Is It Me Or.....?

arw_86

Is it that simple though? I thought it'd be more like skateboarding/snowboarding where most people ride regular (left foot forward for them) and then there's a smaller number who ride goofy.Or am I reading too much into that because I'm goofy and ride right foot forward on the bike?

Regular / Goofy is apparently around a 60:40 split (with more people regular, obviously!) - in snowboarding at least. I don't suppose Skateboarding is much different. I think it's a similar sort of split for riding trials - I made a poll on it a few years back, it's possibly worth searching for that.

Whether there's any correlation with being left-footed and left handed, I don't think so. 'Handedness' (E.g. for writing) is hard-wired into your brain, but with riding / snowboard stance I'm fairly sure it's just a case that most people will pick a favourite foot and stick with it. Eventually, you'll get used to having your favourite foot forwards, and anything else will seem foreign. If you try hard enough, you can learn with your "bad" foot forwards though.

Left foot forward, goofy, right footed and right handed

But I'd say my left leg is stronger than my right...

Would be interesting to see if all these things are linked....

I think you favour you strongest leg. I injured my right knee a while back and still tend to put more strain on my left leg during walking/exercise etc to compensate. I think that's why I'm a lefty for trials.

I'm left foot forward. I tried riding with my right foot forwards the other night, and it felt like the crank arm is a mile long!

I don't see how it makes a difference though really... apart from different approaches to some lines?

The only difference it really makes it when you start learning to sidehop to your backfoot side you don't destroy your rear mech/mech hanger if you're right foot forwards, i always used to wish i was right foot forwards instead of left for this reason.....with horizontal dropouts and tensioners out of the way now i don't think it makes any difference. I'm Left foot forward, left handed, regular on a snowboard and right footed at kicking shiz...i don't think there is any real correlation, just what feels right.

Nowadays it makes bugger all difference with alot of people using horizontal dropouts so theres no mech hanger to smash off.

Will be better for some lines being a lefty and better for some being a righty. Neither is 'better'

I think you favour you strongest leg. I injured my right knee a while back and still tend to put more strain on my left leg during walking/exercise etc to compensate. I think that's why I'm a lefty for trials.

Fair enough you're harbouring an injury, but for 99% of people who have never ridden a bike "properly", I doubt they have a strongest leg. Most people just use their legs to walk / run / swim / climb stairs. I reckon most people have fairly equally-strong legs!

Well for us left footers!

Benito Ros

Danny MacAskill

Michal Nowak

Neil Tunnicliffe

Rowan Johns

danny holroyd

TRA

ryan leech

JJ Gregorowicz

chris akrigg

hans rey

Thats all I can think of for now.

basically my fav riders ever are left foot forward, probably why i thought this about left foot forward riders etc and started this rubbish thread