Tyres With Best Grip/Wearlife -Ratio

Juhoman

Hi,

I was wondering if i should spend some money on trials-tyres if i'm going to do some "from A to B riding" aswell as trials? Tyres i'm currently on are crappy worn out mtb tyres which are slippy as ice if wet.

So if i ride tyres like TryAll Sticky will they be gone in like a month? If yes, what should i get to get optimal wear life with reasonable grip?

Or should i put my money on something else and grind my old tyres to slics and go ghetto? B)

[

well if you ride really good and ride alot they will be gone in a month but something like onza sticky fingers. im riding them and ive been riding them since last august.

try-all if your just starting, onza if your a full time rider. or whatever one you prefer. thats just what i think ;)

Edited by modifiedridah2k9

Hi,

I was wondering if i should spend some money on trials-tyres if i'm going to do some "from A to B riding" aswell as trials? Tyres i'm currently on are crappy worn out mtb tyres which are slippy as ice if wet.

So if i ride tyres like TryAll Sticky will they be gone in like a month? If yes, what should i get to get optimal wear life with reasonable grip?

Or should i put my money on something else and grind my old tyres to slics and go ghetto? B)

It depends on what type of terrain your riding because:

if your riding competions and you want maximum grip go for the softer compound tryalls.

but if your riding street you'll want something grippy which will also last longer so go for the harder compound Maxxis tyres.

Seen as your wanting A to B tyres you best option will probably maxxis (Y). i cant really suggest any because i don't ride stock :P

It depends on what type of terrain your riding because:

if your riding competions and you want maximum grip go for the softer compound tryalls.

but if your riding street you'll want something grippy which will also last longer so go for the harder compound Maxxis tyres.

Seen as your wanting A to B tyres you best option will probably maxxis (Y). i cant really suggest any because i don't ride stock :P

I ride some streety stuff while i find a street from this wilderness i live in. Usually i ride on gravel with some pallets etc.

Taking into consideration the terrain would the TryAll stickys provide better grip or should i just go for the maxxis. And if so which one(Minion, High Roller, Swampthing...)?

oh, and the A to B stuff comes in when i go looking for the street to do street. :) Maybe one should learn to drive.

Edited by Juhoman

i have had a duel ply high roler on the rear for about a year now mate and its hardly showing any sign of wear, my set up is high roller on rear and try-all on front

Super Tacky 42a compound i presume. Sounds promising.

On gravel, grain size about half an inch would it be better to have big knobs or smaller ones? You could assume that big knobbed tyre would rip the ground more than slicker one. If those grains get rolling grip is lost. So would it make sense to pick up tyre like Minion ( http://www.tartybike...&category_id=33 ) or even Larsen 8 http://www.tartybike...&category_id=33 ) over let's say Hi Roller ( http://www.tartybike...&category_id=33 )?

Smoother ones have lower price and they're lighter..

yes mate 42a, I have used this combination of tyres on mud, gravel, wet grass, pretty much everything and it grips really well, and because they are not very expensive, when it does wear down they can be replaced easily, I really do love my rear tyre, never had a pinch flat. just make sure you get the dual ply as I have tried the single ply on the rear and it just folds under pressure.

oh and i would recommend the 2.35 instead of the 2.50

[

well if you ride really good and ride alot they will be gone in a month but something like onza sticky fingers. im riding them and ive been riding them since last august.

try-all if your just starting, onza if your a full time rider. or whatever one you prefer. thats just what i think ;)

Onza sticky fingers are horrid... :S

The Try-all probably wear down the fastest so I'm not sure why they'd be good for a beginner? IF anything the "full time rider" should use Maxxis or Continental.

maxis, if your on a stock in my opinion.

but i ride a mod so im not 100% sure

Maxxis are pretty good, but the continental are just that little bit superior in pretty much every way I've found :)

why?   :huh: 

Lighter

If you're worried about wear life it'll be the compound which will dictate the life span of a tyre.

I have a harder compound dual ply high roller rear tyre, had it for ages and it still looks in good shape. About 2 months after I bought the rear, I went for a super tacky single ply front tyre, that's pretty much nailed already. Awesome grip, just going place to place has beasted it.