Jumping On The Brakeless 24" Bandwagon...

AdamR28

Had a couple of brakeless rides on our shop Inspired, then buggered my ankle... but still gonna give brakeless a try. It's refreshing to have to learn all over again after having been riding for so long! Contrary to popular belief, having a brakeless bike is COMPLETELY different to just death-gripping a brake-d bike. Anyone who's been riding a long time and are getting a bit bored of 'normal' trials - I recommend you try this, I'm confident you'll find it very good fun and be surprised at how fast the learning curve is.

Anyway, photos...

bcos1.jpg

bcos2.jpg

bcos3.jpg

bcos4.jpg

bcos5.jpg

The latest incarnation of the Spoke Tensionerâ„¢ and Pro2 hub modified to 96 engagements.

bcos6.jpg

Not had a measure or a ride yet, but geo is around +25, 375, 1050 (would like some Inspired forks to shrink that a bit I think). Bars *look* high but they are actually lower than Stan's Echo as the head tube is quite short.

Cheers

Adam

96 engagements? what have you done to it? :P

sounds dodgy haha

Guessing the old ground down pawls mod, so instead of engaging at 2x2 to give 48, he's ground two pawls down so now it's engaging at 4x1 to give 96. Scary thought.... :P

Looks good Ad, I'm not a fan of all these Tarty 24s coming out now, they're not ghetto enough!

Guessing the old ground down pawls mod, so instead of engaging at 2x2 to give 48, he's ground two pawls down so now it's engaging at 4x1 to give 96. Scary thought.... :P

Looks good Ad, I'm not a fan of all these Tarty 24s coming out now, they're not ghetto enough!

so only one pawl holding it at any one time?!

DAAAAAYM

sexy bike though

he's ground two pawls down so now it's engaging at 4x1 to give 96.

Yeah that's the one, can't really see a reason why it'd die (especially as it's the needle bearing version of the hub), but we'll see :)

Tensioner is a spoke, see photo 6.

There's literally no reason that 24s need to look 'ghetto' in any way. MTB always copies BMX styles, but a few years behind hence it being 'cool' to have a bike that looked like shit. Surely that phase has finished now? BMXs that look like piles of shit went out of fashion about 7-8 years ago, so surely the MTB mindset has moved on now too? Equally, how can you make a brand new bike look 'ghetto'?

to be honest I don't really care about looking ghetto either, it's just my brakeless 24" is made from a childs Trek mountain bike, so I like to say it's because it's supposed to be ghetto. it's actually just so shit it's not worth spending money on.

The only reason it's brakeless is that the wheels bend like cheese even if you just bunnyhop something.

Yeah that's the one, can't really see a reason why it'd die (especially as it's the needle bearing version of the hub), but we'll see :)

Tensioner is a spoke, see photo 6.

Aye it should be as strong, all I'm thinking is with my Pro2, when it skips it only clicks as if one pawl has skipped over the edge of the tooth, if you only had one pawl engageing at once it do a proper banging round of the cranks skip.

It's a good idea though, it'll be interesting to hear how it holds up.

one of the nices 24's out there proper have a thing for those frames atm blushing.gif

i want 96 ep in my pro 2 but i dont want 96 stitches in my face when it blows up bet it sounds amazing though, and why the need for a tensioner when its horizontal dropout ?

Edited by WIGAN

Can 'slam' the wheel so it's never going to slip forward more, and have the shortest CS length possible, then just wang a spoke tensioner on it. Super easy to use, super light - not really much of a problem.

is a spoke tensioner a good idea for a mod? I want to bring the backwheel forward but can't get it all the way, even with a half link

There's three considerations with a mod:

- Will the brake mounts still line up

- Will there be enough chain wrap around the rear sprocket for it not to skip

- Is there is enough space to fit the tensioner in...

My gut feeling would be maybe, no, and no... but could be worth a try!

The other reason I have one is that it takes any slack out of the chain if the threads on your cranks aren't perfectly concentric, plus when you preload to kick the chain doesn't go all flappy.

There's three considerations with a mod:

- Will the brake mounts still line up

- Will there be enough chain wrap around the rear sprocket for it not to skip

- Is there is enough space to fit the tensioner in...

My gut feeling would be maybe, no, and no... but could be worth a try!

The other reason I have one is that it takes any slack out of the chain if the threads on your cranks aren't perfectly concentric, plus when you preload to kick the chain doesn't go all flappy.

Good point, good point, and good point

Guess i'll stick to how it is

Iam now almost considering moving ....

Why, to join the brakeless northern crew!?!

Btw myself and Mr Rainbird will be heading up to Brizzol for a roll on the 24" toys next thurs and friday if you're about :D

Bike looks pretty nice Adam, agree with the change in forks, its long! Don't think i have the balls to try brakeless on the 24" :( :$

Bike looks pretty nice Adam, agree with the change in forks, its long! Don't think i have the balls to try brakeless on the 24" :( :$

Cheers man! Ahh just give it a bosh, it's not that daunting surprisingly, just have a mess about on some kerbs and you'll get a feel for it quite quickly.

Can 'slam' the wheel so it's never going to slip forward more, and have the shortest CS length possible, then just wang a spoke tensioner on it. Super easy to use, super light - not really much of a problem.

What is the spoke wrapped around? im very interested in this, you need to post a how too lol.

Cheers man! Ahh just give it a bosh, it's not that daunting surprisingly, just have a mess about on some kerbs and you'll get a feel for it quite quickly.

Granted i do tend to use the brakes on my 24" as little as possible i guess i just like the security net they give if something goes wrong... I'm sure if Rowan comes out next weekend i'll be giving it a bash.