Dropbox

Bronz

Dropbox

Dunno if anyone's seen this but basically you know the scenario:

1) You're at work/school, working on a document.

2) You need to send the document home.

3) You don't have a USB stick with you.

4) You email it.

5) There are now three versions of that file (the one on your work machine, the one attached to the email and the one you saved from the email at home).

6) You work on the file at home and mail it back (even more versions, you need to make sure you save the right one back from the email when at work).

or

1) You're at a mates house and you've got some sweet __r_ pics you wanna show him.

2) Your pics are on your PC at home, you can't get to them from his.

So yeah, Dropbox is a way round that. It's a folder that lives on your desktop* and everything you save in there gets saved to a server on the internet, and then you can install Dropbox at home, work, school, iPhone, whatever, and every time you save a file on one machine, it'll automatically pop up on your home PC and so on.

*here's mine:

11rx8qb.jpg

So now:

1) You're at work/school, working on a document.

2) You save it into your Dropbox.

3) You open it up at home when you get there.

or

1) You're at a mates house and you've got some sweet __r_ pics you wanna show him.

2) You log into Dropbox online and show him them from there.

Anyway, the free plan gives you 2Gb but if you sign up using my referral link you can get 2.25Gb free, then for every person you invite after that you get another 0.25Gb :D

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTI2Mjk5Dg5

EDIT: No catches. What they do is give you a smaller space to start with in the hope that you'll buy one of their bigger packages, but then you get an extra 0.25Gb every time you invite someone because each person you invite might want to buy an upgraded package. Make sense?

Edited by Bronz

The catch? Ads?

No, no catch. What they do is give you a smaller space to start with in the hope that you'll buy one of their bigger packages, but then you get an extra 0.25Gb every time you invite someone because each person you invite might want to buy an upgraded package. Make sense?

I think its a quality idea.

It'l help with all the stuff like family photos and schnizzle like that.

Just signed up using the referral link. Thanks (Y)

No worries, it's really good. I keep all sorts in there.

So can anyone see what you put in your box?

There's a public folder in there so you can share what's in there by copying a link to it. Anything that's not in that one public folder is totally private (Y)

It's a f**king life saver is this program, I only wish I had more space. I see why you're posting it hear though mate, every person who signs up from that link gives you an extra 250mb. :P

I'm considering going up to the 50gb option.

But isn't that the same as just using other online storage sites like megaupload/rapidshare??

Similar, no waiting or anything though - and it's free. Rapid / Mega etc require files to be split into 100mb parts most of the time, which is annoying even if you have a Premium Account.

I would guess the management of files would be better too (I've not looked so not sure...)

But isn't that the same as just using other online storage sites like megaupload/rapidshare??

Nope.

With rapidshare you'd have to login, manually select the file to upload, email the link home, download it and save it over the previous version before re-uploading it before heading back to work.

With dropbox you save it on your pc and voilà, that file appears everywhere else that you use dropbox.

It's kind of like a shift toward cloud computing http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

For a minute I was curious as to why you'd made such a detailed post about a popular web service.

Then I saw your referral link at the bottom :lol:

Nah seriously, Dropbox is brilliant. Had an account since 2008 and it saves the hassle of syncing shared folders and setting up adhoc wireless networks between all your machines. But don't forget that it stops syncing once you lose your connection.

For a minute I was curious as to why you'd made such a detailed post about a popular web service.

Then I saw your referral link at the bottom :lol:…

Hehe, subtle ;)

…Nah seriously, Dropbox is brilliant. Had an account since 2008 and it saves the hassle of syncing shared folders and setting up adhoc wireless networks between all your machines. But don't forget that it stops syncing once you lose your connection.

I had no idea they'd been about that long! Top quality service, I love it.