Nbr 32

Jonny Jones

First of all, this - in my eyes - is a fantastic video! Andy wasn't sure about showing it because its the first video he's made from footage he's shot on his new Canon 7D DSLR. Its also the first time he's used Final Cut Pro. The visual quality is out of this world, the riding is full of jazz, the editing is spot on and I think people should see it! Andy: Awesome job on this, love it!! :D

The one thing thats spoilt this for me is the plain simple fact your southern andys not in the video himself.

very well edited, well filmed, daves rolling gaps epic!

one day id like to come down and ride with you all other than nath hes just gay!

Edited by Seabasss

First of all, this - in my eyes - is a fantastic video! Andy wasn't sure about showing it because its the first video he's made from footage he's shot on his new Canon 7D DSLR. Its also the first time he's used Final Cut Pro. The visual quality is out of this world, the riding is full of jazz, the editing is spot on and I think people should see it! Andy: Awesome job on this, love it!! :D

dont over do it jonny , its realy nice , but its just a basic vid.

its realy nice to watch (Y)

The resolution detail on the rider and bike in the first clip (00:00-00:08) was pretty amazing, but the other clips showed way too much white light exposure on my monitor. So i guess the weakness with DSLR video, is that you have to do alot more manual tinkering around with the camera to get the right shot, especially dealing with foreground and background balance.

TRA, experience simular problems with his new DSLR (i think he's using the Canon 5D).

dont over do it jonny , its realy nice , but its just a basic vid.

Its basic but worked very well. I don't believe I 'over did' it lol, im just hugely excited about the possibility of these cameras, they're utter game changers in every way!

The white level might have something to do with your monitor, looked fine on mine and obviously Andy's too. Obviously white levels can be completely adjusted - especially if any of these videos are to be broadcasted! But yes, its Andy's first video and first batch of footage from the 7D, he's said there's LOADS to learn about it and its going to be a constant experimental process - of which I'm very much looking forward to seeing! :)

Thanks guys,

As Jonny said, theres a massive learning curve using an SLR, and it feels totally alien at the moment. I can understand why people tend to use tripods as it doesn't feel right holding a video camera like that haha!

The amount of white isn't a downfall of videos on DSLRs, rather a downfall of cameras in general. Unfortunately, I haven't yet developed the skills to control the weather, so when the sky is white/grey and cloudy, its very hard not to have such issues. Most videos are very underexposed so you don't notice it as much, but when you start having the functionality to fine tune an image, I'd rather have the subject metered properly and in detail, not the backdrop.

Adam, I used a Canon 50mm F1.8 for the first shot, and the rest was shot on a Tokina 10-17mm.

I'll be interested to see how people start doing videos with dSLRs in the future. They definitely open it up a lot in terms of what you can do, and like I was saying to Ads before you've got to apply a more photographic mindset to composing shots rather than the standard sort of slightly refined point-and-shoot style with regular videocameras. Equally, it seems most videos I've seen from people with them so far have all been fairly similar in that they're just a 'test' kinda video, so once people are more used to them and begin treating them more like people treated conventional videocameras it should be interesting seeing people's personal styles show through. Even in the BMX world, most of them feature the same kinda close up on tyres/super slow mo/close cropping of moves and so on - it'd be nice to see the outcomes when there's a bit more variety.

That's not a dig at anyone by the way, it's just an observation. It's fairly understandable that when getting used to them people are going to film stuff like they do, I'm just looking forward to seeing how it all develops. Getting some of the 'closeness' back in videos would be helpful too, as it seems a lot of dSLR videos tend to feel kinda detached from the riding in a way. Kinda hard to explain...

That's not a dig at anyone by the way, it's just an observation. It's fairly understandable that when getting used to them people are going to film stuff like they do, I'm just looking forward to seeing how it all develops.

Fo' sho', and I guess if there's not a lot of other video 'styles' to take inspiration from then trials filming won't develop either... Vimeo browsing here I come :P

I think the biggest thing in terms of filming with DSLRs is more possibilities are opened. The oportunity to utilise different lenses is a major step forward for most low end / amatuer filmers (instead of just screwing on a fisheye adaptor) and is something I keep forgetting I can do.

It will take some time, but I really want to start pushing some boundaries and trying new stuff to give a different edge to the way we make trials videos.

I think the biggest thing in terms of filming with DSLRs is more possibilities are opened. The oportunity to utilise different lenses is a major step forward for most low end / amatuer filmers (instead of just screwing on a fisheye adaptor) and is something I keep forgetting I can do.

It will take some time, but I really want to start pushing some boundaries and trying new stuff to give a different edge to the way we make trials videos.

Pretty much a +1 from here!