Long Or Short?

hornsby1992

I'm finally making the move to long after a long time on a short monty

From what I can gather: Long = street, Short = natural

I ride street, so lots of backwheel stuff, where long frames are far more comfortable

Are you sure about that? Street bikes are genially shorter with a lower BB and sometimes a seat. Natural bikes can be long or short but are mostly longer than street bikes with a higher BB and seat less mostly.

It describes this in 'kenny belaey's big time trial adventure' - ill try and find the episode.

EDIT: This episode about 4.45:

EDIT2: answer to your question, its all down to personal preference again, kind of like tyre pressure and bar angle etc etc', You have to take your style into consideration so if your a natural rider then you might want 20" to start out unless your I'd say over 6ft then go with 26" thats what most people on the forum seem to be doing. But if your a street rider then i would suggest 24" as 24" is generally seen as a streety bikes. But as i said before its all down to personal preference.

Edited by Laurence--Trials

Are you sure about that? Street bikes are genially shorter with a lower BB and sometimes a seat. Natural bikes can be long or short but are mostly longer than street bikes with a higher BB and seat less mostly.

It describes this in 'kenny belaey's big time trial adventure' - ill try and find the episode.

EDIT: This episode about 4.45:

EDIT2: answer to your question, its all down to personal preference again, kind of like tyre pressure and bar angle etc etc', You have to take your style into consideration so if your a natural rider then you might want 20" to start out unless your I'd say over 6ft then go with 26" thats what most people on the forum seem to be doing. But if your a street rider then i would suggest 24" as 24" is generally seen as a streety bikes. But as i said before its all down to personal preference.

really short bikes are a bitch to your back if you do a lot of backwheel moves (street riding) but are generally easier for doing 2 wheel moves seen a lot in street riding (small two wheeled hops along the crests of rocks etc)

I can't remember the last time I saw anybody riding street on a short mod bike, pretty much everybody has long frames

It's hard to say, I ride a Pashley 26MHZ which as far as i know is one of the longest trials frames you can get, I' am 6 foot 3, and I still have to use a long stem, especially when riding two wheeled, but it is super comfy on the back wheel. how tall are you? I kinda disagree with the whole street/natural thing, as a new rider getting your first bike you want something that will offer the most flexibility whilst your finding your favourite spots to ride! Bear in mind that if you get a frame which is short you can always add a long stem and get it right, but it is important to get the right set up to begin with.

The whole long/short natural/street thing is a load of rubbish really, surely it depends on the riders size, stock or mod etc

It is possible to have one bike for all, you'll just have to compromise on some things. What sized wheel would you want to run?

Im 6ft and I recently made the move to a short mod and I find it so much nicer.

really? in what way has it been easier? I am quite tempted to get a 20" bike too

Im 6ft and I recently made the move to a short mod and I find it so much nicer.

really? in what way has it been easier? I am quite tempted to get a 20" bike too