what Are The Benifits

staryarm69

with a front freewheel. more of the weight is central on your bike, which i have always thought feels nicer, and ffw are cheaper to replace than a rear freehub

im buildin a mod so price whys its nowt lol. but wunt havin the freewheel wight at the back be better and make it easier to put the bike up on the back wheel

it may make it easier to get onto the back wheel, but when you have to lift the rear wheel of the ground to go up something it can be more difficult with all the weight at the back, the cost may be around the same for a new build but for replaceing broken parts freewheels are cheaper

it may make it easier to get onto the back wheel, but when you have to lift the rear wheel of the ground to go up something it can be more difficult with all the weight at the back, the cost may be around the same for a new build but for replaceing broken parts freewheels are cheaper

thanks for the advice

The only benefit is better weight distribution, and that in theory a freewheel can give stronger engagements, because there is room inside for more pawls. In a pro2 rear hub for example, there is only enough room for 4 pawls, whereas in a freewheel you can fit 6 or even 9 pawls.

Edited by Muel

I recently moved the freewheel on my stock from the back wheel to the cranks; can't say I noticed any difference ride wise. The chain will wear faster though because it's constantly in motion, but that's just being anal...

• Like 1