always found applying it easier by braking (or snapping) a block off and using the new revealed side which should be a shiny jet black colour instead of the sides that may still have sand or dirt on.

Edited by japslap

When I ran maggie,Tom rankin once told me."you dont need tar,just a beasty grind".

And the man speaks the truth. Seriously, iv ridden with and without tar and nothing compares with a well ground, well set up brake.

The only time i can see tar being useful is if you don't own a grinder and it can take a little time between grinds to get hold of one and refresh your rim.

As for where to get it from, i headed down to my local roofing supplier with some Haribo and they gave me a handfull of marble sized bits for nothing.