24" - Recommend Forks?

cant_ride

Heyho,

Just ordered my 24" to be built up over the next few months. I'm pretty set on most parts but forks I'm not sure about?

I was going to go for Pashley forks as I've always loved 'em. Do 24" specific forks, such as the Because forks, have a different height or is it just the brake lugs lower down to accommodate the smaller rim? Just wanted to try and gauge how forks are going to affect the overall geometry on a 24"

Cheers

Oli

Edited by cant_ride

Welcome back Oli!

24" forks have the same geo as 26" ones, just the brake mounts are moved down :)

Ads

Ta Adam! I have a month or two to ponder it over in any case. You guys are all up near Preston right.. Where do you ride? I really need to get out.

Oli

think the best forks out there for 24" are the inspireds right now.

super strong, little less rake than most 26" forks, 24" specific mounts and handy cable route/screw in top cap for all your whipping needs.

Yeah I like the look of them but I'd rather have a curved blade. Just my aesthetic preference. Also if I run brakes at all I'd want disc (which I'm sorted for for any fork) or V which the inspired don't have mounts for. I don't really want to have untidy adapters hanging around.

I don't know.. maybe I should just sit on my arse and play Playstation instead.

Oli

Front disc is the only way for 24. I have no idea how people can handle front rim brakes for 24s, they just don't really suit especially for street. Less modulation and more noise - there's nothing good about that!

Forks wise, Inspired really are the best out there. I went from some Atomz 26" forks to the Inspired forks and they feel noticeably stiffer, and the change in rake and length made my bike a lot more nimble and responsive. Other than those, Stan's Echo Urbans seemed to work pretty well for him 'til he moved into the 21st Century and got some Inspireds too :P

Front disc is the only way for 24. I have no idea how people can handle front rim brakes for 24s, they just don't really suit especially for street. Less modulation and more noise - there's nothing good about that!

Lies. Nothing wrong with a front vee so long as you set it up right, plus it's lighter too if you're that way inclined ;)

Weight's the only advantage I can really see to running a front V on street. There are so many more pros for discs than there are Vs, with virtually no cons apart from perhaps the initial expense. Other than that, they totally dominate.

Not wanting to get into a mass debate about it, from a personal point of view I can honestly say I couldn't want anything else from a front brake. That's on a like-for-like comparison though, obviously.

That said, I live in the tropical south and tend not to ride in torrential SkyPiss in which a front disc would probably take the edge :)

I've already got a vintage Hope mini so disc it is! And yeah, as great as Inspired forks sound they're about twice the price of my first choice.. bikes are a bloody nightmare!

Oli

Edited by cant_ride

How would you 'see what the fuss is about' just from having a go on someone else's bike? If you couldn't feel that they were stiffer than your currents forks, well... I don't really see how that's possible, but you wouldn't necessarily feel the change of the geo on them simply by 'having a go' on someone's bike.

How would you 'see what the fuss is about' just from having a go on someone else's bike? If you couldn't feel that they were stiffer than your currents forks, well... I don't really see how that's possible, but you wouldn't necessarily feel the change of the geo on them simply by 'having a go' on someone's bike.

We had a full build Inspired to play on for four days, my bad, I was being rather flippant in my description. Had them on a 26" for two of those days.

My vote is still for the Pashleys. (Y)

Had a go of some Inspired forks at the weekend, I dont see what all the fuss is about.

I'd stick with your gut feeling and go with some Pashleys... This might let you make your decision.

Exactly what I'm going for ;) what bash and seat you running.. I've also seen them in my visions?

Oli