Is Iceland'S Volcanic Ash Cloud Coming Near You?

Rusevelt

Was just watching this on BBC news, about the big on-going talk of a potential worldwide threat that this volcanic ash cloud from Iceland may cause, specifically to worldwide flights, but potentially other issues such a gobal warming. Anyone here experienced in this field of expertise can say what the potential short-term and long-term risks are with this natural phenomenon?

Uk flights to international destinations are being suspended until 12pm at the moment.

Edited by Rusevelt

The world isn't going to end today.

However, thousands of airline passengers will go apeshit in various airports, and blame staff.

This, overall, is good, in a way. It's a reminder that we can have all the investment banks, drugs and shit that we want, but good old Earth is still the don of the day.

I'd have thought flights were cancelled due to not wanting to get ash and stuff in the engines.

Yup. Basically a precautionary measure to ground all flights. That sort of decision isn't taken lightly but as for any other long or short term effects I'd say minimal. Worst case is a few places may get a light dusting of ash when it finally comes down. Hardly the Day after Tomorrow...

Nothing's going to happen.

Well, clearly something will but I wanted to use that line like every other f**ker in here. However, the world is not going to end. The raping and pillaging can still commence though, need something interesting in the news.

What i meant was, we aren't all going to be choked to death by the relatively miniscule amount of ash that's coming out of it, it won't make a huge difference to anything and will go away as quickly as it came, so don't shit brix just yet.

As for the planes, it's obvious (and has been said above, but in true T-F style i'll repeat it) It won't do a plane any good to fly through all the ash n' that coming out of the volcano. Granted it would probably be absolutely fine, but they can't risk it.

Edited by Skoze

Does this mean I can go out, steal cars and rape women?

The end is nigh! Repent your sins!

Proceed at will.

I heard a story about a 747 that entered a cloud of ash, and all the engines stopped. The plane continued to glide in deathly silence, but upon reaching the clear air on the other side, all four fired up and it carried on it's way. I say let 'em go and fly.

Quoted from the BBC news:

The plume is so high that it will neither be visible nor pose a threat to the health of humans on the ground

The major concern is that the ash could pose a very serious hazard to aircraft engines.

If volcanic ash particles are ingested into a jet engine, they accumulate and clog the engines with molten glass.

I think that about sums it up, its bad for planes, but jack shit else. Waahhhaaaayyy, we get to live!

Edit: whats going on with the formatting of this post? It randomly changed its own font size and colour, and wont change back quite rite?

Edited by RobinJI

I heard a story about a 747 that entered a cloud of ash, and all the engines stopped. The plane continued to glide in deathly silence, but upon reaching the clear air on the other side, all four fired up and it carried on it's way. I say let 'em go and fly.

Exactly. Hell, they fly planes through buildings in America, let alone a bit of ash!

• Like 3

What i meant was, we aren't all going to be choked to death by the relatively miniscule amount of ash that's coming out of it, it won't make a huge difference to anything and will go away as quickly as it came, so don't shit brix just yet.

As for the planes, it's obvious (and has been said above, but in true T-F style i'll repeat it) It won't do a plane any good to fly through all the ash n' that coming out of the volcano. Granted it would probably be absolutely fine, but they can't risk it.

maybe there's something in that misty cloud of ash. like super huge spiders and other varieties of insects that have come to kill us all. it must have been the army, opening up portals into other multi-verses and dimensions, we will have to each sacrifice members of our families to keep the monsters away and pray to god to not be vengeful upon ourselves. the time to repent is NOW!!