14 Colours - New Echo Products

Mark W

Just seen this on Tarts website.

Holy stem stackers Mr deng!

Actually we put the extra 20mm in there, since the bike only comes with 10mil. Better for the steerer to be too long for some riders and they can cut it down (personally I would leave it like that), than it be too short and they need to buy new parts for their new bike!

• Like 1

Actually we put the extra 20mm in there, since the bike only comes with 10mil. Better for the steerer to be too long for some riders and they can cut it down (personally I would leave it like that), than it be too short and they need to buy new parts for their new bike!

This. i hate it when you get second hand forks where people have cut the hell out of them.

If you've added 20mm worth of spacers, surely that means the steer tube sits 20mm into the stem?

If you've added 20mm worth of spacers, surely that means the steer tube sits 20mm into the stem?

Or that Deng usually expects them to cut the steerers down on full builds. Much better idea to keep them full length though (Y)

What Cai said. We cut around 10mm or so off the steerers from when they come out the box to run them at that length as it is. 30mm seems like a pretty happy medium really.

One thing to bear in mind as well is stem choice - the Pures come with a relative short stem compared to what a lot of riders run on them aftermarket (quite a few people run 150x30 stems on them), so it helps keep the bars at a reasonable height even if it looks a little strange to people used to seeing stems 'slammed'.

It does allow the rider to customise their bike for their own preference though I suppose. The Koxx bikes come with a relatively short steerer as standard so you lose that option on there where some riders might want to be able to raise the front end a bit.

As a shop we have to build the bikes entirely from scratch (incl. wheels, etc.) so it's not really the end of the world as it's just part of the service of assembling a bike for a customer - in the same way that the 4-bolt mounts need filing, disc mounts need facing, etc. I guess if you were buying direct from China though it might suck a bit because you'd have a bit more work to do as the end user.

Arent the steps sloped for more knee / chest clearance? If so, why have a sloping top cap with a massive clamp section?

Do you mean steerer or bar clamp? The steerer clamp area is still lower than a normal TR stem and is as much in line with the stem body as possible for a welded stem. The top of the stem itself is lower than before so you still get a bit more chest clearance than previously. With a forged one you can get it all nice and smooth but that's about as close as they could get. Still a huge improvement over the old TRunter stem even if Cap's raging at having to cut steerers at angles...