D3O Hat

multi tasking male

isn't this stuff developed from the pursuit of flexible (yet bullet proof) body armour for the military?

i think its an incredible achievement, more suited to knee/elbow/hip/spine protectors then headwear.

As OBM (i think) mentioned, the d30 doesn't abosrb energy in an impact, it just dissapates over a larger area. That's what saved the melon being 'puntured' by the hammer on the gadget show.

However our heads will still undego the same g forces if we loop out and smash the ground. The brain will hit the inside of the skull just as hard.

Fair enough it may save a fractured skull or help deflect a blow from the edge of a wall/rock/rail, which is better tehn nothing but the polystyrene inner in most helmet reduces the G force by acting as a crumple zone!

That D3o beanie isn't going to protect your head in the slightest. It might be good to replace the polystyrene in helmets, but you still need a hard layer aswell as a shock absorbing layer to protect your head.

I'd like to bet they won't even pass the exceptionally low EN1078 EU standard. And that's the lowest standard to be 'acceptable'.

Stupid Gadget show too. He clearly, and I mean clearly hit the second one harder.

rib cap the egg test - "the ribcap doesnt comply with any standards established for protective headgear like helmets"

shamus pretty much summed up my thoughts on the helmet, it is a a good idea though...and when it becomes a little more tried and tested in the real world, or in slightly more accurate experiments than a melon then i could be tempted.

if anyones interested and didnt already know...custard has a very similar property! give it a slap and it goes hard....

so its a shear thickening fluid someones put into a hat? Not really ground breaking technology (forgive the pun)... but a nice idea

no its not, it is both a shock absorber and a hard solid, when its not uner pressure its not hard bt when put under pressure it goes siff and the cells lock together, it says that in the video.

chris

no its not, it is both a shock absorber and a hard solid, when its not uner pressure its not hard bt when put under pressure it goes siff and the cells lock together, it says that in the video.

chris

impact rather than pressure, because he was molding it in his hands and that, on the d3o website giro are suing it in there gloves, im sure it wont be long until they incorporate it in there helmets, if they start using it in helmets they wont look so big and bulky soon

But what's the benifit of using it in a helmet?

You'd end up with a floppy helmet (no ineuendo intended), reduced ventilation and probably added weight?

Helmet design is pretty damn good already and 'track proven'

And finally I can't see the benifit if you're already using a helmet anyway??

Interesting piece of tech (Y) love the way it remains soft and pliable in its original form, and then becomes hard and solid when reacting to sudden kinetic forces. Certainly an interesting alternative for the egomaniacs out there who simply refuse to wear a lid. Needs more R&D with the design looks.

when its not uner pressure its not hard bt when put under pressure it goes siff and the cells lock together

cells? Its alive now?

so when its under zero shear its a fluid, under increasing shear it becomes more and more viscous, tending towards solid state...

pretty sure that defines shear thickening if you want to google it...

I doubt this will replace any helmet technology because ,as said, the tech is already pretty top notch.

Also a helmet where either the outer plastic or inner polystyrene replaced with D30 material because its probably a lot heavier, which will make the helmet uncomfortable.

I ride motorcycles, and there is a new jacket out that uses this technology for the elbows and shoulders. I think its a good idea in that application because my current street bike jacket with its hard pads makes you feel like an american football player. I think it will make its way into bicycle protection too like knee and elbow pads. Not sure though if it has much aplication in head gear. This hat has got to be better than no helmet, but I can't imagine taking some of the falls I have without a skid lid. Modern helmets are pretty light and non obtrusive. They may look funny, but then so do our trials bikes to most people!

The problem I can see is that the hat wouldn't take the impact like a helmet does, like with he crumple zone on a car. Sure it's going to stop your head getting cracked open if you hit your head on the corner of a curb or something but doesn't seem to reduce the impact, just spreads it out.