Ashton Effect

TrialsMan Dan

After a very long wait, ive finally got my hands on an Effect. Only had it 3 weeks (although 2 of those weeks were spent in the LBS getting a new chain and tensioner sorted- not impressed by Raleigh's service to be honest but they ended up fitting parts they already had in the shop). Some pics i took yesterday in a break of the wet weather....

p4pb4757682.jpg

p4pb4757689.jpg

p4pb4757747.jpg

p4pb4757694.jpg

p4pb4757877.jpg

Why would it skip if he has a chain tensioner?

If there's not much chain wrap, shit can go down. With single wheel tensioners and tiddly sprockets, if you tension it on the underside of the jockey wheel it doesn't give much wrap around the sprocket so it can leap like a salmon off that piece.

The geometry looks pretty good at a glance. I wonder how it compares to the ET frames. Slightly longer I'm guessing?

I believe its not far off the ET frames.

looks good, are you running the standard gearing ? when i got mine i couldnt even ride on flat land because the chain just skipped, changed to 22-14 and now recently changed to 22-16, 22-16 is so much better, i got that seat clamp but in blue hehe.

chris

Yep im running standard gearing atm, my LBS changed the chain and tensioner after the standard chain snapped due to it skipping. Im going to change to 22:15 soon, gearing is a bit hard for trialsy stuff and it still skips occasionaly but not as bad as what it was. Ohh and the seat clamp, well thats off my XC bike after I broke the original one lol :$

Edited by TrialsMan Dan

Another good reason (aside from the main reason that it looks retarded) not to run super-small front cogs, like the micro one-piece Middleburn ones. Still, if you're already on a 22T, I wouldn't expect skipping, but that said, I always run a mech. I think I'd go for 22:18 although that might be too low for street stuff.

Will that tensioner allow you to tension upwards? I'm assuming that's as short as the chain will go without the need for a half link, so if you can tension upwards then you'll get the most chain wrap possible leading to less skipping from that, along with keeping things out the way nicely (Y)

Bike looks really tidy, good job man :)

Will that tensioner allow you to tension upwards? I'm assuming that's as short as the chain will go without the need for a half link, so if you can tension upwards then you'll get the most chain wrap possible leading to less skipping from that, along with keeping things out the way nicely (Y)

Bike looks really tidy, good job man :)

Aye cheers mate, yeah the tensioner will tension up the way just by changing the spring to underneath the body but either the arm is too long or just the way the chainstay comes down doesnt give enough room to do so. I might give 22:16 a go but i stil want enough speed so i think 22:15 would be best.

Couple more piccies....

p4pb4785089.jpg

p4pb4785087.jpg

p4pb4785088.jpg

Think I'm going to go for a British theme with this. Obviously the frame and most of the parts are from the UK, the Maggie and the Truvativ crankset are exceptions but so far the British components are as follows:

Inspired pivotal seat

DMR V8 pedals

DMR Tensionseeker 2

Trialtech sticker :giggle:

A few upgrades to come, all British:

Hope Mono trial front brake

Inspired handlebars

Trialtech drilled front rim on Hope Pro 2, still undecided on a rear rim but would obviously be laced to a Pro 2 trials hub.

Out of all that lot - i think only the Hope hub will actually be produced in England.

So? Or were you just saying.

Shame you couldnt get out on Wednesday night buddy. We had a ride for about 2 hours down at the water front and surrounding area. Is there much more to ride out with the centre?

Shame you couldnt get out on Wednesday night buddy. We had a ride for about 2 hours down at the water front and surrounding area. Is there much more to ride out with the centre?

Not much at all, everything is pretty much within the town centre, then theres the skatepark futher down the road. Yeah some decent stuff down by the river, if you're back down here sometime soon i'll show you about (Y)

to be honest i would of spent the money on a new front brake and bars in stead of geting a back brake, seat, seat clamp,chain tesioner and pedals. Looks good though. Go ashton ;)

chris

My local bike shop upgraded the back brake, chain tensioner and pedals.