Old Onza?

Laurence--Trials

It was an Onza Prototype from afew years back, possible 2007. Was the prototype for Ben Slinger when he first joined the Onza Team.

I believe OnzaBoyMark owned one for a short while, also a hand full of others, as I still think the frames being ran :)

I came across this picture on google images and wondered if any one had seen it? What bike / frame is it?

Look at the chain stays :lol:

I was always under the impression that this frame was designed like this so the chain could be removed without breaking it so if it worked belt drive could be possible, but apparently it wasn't. I think the main advantage to it was so that you could run a much shorted BB.

It was named the Master between the 2003-2009 models. It was made in 2005 as 1 of 4 prototypes. I beleive Ben Slinger won te UCI world Championships on it and I dont think any of them broke. Stant man T might correct me on that though.

I cant remember the Geo but the idea of the dropped stays was for 3 reasons, 1, Not having to split the chain, 2, Protected the chain from mis-timed side hops, 3, was so we could use a reverse chain tug idea but we then designed the current reverse drop outs.

The belt drive idea was put into place only after it was designed for the above ideas, Unfortunatly the belts never stood up to the torq of trials, I can remeber snapping one just hopping up a curb. Would have be great if it had worked as the belts were a fraction of the weight of a regular chains and it didnt stretch.

OBM did have one too so he might know a bit more then me, It was out about 6 months before I started working for Onza.

Actually, Just looking at it it looks alot like the the Limey 20 on the front end, 4 years before it was launched!! haha.

Hope that explained it for you.

Edited by Joe@Onza

It was named the Master between the 2003-2009 models. It was made in 2005 as 1 of 4 prototypes. I beleive Ben Slinger won te UCI world Championships on it and I dont think any of them broke. Stant man T might correct me on that though.

I cant remember the Geo but the idea of the dropped stays was for 3 reasons, 1, Not having to split the chain, 2, Protected the chain from mis-timed side hops, 3, was so we could use a reverse chain tug idea but we then designed the current reverse drop outs.

The belt drive idea was put into place only after it was designed for the above ideas, Unfortunatly the belts never stood up to the torq of trials, I can remeber snapping one just hopping up a curb. Would have be great if it had worked as the belts were a fraction of the weight of a regular chains and it didnt stretch.

OBM did have one too so he might know a bit more then me, It was out about 6 months before I started working for Onza.

Actually, Just looking at it it looks alot like the the Limey 20 on the front end, 4 years before it was launched!! haha.

Hope that explained it for you.

Why would you want to protect the chain over the frame?.... Risking damaging the frame more to save a measly chain. Chains are cheap and disposable, frames not so much. I'd feel much guiltier denting and scraping the shit out of my stay than a chain

What was it like? did the strange chain stays make it feel weird? Doesn't look very strong ether.

to be honest it didnt feel any different then the 'normal' setup has

but i did prefer it to my 2005 t-mag spec2 which i had before

it was called a master, ment to be relased in 2007,

but didnt :(

ive got the broucher somewhere with it on ;)

ill go look for it : lol

Why would you want to protect the chain over the frame?.... Risking damaging the frame more to save a measly chain. Chains are cheap and disposable, frames not so much. I'd feel much guiltier denting and scraping the shit out of my stay than a chain

Well, You kinda land on your frame anyway when you land on your chain.

Id rather have to buy a new frame because its got a crack init, than headbutt a rock because my chain has snaped