Viz Single Wall Rim (Square Holes)

dave33

Glad i'm not the only one thats struggling to find a decent set up with this rim.

The brake feels solid (Limey 3 frame, magura slaves, 04 magura lever and fresh products blade) set up properly and have tried it with Koxx browns, coustinks and now heatsink yellows. Only seem to be able to get a decent grind on the rim by using a brand new disc with a very sharp edge, had Joe Seddon try to sort it out at the weekend and he was having the same issues. Using a brand new disk worked to some extent, the grind was fine, with the yellow heatsink pads the brake worked really well.... for half a day; and then the grind wore nearly smooth, still making noise but rolling though. The pads themselves had turned silver/black with aluminium dust from the rim. I'm just going to run the rim, having to grind it after every ride to get it to work, until it dies and then try and fine something else. Its a real shame because the rim itself seems plenty strong enough and its really light.

How exactly are you struggling to get yours to work? My issue is literally with getting a decent grind or more the ability of the rim to hold it.

Glad i'm not the only one thats struggling to find a decent set up with this rim.

The brake feels solid (Limey 3 frame, magura slaves, 04 magura lever and fresh products blade) set up properly and have tried it with Koxx browns, coustinks and now heatsink yellows. Only seem to be able to get a decent grind on the rim by using a brand new disc with a very sharp edge, had Joe Seddon try to sort it out at the weekend and he was having the same issues. Using a brand new disk worked to some extent, the grind was fine, with the yellow heatsink pads the brake worked really well.... for half a day; and then the grind wore nearly smooth, still making noise but rolling though. The pads themselves had turned silver/black with aluminium dust from the rim. I'm just going to run the rim, having to grind it after every ride to get it to work, until it dies and then try and fine something else. Its a real shame because the rim itself seems plenty strong enough and its really light.

How exactly are you struggling to get yours to work? My issue is literally with getting a decent grind or more the ability of the rim to hold it.

grind dont seem to bad, just no hold what so ever, cant really ride its that bad

im glad it not just me then ha ha, has any one used the onza singe wall rim, not worried about strength, just about how my breaks work

I know Andrei has just laced one up, i was curious about it as a replacement when this one dies, i'll ask him how its going.

I use this ViZ single wall rim (the stock version), with try-all brown pads and a trialtech carbon brake booster, i don't have any isssue with the braking performance. With medium grind, my braking is perfect..

I don't think that your braking issues come from the rim!!!

I use this ViZ single wall rim (the stock version), with try-all brown pads and a trialtech carbon brake booster, i don't have any isssue with the braking performance. With medium grind, my braking is perfect..

I know in my case i've used several different rear wheels, in the same bike and the brake has worked perfectly, it just wasn't work with the Viz! rim; seems to be fine with some heatsink yellow pads at the moment.

mine sucks too, on my fans 26" frame and tryall 2 bolt booster, fresh medium grind on tnn's goes to poop in a ride. no sound, some bite but just not enough!

steve

it's weird, mine is perfect!

The braking performance is just as good as it was with my "old" try all rim. With the same set-up...

id agree

i cant see how a rim would effect the brake (apart from the obvious.. grind, smooth, tar)

maybe its something else???

maybe if you swop wheels and test to see if the problem goes (because uve changed wheels)

or if it stays (because its not the rim)

take the rim out of the equation?

Edited by stunt man t

id agree

i cant see how a rim would effect the brake (apart from the obvious.. grind, smooth, tar)

maybe if you swop wheels and test to see if the problem goes (because uve changed wheels)

Really?

The rim can flex, much like the frame.

Softer metal will not hold a grind so well and will also shed metal easier, resulting in pads that are covered in crap and don't work.

Stiffer rims are more brittle and could possiable snap under braking pressure although i doubt it.

Really?

The rim can flex, much like the frame.

Softer metal will not hold a grind so well and will also shed metal easier, resulting in pads that are covered in crap and don't work.

Stiffer rims are more brittle and could possiable snap under braking pressure although i doubt it.

Cinsidering the fact that this rim works some of us.

I can't figure it out why it couldn't work for him.

Moreover coming from a try-all double wall rim and currently running a viz single wall rim, i haven't noticed any difference in term of stiffness in the lever feel.

I don't say that single wall rim doesn't affect the stiffness of the rim, but it is negligible.

And as i said before, if it works for me, it should work for him.

My opinion it's not the rim.

Maybe your pads are not bedded yet?

i have never had a problem, I use Viz single wall front and rear and both brakes are that f**k1ng sharp with stupid amounts of hold. You wont make them budge.

Either try new pads or pull the lever harder.

lol what pads u got joe?

did a test today, put a different wheel in with different rim, same grind, didnt adjust or move my brakes... brake works perfect, loads of hold as it should...

id agree

Cinsidering the fact that this rim works some of us.

I can't figure it out why it couldn't work for him.

Moreover coming from a try-all double wall rim and currently running a viz single wall rim, i haven't noticed any difference in term of stiffness in the lever feel.

I don't say that single wall rim doesn't affect the stiffness of the rim, but it is negligible.

And as i said before, if it works for me, it should work for him.

My opinion it's not the rim.

Maybe your pads are not bedded yet?

my brake it solid at the lever, tried a few different grinds, different pads... yes they bedding...

maybe they work with others because of rider weight and actual level of riddding