Please Help With Brake Cable!

Olicf

I just got a new odyssey Linear slic cable for my trials bike and I really need some tips fitting it.

I have managed to cut one end of the housing to size (With great difficulty!) but I can't manage to slide on the cable end fitting (think there called ferrules) as it is smaller than the housing. Please give me any tips if you have installed a similar cable before. Thanks

Edited by Olicf

You need to use proper cable cutters to give a clean cut. Using sub standard tools for even the simplest of jobs will make things difficult and frustrating. They cost about £20, if you don't want to spend that you could try and find a local rider with some, or go to your LBS and hope that they are a friendly bunch.

You need to use proper cable cutters to give a clean cut. Using sub standard tools for even the simplest of jobs will make things difficult and frustrating. They cost about £20, if you don't want to spend that you could try and find a local rider with some, or go to your LBS and hope that they are a friendly bunch.

Or use a big hammer, sharp chisel and a slab. Gives a cleaner cut than proper cutters.

Thanks for replies. I managed to sort it by stripping a section from top layer of plastic housing the same size as the ferrel and then sliding it over.

The Odyssey linear slic cable has two layers of plastic protection with two layers of metal cable wrapped inside(extremely hard to get a clean cut with standard wire cutters) Next time I will be getting some better wire cutters and I will try to do a proper job.

Could be that you have the wrong sized Ferrule. There are a couple of sizes, and they all look very simular. Take your cable housing to the LBS and have them get you the proper sized Ferrules.

The Odyssey cable came with the two ferrules so I'm sure its just that I did such an awful job cutting the wire. Would be great to hear from anyone with experience cutting the same cable =]