Skf Bottom Brackets?

Mikey Tomo

Ok I'm in desperate need of swapping bottom brackets over as soon as possible. I don't really have the money either for the proper tool so is there anyway you can take an SKF bottom bracket out without the Truvativ Bottom Bracket Tool?

Edited by Mikey Tomo

If it's anywhere near as tight as it should be, then you will damage it if you try to hammer it out. Mole grips might work if its well greased and not too tight, but again you will probably damage the cups.

Is it not worth asking on here for any local riders with the tool? Or even going to your LBS and ask nicely, they might do it for a small fee. Got any friends that work at Halfords? It really is worth doing things properly sometimes. If you damage the cups too much then you will have to throw it away and buy a new BB, false economy at its finest.

Went to LBS, didn't have the tool. Went to Halfrauds, didn't have the tool. Tried mole grips and vice and none worked. Finally resorted to the hammer and screwdriver which I was dreading, and I was right to... Half my bottom bracket cup is in my shed on the floor but bottom bracket is finally in so all is good :P

A BB lockring tool will just chew through the edge of the cup of a SKF BB too thanks to the cups being Aluminium and the tool being designed to be used on steel. The tool you need is here AFAIK: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=995

I've got one in my garage and I'm pretty sure that's what I used fitting an SKF BB to a friend's bike...

Edited by psycholist

A BB lockring tool will just chew through the edge of the cup of a SKF BB too thanks to the cups being Aluminium and the tool being designed to be used on steel. The tool you need is here AFAIK: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=995

I've got one in my garage and I'm pretty sure that's what I used fitting an SKF BB to a friend's bike...

Doesn't fit as it says on tarty. The LBS had one of those but it's not long enough to go over the axle part. It's too short if you get me.