Freewheel Problem.

mods

I've noticed that when coasting or pedaling along i get a funny noise from the drive on my bike. It's taken me quite a while to pin point the problem to the freewheel. What happens is when the bike is upside down You rotate the cranks backwards and the 'sproket' part of the freewheel moves up and down. Almost like it has an egg in it. This in turn causes the chain to rise and fall slightly.

I assume this is what makes the noise, but is only when your on the bike though.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm pretty sure the freewheel itself is fine, i just dont like starnge noises on my bike. It prob wouldnt bother most people as its not to bad, but its not right :P

Discuss.

shay

Oh if a video is and good because of my amazing explination, let me know.

'Wobbling' freewheels is almost unavoidable and is present on virtually ever single FFW I've ever seen/used. It's not a problem in itself and is caused by the thread on the crank not being 100% concentric with the BB axle which happens during machining. The only reason that would be causing any noise on your bike (provided the freewheel is ok in itself) is if you're chain tension is varying enough to be super tight at the 'tight spot' and so is crunching the sprocket surfaces a bit. You should be able to see this when you spin the rear wheel though.

Ah right cheers. Maybe it's not that then. I'm just sorting out a video, it doesnt really show the problem, but may help. It sounds like i have loose spokes when im riding. Also my bottom bracket goes a little bit stiff in a certain place. I doubt this has any effect on the problem though. Edited by mods

With your bike upside down, if you just spin the cranks backwards by hand then let go, do they always stop in the same place? It just sounds on that video like your chain is really tight, and because of the issue with most cranks and FW threads, it'll end up having a tightspot. Just sounds like your chain's almost too tight at this tight spot, which is giving that noise. It'd also explain why your BB feels stiff at one point.

yea they do stop in the same place. But its not to bad, the stiffness is only very slight. It might be the chain tightness it is pretty tight. Maybe i just have a bad case of this tight and slack thing.

Just let my tire right down low and went out, bounced on the bike to flex it on the bottom bracket with both wheels on the floor. There is quite a loud 'clicking' niose. I think this is the problem. It seems like something is loose but im not sure what, everything seems tight to me :S this is really annoying me now. :(

Just let my tire right down low and went out, bounced on the bike to flex it on the bottom bracket with both wheels on the floor. There is quite a loud 'clicking' niose. I think this is the problem. It seems like something is loose but im not sure what, everything seems tight to me :S this is really annoying me now. :(

My bike randomly clicks aswell. its either the bottom bracket or the headset, cant tell yet but on the other hand it doesnt bother me that much and the bike works so im not going to take it apart.

its quite loud though, not just a little ticking noise. I can feel it through the pedals. its definately not the headset either. Oh well just live with it i suppose. might mention it next time im in the lbs

another reason for that noise could be due to the age of your chain.

or maybe the chain is at an angle? like the alignment of your free wheel and sprocket are not in line with eachother and slightly out.

if thats the case then buying a new rear sprocket will the cog set in a different place will help( e.g. the cog in the middle like a echo or the cog on the outside on gusset) , but watch out for frame clearance with the chain.

i would recomend a new chain also, as i rode mine with my chain sounding like that for a few days and it exploded when i did a gap... not good.