Spoke Chain Tensioner

Guantanamo

Thanks, can't see who i'd do that on my pro 2 trials though?

Hi searched through the forum for a thread about making a spoke chain tensioner, couldn't seem to find one though. Any one got a tutorial or a link to one? Wouldn't mind trying it out before i shell out for a rohloff.

Thanks

Ad

I see how i'd do it now. Does it not get caught as you pedal backwards though?

• 4 years later...

Mega bump. I would like to still use my snailcams. Is there any way to make a spoke tensioner w/o using the snail cam screw hole?

The reason is that the stupid Because frame isn't long or short enough to run a 18/14 w/o using a half link. This snapped on my yesterday so I'd rather use a longer chain w/ a spoke tensioner until I get the 74 kings.

Edited by niconj

I'm guessing if there is any exposed area of the snail cam (not hidden by the dropout) that you could just drill a hole tthrough it and set the spoke accordingly??

Thanks. This should be possible. So I just set the spoke into the new hole, wrap it around the axle a couple of times and put it onto the chain from above?

No thanks. :D It's only for a couple of weeks until the 74Kings tensioner arrives. I just realized that I don't even have to drill a hole into my snail cam as it is a Trialtech steel one with many holes in it. Now I just need to get hold of a road spoke. The only one I have here is a Sapim X-Ray and I don't think it'll work.

Ok. The 74kings has arrived today but it doesn't fit! Bloody hell!!! The snail cam bolt is in its way and mounting the snail cam on the outside doesn't work either as the wheel would move. :(

Is there another way to get the chain tightened w/o using a half link or a spoke as a tensioner? I have a spoke mounted right now and it seems to work but it's kinda discomforting to be honest.

I may use a half link again and my new Park Tool CT3.2 which is better quality than my old one.

Ok. The 74kings has arrived today but it doesn't fit! Bloody hell!!! The snail cam bolt is in its way and mounting the snail cam on the outside doesn't work either as the wheel would move. :(

Is there another way to get the chain tightened w/o using a half link or a spoke as a tensioner? I have a spoke mounted right now and it seems to work but it's kinda discomforting to be honest.

I may use a half link again and my new Park Tool CT3.2 which is better quality than my old one.

Picture? could you mount the tensioner on the outside?

Can you take a lttle notch out of the tensioner?

Doesn't work either. It's right in the middle of it. Kinda sucks but I think the tensioner wasn't made for frames that supposedly work with snail cams and the right gear ratio. Unfortunately, neither 18/14 nor 18/15 works w/o a half link. Stupid Because frame. Should've bought the Echo one!

I was wondering... if the frame doesn't work with neither gear ratios, could this be a warranty issue? I don't think that trials frames are designed to be used with half links as they aren't really reliable.

Funny thing is that their website is down.

Edited by niconj

How long are your chainstays?

A stretched chain running 18-15 should fit perfectly.

They are 355 from the middle of the bottom bracket to the front end of the dropout. For 18/14 I'd need 2.5mm less but that would result in the Magura pads being too low. A stretched chain and 18/15 would put the wheel even further out and I don't think that a chain stretches 5mm for it to fit with 18/14 either.

I would really like to know for what gear ratio this frame was designed for as neither one fits w/o a tensioner. 18/13 should fit but again, with the wheel all the way in the dropouts the Magura pads stand over the rim quite a bit.

This is how it looks now:

14182181940_0a70ac3e05_z.jpg
FILE0020 von niconj auf Flickr
Edited by niconj

Assuming it's the 2012 Simple frame the dropouts should be 367mm from the centre of the BB to the centre(ish) of the dropouts, 18-15 works at just over 365mm so with a bit of stretch it should be ideal and 18-14 comes to 368mm.

Assuming it's the 2012 Simple frame the dropouts should be 367mm from the centre of the BB to the centre(ish) of the dropouts, 18-15 works at just over 365mm so with a bit of stretch it should be ideal and 18-14 comes to 368mm.

Well... I've tried a stretched chain and it is still too short for 18/14. As there's a 5mm gap between the links when I try to join the chain the chain would have to stretch 5mm which it doesn't I think. At 18/15 the chain would have to stretch even more or am I mistaken?