General Election 06/06/2010

Rusevelt

after what tony blair did with Iraq/afghanistan i honestly cant see how labour will stay in power even though he doesnt lead them anymore.

Because the Conservatives are fags and they caused the last recession, and the Lib Debs have no experience, and the rest are virtually guaranteed not to win.

Final week for the three main party leader candidates to swing your opinions. Though judging by what ive seen from various news reports and comments here, its seems increasing likely that we will have a hung parliament election where neither party wins by overall majority, effectively meaning that the two joint party leaders David and Goliath, will now have try convince the non contending parties to join them. A political 'Clash Of The Titans' if you like.

Its a shame that hilariously funny satirical puppet show 'Spitting Image' (1984-1996) is no longer around :lol: as it was good publicity during previous elections.

Firstly, Ben Rowlands, I agree with pretty much everything you have said! Was quite scary reading your responses. Haha.

Going to vote labour. Not because i'm particularly in support of labour, I just f**king hate david cameron. My extended family are friendly with his family, apparently even his only family think hes a twat.

Because the Conservatives are fags (and they caused the last recession), and the Lib Debs have no experience, and the rest are virtually guaranteed not to win.

Totally agree. However, I think that Gordon Brown is the right man to run the country (just now). He is a genuinely intelligent man and I do believe that this is the reason that so many people are reluctant to take on board what he says. Lots of people seem to forget that this is the man who was the Chancellor whilst Tony Blair was in charge, and despite all of his short comings the country experienced hugely prosperous times and everyone / majority of people in the country benefited in some way. It seems they would rather have some (charismatic?) arsehole, like David Cameron, who in my opinion has no more credibility than Jordan running for prime minster. He is more of a celebrity than a politician. FACT!

I am going to vote labour purely because, like I said above, I believe he is best suited to get this country out of the shit that we are in. We have to remember that it was not Gordon Brown or even Tony Blair that put us up shit creek without a paddle. It was the crash in the American housing market and the knock-on effect it had on everyone else.

If you vote Conservatives and they win we are in trouble, there will be cuts across the board, I don't see how it can be a good thing.

If you vote for some obscure party (like MRL) in protest you end up with the conservatives winning because many other people are voting for them purely in protest.

If you vote Lib Dem we end up with a hung parliament and I don't see how that can work, considering the three parties can't agree on the most basic things so running the country would be a nightmare.

Despite all I have said, if in 4 years time when another election is called the country is well on its way to recovery I will be voting for someone else, I don't know who yet but I think change would be beneficial but only in a time when we are steady enough to deal with change. More change now would only cause more problems.

seriously?

Yes, seriously. So the guy has shit hand writing. As far as I am aware (here to be corrected on this one) he is the only politician to have taken the time to hand-write a letter of condolence to any family members who have lots people to the war? Even the woman it was addressed to re-called her original statement and said that the thought that went into it far outweighed the fact it was poorly written. He will be the first person to say he isn't a man that can give elaborate, clean cut presentations but to be honest I would rather leave that to a spokesperson and have someone that actually has experience of running the country to make the decisions. This is not me trying to make you all vote labour, it is just my opinion.

Edited by Rojo

Labour plans to introduce The Digital Economy Bill :S if they return to power :lol: you've gotta laugh at the crazy idea of government plans to regulate the millions of online users. Whatever will they think of next digital tax :lol:

PM Gordon Brown, has more than enough resources to send a better presented letter to a mother whos son committed his life to military service.

He does and I am not saying that what he did is acceptable. He should have ensured it was better presented and spelt properly. I'm sorry but nobody can deny the fact that Gordon Brown is intelligent. It's just a fact... lol.

The Digital Economy Bill is a load of bollocks to be honest. It will never work, even if the 40 MPs that turned up to debate it do manage to get it through parliament... (see below)

Clicky

See, im a bit unsure on this whole gordo browns letters to soldiers families thing, in some ways its a bit crap that he cant right properly, and makes spelling mistakes, but if they are genuine letters, it also shows that he took the time to hand write a letter to the families on an individual basis, as opposed to having some pre typed word document his secretary prints off and he just signs everytime a soldier dies. the fact that the man takes the time to write these letters should be acknowledged, Did maggie write letters to the family of every soldier that died fighting over a small island with crappy weather thats populated by 100 times more sheep than people that no one gives a feck about when she led us to war there for no good reason.

Was thinking about that when i posted this thread at the beginning but the only reason i held back on that idea, is that the results would pretty predictable. I was gonna include all the main contesting parties, and have a NONE OF THE ABOVE PARTY, POLITICIANS ARE ALL THE SAME. You don't need be a rocket scientist to second guess where most of the votes would go to.

I'll probably edit one here in the first week of may, just to gauge who actually voted (Y) against those who couldn't care less (N) .

I'll probably edit one here in the first week of may, just to gauge who actually voted (Y) against those who couldn't care less (N) .

To be perfectly honest I couldn't care less and it'll be virtually the same regardless who gets in. If I can get a postal vote I'll do it but I can't be arsed going to the polling station. That's the silly thing about the system- chances are the majority of people are in constituencies where it's always the same party who get voted in in that area so there's not much point voting at all. I guess there are actually very few places where it's finely balanced and could swing either way on the changing of people's minds. I was registered in Aberdeenshire where Alex Salmond is our MP. There's not a snowballs chance in hell that he won't be voted in again so there's no point voting. I've now registered in East Dorset but I imagine this is a strong Conservative or Labour stronghold so again there's no point voting.

Now if the Lib Dems were to get in and change to a PR system... that could be more interesting.

Conservatives for me.

12 years of labour 12 years of no control.

Quite a honest post I read on another forum in reply to conservatives being no better than labour:

"One blip in the early 90s,a walk in the park compared to now.Can't hang the recession of 1980 on Thatcher since GDP slid immediately after the May 79 election in Q3 79.

However bad it was, the Major administration left the dream legacy in 1997 with low debts a rapidly growing economy and collapsing unemployment.Meanwhile Brown has managed to nuke the economy with combined public and private debt of 500% of GDP.But all should be alright by 2030,because a 5:1 debt ratio is affordable in Brown's paradigm."

"Under thatcher i left a comprehensive, and went to university, where the state paid my fees and gave me a (means tested) annual grant of about £3,500 to live on. I got the full grant, being from a working class single parent family.

What happens now, after 12 years of 'Labour'?

You are spouting shit of the lowest possible kind. Labour do not help working class people, they make them "non-working" people, and they keep them there."

"I don't dispute that Labour has invested in things.It has built new hospitals,new schools,new railway stations,given GPs six figure salaries,increased nurses average pay into the 30,000s,eased public sector workers retirement by promising a trillion pounds that isn't there.Individuals have invested in their homes with the 1.4 trillion they have racked up:designer kitchens ,block pavers etc.Joe public no longer had to be seen driving an Allegro,only a brand new 4x4 made abroad would do.Overall debt is now 500% of GDP from less than 200% of GDP under Major.

Call me old fashioned but I believe you have to cut your cloth and I don't believe in inter-generational theft. "

This was all followed up by quite a length post on government "reinvestment" by labour:

"Oh, that's alright then. Lets hope they carry on reinvesting in

- £486m failed computer project for the Child Support Agency

- £140m on a system designed to streamline payment of benefits which was shelved because it never worked

- £77m on an IT system meant to clear the backlog of immigration casework which was shelved because it missed deadlines

- Department of Work and Pensions which has wasted £300m on two cancelled IT projects In 5 years the DWP managed to spend £2.14bn on IT projects, both ongoing and cancelled, with over £500m going to consultants alone

- £2bn has been lost in tax credit fraud or errors.

- £2.3bn refurbishing civilian offices of MOD

- Chinooks contract scandal - £500m - still not finished - 8 helicopters paid for and useless

- The Pathway project, cancelled, cost of £1bn

- £400m was spent on a project aimed at 'cost control' for the 2012 Olympics. wtf

- Now this government wants to spend another £5bn on a computer system to manage a new ID card "

However overall I will have to say, I've worked in the public sector (DWP) and it is honestly a f**king disgrace how it is all run. Not just the DWP but the public sector / civil service. To put it bluntly, no one gives a f**k about tax payer money, there are 0 consequences to doing a "shit job" and they employ some of the most retarded people I have ever met in my life. There is a tiered system to pay.. I was on £20k at 23 and there were people nearly double my age on less who had been in the civil service for 20+ years (You dont get promoted unless someone dies/retires). There are people who are taking away over £20k but have been on the sick for 4 years. There is no such thing as a deadline, there is no consequence to losing millions of tax payers money etc (which I actually saw £30million be lost due to a department "forgetting" about some work they had to do). So whilst I can vote for conservatives and believe there is a need for "change" I do not expect MASSIVE impacts to happen. Government/Public sector simply is not run like a real business, there is no cut throat market they have to deal with like in the private sector so overall, I believe 90% of the policies to be pushed through and changes to be made wont ever actually materialise.

There are people out there who are not received a pension due to the inadequacies of the public sector due to a huge back log of work (over 50 thousand cases outstanding). There are people who have subsequently died before their claim ever reached the right department (10 years+). Its all a farce and nothing will actually change until governments have consequences for their shocking actions. If the public sector does not run efficiently, how can they be running a country and providing the services that are needed?

Edited by munkee

hi,

was gonig to start a new topic for this but i guess it just makes sense to ask in here. Basically, id like to vote this year however, when ever i see the news they are lisiting some stuff but they dont make it clear which party is saying what etc (not that it matters, as most of it is BS) I even watched some of the debate last night and it was just still unclear.

So, could some one please (if they have time) or could someone point me in the right direction to a just a simple list of what the main parties are proposing. I know its not easy but im sure more people would vote if it was made alot simpler to follow rather than it having to feel like a bloody job.

each party should be given an A4 sheet with sub headings on covering the most crucial parts. and they are given 100-200 words per subsection to sum up what they plan to do! again tricky stuff but not impossible. Then all parties paper is put in an envelope and sent to every household.....or is that a shit idea?!

Yeah last night's live tv debate was just a boring rehearsed show, no ding dong drama (N)

WTF was with that on-screen polygraph graphics sh*t when each party leader was speaking, trying to give the viewers the chance to see if the audience were agreeing with what each leader was saying :S :S