For The Xc Guys...

rupintart

One of our employees got this from UPS today:

feltltd6.jpg

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2010-Produ...es/SIX-LTD.aspx

You might be thinking "OK, so what...." Funny thing is, the guy that bought this buys a new bike maybe like once every decade. He buys TOTL, but it's rare to see him buy ANYTHING. The guy didn't run a suspension fork on his MTB until 2003. this year he bought a Carbon Roadbike, and now that. So it's quite the turn of the century for us to watch him purchase, hahaha

"ok, so what..."

Felt didn't get any pre-season orders on it, so it never went into production. That bike used on the website, is THE BIKE he received. Literally, he has the only one. Kinda ironic, but neat at the same time since it's Felt, and not some boutique brand. Those tubes btw, are f**king MASSIVE in person. Like bigger than Giant Glory downtube large. Bike weighs in at 20lbs 15oz with XTR pedals and tubes.

Sorry for the shitty celly pic, but it was pretty neat to see getting built.

I'm guessing it was around £1000?

Ha ha, i think it was probably closer to £5000.

XC bikes can get damn pricey, this is the same series but much much lower down the line, almost base model.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?partno=37503

£1800

This is pretty much the production version of what topic starters work friend has.

http://www.northhantsbikes.co.uk/Felt_The_...ardtail_MTB.htm

£4800 so i was close.

Ha ha, i think it was probably closer to £5000.

XC bikes can get damn pricey, this is the same series but much much lower down the line, almost base model.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?partno=37503

£1800

This is pretty much the production version of what topic starters work friend has.

http://www.northhantsbikes.co.uk/Felt_The_...ardtail_MTB.htm

£4800 so i was close.

W0W :o:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O:O

And I thought my Dads £2000 full susp was costy...

Well, if you look on the Felt website in the OP, they have the MSRP on it for every model. MSRP on that bike was $6900....if it went into production.

The website and picture does that bike no justice as to how swank it looks in person. The downtube and BB area are HUUUUGE. The width of the toptube is HUUUGE. Bike is really stout looking, it's amazing how light it is.

Edited by rupintart

• 3 weeks later...

Yeh it wasn't a dig ha ha.

I spent £1000 on my DJ bike and that was getting to an acceptable level, XC bikes are getting so pricey now its un-true.

Since when?! Top end bikes have always been around the 4k mark, if you're looking from the boutique brands with a top end custom build you're looking more at the 5 k mark. Those sort of figures have always been the norm its just now you get a lot more bike for your money when you look to spend 2k rather than 4k, personally i think 4k on a top of the line full sus XC bike is great value compared to 2k on a rigid, singelspeed trials bike.

Since when?! Top end bikes have always been around the 4k mark, if you're looking from the boutique brands with a top end custom build you're looking more at the 5 k mark. Those sort of figures have always been the norm its just now you get a lot more bike for your money when you look to spend 2k rather than 4k, personally i think 4k on a top of the line full sus XC bike is great value compared to 2k on a rigid, singelspeed trials bike.

I know they've always been pricey, I used to ride XC, but i mean now there are bikes reaching the 14k mark, thats just insanity!!

I know they've always been pricey, I used to ride XC, but i mean now there are bikes reaching the 14k mark, thats just insanity!!

But thats my point, those ridiculously high priced bikes have always been around, if you've bought the best of the best of the rarest kit. its just that these "super" bikes are more openly available now due to ebtter advertising and more coverage from the net. Most of the lightest bikes produced can't be valued because so many of the bits are handbuilt custom items. Carbon front mechs with ti springs all custom designed and put together by someone with too much time and money.

I think the estimated rpice they put on Greg Minaars Honda was around the 25k mark....

But thats my point, those ridiculously high priced bikes have always been around, if you've bought the best of the best of the rarest kit. its just that these "super" bikes are more openly available now due to ebtter advertising and more coverage from the net. Most of the lightest bikes produced can't be valued because so many of the bits are handbuilt custom items. Carbon front mechs with ti springs all custom designed and put together by someone with too much time and money.

I think the estimated rpice they put on Greg Minaars Honda was around the 25k mark....

Yeah but that was because of the R&D costs associated with making a handful of bikes that no one actually bought.

I'm not sure bike prices are changing too much though - I remember at least 10 years ago, high-end bikes were over £4000. Surely inflation will have taken prices up quite a lot since then?

I'm not sure bike prices are changing too much though - I remember at least 10 years ago, high-end bikes were over £4000. Surely inflation will have taken prices up quite a lot since then?

But the sport has become bigger, production methods more efficient and as such production costs have fallen. If you look at bikes today compared to 3-4 years ago, their relative spec has dropped because of the increase in oem parts, i know a few years ago some shimano parts nearly doubled in trade price. I haven't seen any trade prices of bikes for a while so i don't know if the companies are running off the same margins still.