Building A Bike!

mint_jay

Hi guys!

I've been on the forum for a while now, scouring the for sale section for a 24" bike. I have about £600 to spend but have something I need some help with.

Whilst this whole time I've been looking for a second hand bike, it occured to me to build my own bike instead. I know a dude that can get me any part at cost price which works out at pretty much half price!

Was just wondering if £600 is a reasonably amount to build a 24" bike bearing in mind i'll be getting about £1200s worth. If so I could use a little help with a list of parts?

Cheers guys.

Jamie

Frames up to your on own personal choice really, depending on riding style.

Wheels wise, majority of people are running pro2's, just because there dam good hubs.

Rims, well anything 24 really, personally I like sun's Rhyno lites, light and strong.

Forks, inspired? Seem to be getting rave reviews, but again depends on the frame really.

Bar and stem, something highrise probably, but again depends on frame and how you want the bike to feel. Maybe the trialtech high-rise's.

Hope this helps a bit.

Rough spec of mine, would probably cost you like £1400+ but you can downgrade a few of the parts, but it was perfect for me.

Inspired frame - powdercoated orange

Echo urban forks

Syncro stem

DMR wingbars

Carbon hope mono front brake

RB lever blade, dengura cyclinders, phat pads, rear magura on the back.

WTP tartan saddle, inspired post and clamp

Dual proII's, dual DMR24 rims, sram spokes.

12T DMR rear sprocket.

Tensile competition 16T cranks

Any BB

Crank Creek headset I think

Hope QR

Welgo Mag pedals

Rohloff tensioner

High roller rear, DMR RT front tyre.

urm I've probably forgotten a lot though lol

They are out there - i ended up selling my Leeson for just over £600.

That was Leeson 609, Pashley forks, King ISOs on Rhyno Lites, Middleburns, front and rear Ultimates etc - sweet spec which cost me far too much money to build....

Just keep looking!

Thanks for the specs chaps, will start getting a spec together for my bike soon as.

But seeing the prices you guys sold your Leeson and Inspired for I think I may keep looking second hand for a little longer, surely I'll be able to find something soon! What does everybody think? Brand new or second hand? :blink:

Second hand all the way. Parts-wise, there was about £2000 worth in my 609 which got sold for a fraction of that, building with new parts you'll never make your money back.

However, i am regretting selling it SO much right now :(

But seeing the prices you guys sold your Leeson and Inspired for I think I may keep looking second hand for a little longer, surely I'll be able to find something soon! What does everybody think? Brand new or second hand? :blink:

I've brought everything 2nd hand throught riding, but it depends what your like, I'll take a bike, change a couple of bits so it suits my style and have a bike that rides as well as it would have done if I would have spent 3 times as much on it, but is a bit tatty arround the edges.

Sorry guys another question.

If I'm to build a bike, Could someone please explain how the whole crank/bb section works? As in what is attached to what, what does what etc.

I mean I sort of know how it works but then I was reading about fixed hubs/free hubs... freewheels... sprockets.. chainrings etc etc and quickly realised I wouldn't have a clue what to order!

(Sorry If none of this made any sense!)

Cheers

J

Sorry guys another question.

If I'm to build a bike, Could someone please explain how the whole crank/bb section works? As in what is attached to what, what does what etc.

I mean I sort of know how it works but then I was reading about fixed hubs/free hubs... freewheels... sprockets.. chainrings etc etc and quickly realised I wouldn't have a clue what to order!

(Sorry If none of this made any sense!)

Cheers

J

The bottom bracket is what screws into the frame, the crank arms bolt onto the bottom bracket axcel and the pedals bolt into the crank arms.

A free hub is a hub that has a drive mechanism built in, like a chris king or a hope pro 2, with these you have a fixed chainring at the front and a splined sprocket (with a spacer kit) at the rear.

A fixed hub just has a screw on sprocket on the rear but to get your drive you have to have a freewheel attached to the cranks

You could also screw the freewheel onto the hub but this would mean you would need a large chain ring at the front.

hope this has cleared thing up for you mate.

Edited by Franksx2005

The bottom bracket is what screws into the frame, the crank arms bolt onto the bottom bracket axcel and the pedals bolt into the crank arms.

A free hub is a hub that has a drive mechanism built in, like a chris king or a hope pro 2, with these you have a fixed chainring at the front and a splined sprocket (with a spacer kit) at the rear.

A fixed hub just has a screw on sprocket on the rear but to get your drive you have to have a freewheel attached to the cranks

You could also screw the freewheel onto the hub but this would mean you would need a large chain ring at the front.

hope this has cleared thing up for you mate.

Perfect, cheers pal!