Hook Help

shetlandtrialsrider

remember to keep your weight forward. Once you get your weight over the front, get it FURTHER over the front! the more weight you get over the front wheel when you land, the less you have to do in the 2nd part With proper technique, you don't need to use brakes to hook.

Like others have said, learning on a sloped wall or pallets is the first step. Its alot easier than hooking a vertical wall and shouldn't be too hard to learn.

How long would you say it takes to learn?

i was trying to do it for about 2 days then gave up.

I think it took me at least a year to go from hooking pallets to hooking vertical walls, although bikes ride a bit better now than they did then!

I'm just heading up the learning curve too.

Start on slanted walls, or even a mini-ramp in a skate-park was a decent start :P

I'm by no means in a position to instruct on this - I can only get them at about 75* max - but I'd say the same as Ali C.

Agree with Mr. Johns, too. Somehow I find my brakeless 609 easier to hook than my Levelboss mod, which has rather good brakes.

Edit: I've been attempting them for about 3 months, and can't take a vertical wall seriously. Just seems totally out of this world.

Edited by aener

I'm just heading up the learning curve too.

Start on slanted walls, or even a mini-ramp in a skate-park was a decent start :P

I'm by no means in a position to instruct on this - I can only get them at about 75* max - but I'd say the same as Ali C.

Agree with Mr. Johns, too. Somehow I find my brakeless 609 easier to hook than my Levelboss mod, which has rather good brakes.

Edit: I've been attempting them for about 3 months, and can't take a vertical wall seriously. Just seems totally out of this world.

do you mean inches there? because over 6ft is very high even on a slightly sloped wall

hey im lerning to hook my self and i have problems too

i find it hard to run into a vertical wall in full speed

i just crash into it and bounce back

any tips for that?

I dont no about anyone else but,

when i do hooks i dont go at it as fast as i can, you obviously need a little speed ( cant just go at it at the speed of a turtle with a limp)

I find if you go too fast you can not lift your bike has high, making it alot harder

I also think you can consontrate on the technique more when going at it slower.

You need to try and convert your weight from where it is when you lift the bike up to the front as soon as possible, when i do hooks i think im starting to lean forwars pretty much just as my back wheel is about to leave the ground,

As soon as your back wheel then touches the wall/rock push forward on your handle bars and move your bum towards your back tyre, this makes a sort of flicking motion and gives you grip on the back.