Just Returned To Trials And I Have Questions.....

MrSuave

Bonsoir....

Not ridden trials for around 3 years and have just purchased a second hand zhi. its generally pretty good but theres a few bits i need to add/change but dont know and cant find out on the web what will and wont work........

id appreciate your advice on the following:

1 - It has tensile splined cranks with an 18t cog but no bashring. I can obviously buy the tensile bash but theres some nicer looking and cheaper ones about but i dont know if theyll fit?? this s the one im thinking of getting: http://www.trials-uk.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=1512 will it fit? or can i at least make it fit easily enough?

2- the frame is flexing at rear brake so a booster is in order. i always used a 4 bolt heatsink on my old adamant which made for a real stiff brake. are 2 bolts considered better these days, someone mentioned that they give better bite? whats the deal?

3- Rear tyres:. I like maxxis high rollers in super tacky compund, are they still a top notch tyre? and would anyone know if a 2.5 version will clear the zhi frame with a revell rim?

4 - Front tyres: try all sticky still good? or what else should i look at thats light ? dont like a front tyre over 2.2 really.

5 - All these cnc fancy pants levers avaliable for maggies. are they any cop or am i better going with the old trusted standard jobbies?

6 and finallly..... Maggie pads. i used to run heatsink reds in cnc backings and koxx browns. i like the brake to be really sharp..... what pads should i be looking at?

thanks in advance you bunch of sexy bastards.

Tommy.

Dont/ Never ever ever ever use trials-uk (unless you want to get scamed)

Tartybikes.co.uk !!

6.Brake pads: TNN LMG pads well worth the money!

5.Magura levers: Something like this two finger lever is nice. I've used them before and they feel fantastic how the 'bend' round the tip of your finger, Or this 4 finger lever if you want extra leaverage or obvusly use 4 fingers.

I may beable to help with the bash ring too, how much are you willing to spend?

Edited by Laurence--Trials

Dont/ Never ever ever ever use trials-uk (unless you want to get scamed)

Tartybikes.co.uk !!

6. TNN LMG pads well worth the money!

Really? there no good huh? ............. shame, the prices are inviting.

Bonsoir....

Not ridden trials for around 3 years and have just purchased a second hand zhi. its generally pretty good but theres a few bits i need to add/change but dont know and cant find out on the web what will and wont work........

id appreciate your advice on the following:

1 - It has tensile splined cranks with an 18t cog but no bashring. I can obviously buy the tensile bash but theres some nicer looking and cheaper ones about but i dont know if theyll fit?? this s the one im thinking of getting: http://www.trials-uk.co.uk/product.aspx?productid=1512 will it fit? or can i at least make it fit easily enough?

You'll have to mill/drill the centre out to allow the splines to clear the smaller hole. I recommend using a tensile bash, but cutting it in half and polishing it. I helped a mate do this and it looks pretty swish :)

2- the frame is flexing at rear brake so a booster is in order. i always used a 4 bolt heatsink on my old adamant which made for a real stiff brake. are 2 bolts considered better these days, someone mentioned that they give better bite? whats the deal?

It depends how much....the Adamant for example can be run easily with no booster due to the inbuilt frame booster. 2 bolts are more popular these days because the emphasius seems to be on weight. Most frames with a 2 bolt booster will be fine in my experience. Barely anything needs a 4 bolt I find.

3- Rear tyres:. I like maxxis high rollers in super tacky compund, are they still a top notch tyre? and would anyone know if a 2.5 version will clear the zhi frame with a revell rim?

They were a very good tyre...however in my opinion superceeded by the new kids on the block Continetal; namely the Der Kaiser and Rain King. They grip better, wear better, pinch less and are lighter. Only drawback is the price hike, although because of the better wear rate they're worth the premium especially if riding harsh granite natural or street.

4 - Front tyres: try all sticky still good? or what else should i look at thats light ? dont like a front tyre over 2.2 really.

Try-all stiky or a continental mountain king in black chilli I reckon are the best front tyres out there. The maxxis tyres are far too heavy, and most schwalbes/non black chilli conti's don't grip well enough to really be considered for a trials tyre.

5 - All these cnc fancy pants levers avaliable for maggies. are they any cop or am i better going with the old trusted standard jobbies?

They are better, but only because theyre longer and thus offer more leverage ( around 10% more power ). This performance is the same as with a genuine 4 finger magura lever, and are far comfier.

6 and finallly..... Maggie pads. i used to run heatsink reds in cnc backings and koxx browns. i like the brake to be really sharp..... what pads should i be looking at?

Very good pads both of the above. People still run and rave about that pad combo. I prefer Coustellier pads in CNC, a lot of people seem to love the TNN LGM pads, although I've seen them wear extremely quickly on a few people's bikes. ( my cousts have been in my bike for 14months and are still going strong )

The Koxx pads in general seem very good, along with the heatsink cousts, real cousts and TNN LGM's. I personally wouldn't use anything else.

thanks in advance you bunch of sexy bastards.

Tommy.