Roadie Sizes.

aener

I'm after a roadie to get places, and I've found one i like the look of for sub £200 full build.

Trouble is - it's a 60cm frame, and I'm 5'9". I've been told this is quite a bit too big for me - but its really nice lookin' and cheap.

Just throught I'd check out.

Ts.

I'm after a roadie to get places, and I've found one i like the look of for sub £200 full build.

Trouble is - it's a 60cm frame, and I'm 5'9". I've been told this is quite a bit too big for me - but its really nice lookin' and cheap.

Just throught I'd check out.

Ts.

Is that 60cm seat tube? My LoPro is 59cm, and fits me perfectly with a 34" inside leg (6' overall) On a normal frame I'd be a 60cm, so it would be bordering on dangerous for you to ride this frame.

Your 6 foot and would ride a 60cm?!? I'm 6'1" and ride a 56, 60 is like trying to ride a penny farthing for me.

In traditional sizing the measurement is a vertical line from the centre of BB to the top tube where the top tube was always horizontal. Nowadays because frames all have sloping top tubes this measurement is purely virtual which is what makes it confusing. Most manufacturers now give the seatube length which just confuses things even more. On a modern frame my 56cm equivalent size might be around 52cm... all very silly. I tend to stick to top tube length which is what usually matters, about 55-56cm is good for me. But whatever measurement your using, 60cm is miles too big for somebody at 5'9" i'm afraid

Your 6 foot and would ride a 60cm?!? I'm 6'1" and ride a 56, 60 is like trying to ride a penny farthing for me.

You're talking about modern geometry. They call it 'compact geometry', because the tendency is to have a shorter seat tube, relative to the top tube and rest of the geometry, and the top tube sloping down. With this geo, the idea is to have a fair bit of seatpost sticking out.

I was talking about proper road bikes with horizontal top tubes, and frames made out of steel :P However, my carbon Orbea was 56cm, and I was fitted for that properly.

The impression I get from the first post is that he's talking about an older stye, steel bike.

No, if you actually read my post I was talking about and explained both. I work in the trade I know what compact is...

I worked in a cycle performance centre for four years, and part of my job was fitting people for custom frames. I'll find a photo of the bike I'm talking about, and a I'll get a photo of me on it.

Here you go:

60cm Alan, fits me perfectly.

4136323242_7704e36b3d.jpg

612mm shorter (measured c-t), fit's me perfecctly.

4136327926_90bb1b4962.jpg

60cm Lo-Pro, fits me perfectly.

4034901935_e3f5dae101.jpg

I also rode an orbea with for a while asa training bike. It has 'semi-compact' geo and a 56cm seat tube. It was properly fitted for me, by my boss.

'