24 Riders Running 18:12?

Skoze

The Gusset Bachelor sprocket's got a nice, wide base to it.

I found for me 18:14 and 170s works nicely - mid-way between 18:13 and 18:14 on 175s. Having said that, that's for brakeless stuff where there's a fair bit more pedal pressure involved so I suppose it'd need a proportionally lighter ratio.

I can't remeber but its either gusset or surly i've refused to ever use again for sprockets as in whichever configuration i've used its always been troublesome. I'm thinking and hoping its surly that i hate, in which case i might just have to have a little go with a 12t gusset.

You don't know of any compatibility issues between that and the trialtech chain do you? I shouldn't have thought there are any.

I really don't get (even for the purest of trials) how people can possibly use 18:15 on a 24''. I literally had it on for about 30 seconds and wanted to vomit. It's just useless, and this is with 170mm cranks . I did run 18:14 for a while, which was ok.......still too light really. I think 18:13 feels completely perfectly acceptable for trials, but i guess everyone has a preference.

Fair play! I'm not gonna be running 18:12, but it's near as makes no odds to what i will be running like 22:15 or 20:13 - just cant see many people running those!

Sounds like it'll do me perfectly then, had a play on Joel's 609 the other week and was running 22:16, so slightly harder than my old 22:17 set up, and even that felt mentally light! This bmx with ManGear has ruined me :P

EDIT: another vote for how the hell you're running 18:15, i had that on my Pitbull and thought it was too light :S

Edited by Skoze

Thankyou for that. Is the bachelor that much better than the 1er and worth spending the extra on? I'm just thinking if it does feels pants its less of a loss to go with the 1er - but at the same time, i'm not going to skimp on my bike...

As you can see, there's a fair bit of difference just from looking at them:

large_dxcog.jpg

large_bachelor15.jpg

The Bachelor has a far wider base which'll stop it digging into your freehub body (especially if you're cranking around with 18:12 on :P), and it should last longer in general.

Just built up my 24 literally 2 days ago and im running 18/12 on it. I was going to run 18/13 but my mate who runs an inspired reckoned it would be way to easy to ride anywhere on so got the 12 and thats perfect - still a little quick if anything but I ride alot of street. You are making the right decision to run it I reckon!

Ibs

post-4318-127013636901_thumb.jpg

18:13 for me but that's with 160 cranks. Really ought to get longer cranks now I've got rid of the Monty but it's just what I'm used to now. With my current cranks there's no way I'd go to 18:12- 13 is pretty much perfect for me. Plenty of power there but still light enough for trialsy stuff.

Just built up my 24 literally 2 days ago and im running 18/12 on it. I was going to run 18/13 but my mate who runs an inspired reckoned it would be way to easy to ride anywhere on so got the 12 and thats perfect - still a little quick if anything but I ride alot of street. You are making the right decision to run it I reckon!

Ibs

Nice one! Keep me updated, would love to hear how that works out :)

Thankyou for that. Is the bachelor that much better than the 1er and worth spending the extra on? I'm just thinking if it does feels pants its less of a loss to go with the 1er - but at the same time, i'm not going to skimp on my bike...

i got one somewhere, im now running a fixed hub so its no use to me, you can have it for £6 delivered if i find it.

On my 24" I've been running 22:14 for ages - which is a pretty hard gearing, and I thought that it felt perfect. How wrong I was! I recently changed it to 22:15 (lighter gearing) and it felt lush. So I went lighter again to 20:14 which was even better, and then brought down to 20:15 which is brilliant with 175mm cranks for both street and trials.

I don't think you should dismiss the lighter gearings, they make trials so much easier without really comprimising street :)

Yeah, i used to run 22:17 and that was quite nice, i'm just soooooo not used to it now! Also, i'm gonna be doing the bare minimum of static stuff on the new rig, taps, a few static gaps and >1 sidehop over a year are about as trials as i get!