Fork Repair

ben ev

i had a bit of a retard moment today and cut my forks down without the stem on so they are about 2" short :lol:

welded it back up but dont really trust them, is it possible to get the head tube on the forks replaced? how are they held in?

ben

You can fix them... Sort of.

Rewelding them will work for the time being.

You can't really replace the steerer tubes though. If they're internally threaded, you could make a small extension thing to screw in. If they're not, you can thread them and make the same adaptor.

what forks are any good these days? not to bothered about weight. just wont them to be bomb proof and able to fit fairly big tyres 2.4 upwards and pref with 4 bolt hydraulic mountings which is why i was looking at more onza's?

going to turn up an extention for the mean time with a sleeve so atleast there shouldnt be any issues with sheer preesure so they "shudnt" snap lol

Edited by ben ev

Well i have magnesium forks. they are awsome. like £100 very light but....not sure if they make them anymore. i would defonitly get new ones. not onza because they are made of steel(vwery heavy!) so like echo or zoo or somethin

You probably have magnesium alloy forks... Which are stupidly weak but very light.

Strength wise you'll want to be looking at Echo urbans.

Are you riding 20" or 26"?

Trialtech or Echo Urbans, i run Urbans on both my 24" and stock, just find them a little flexier than what i've use before.

Can i ask why you're running a 2.4"+ tyre on the front?! On the rear yes, but surely on the front its unneeded dead weight, you don't need the larger volume to absorb impacts etc. Just seems excessive.

hi, its a 26". i made a sleeve with a step which sits in the tube, tig welded round then ground the weld off. will do for now lol. ide be suprised if it snapped.

reason i have big front tyre is because ime abit of an old school rider. when i rode trials properly i was about 18 so 8 years ago now lol. not really into little tech stuff so my bikes have always been heavier but strong ish. quite like to burn down the odd set of woods aswell from time to time which alot of people probibly think is abit gay but what can i say :ermm: