Up To Front

Bronz

I went out last night and decided to learn gaps to front. I found them surprisingly easy and started getting ~2m onto a kerb/curb but when I went to try them onto a wall ~12" high I just couldn't do it :S I found myself just pedal kicking into a wall, just placing the front wheel on the edge with my back wheel just finding the floor each time.

I know there are the obvious tips like 'get higher and drop the front more' or 'lean into it' etc but are there any non obvious tips I should hear?

Cheers all,

H

I went out last night and decided to learn gaps to front. I found them surprisingly easy and started getting ~2m onto a kerb/curb but when I went to try them onto a wall ~12" high I just couldn't do it :S I found myself just pedal kicking into a wall, just placing the front wheel on the edge with my back wheel just finding the floor each time.

I know there are the obvious tips like 'get higher and drop the front more' or 'lean into it' etc but are there any non obvious tips I should hear?

Cheers all,

H

Throw your weight foward more/ lean over the front more. :)

I went out last night and decided to learn gaps to front. I found them surprisingly easy and started getting ~2m onto a kerb/curb but when I went to try them onto a wall ~12" high I just couldn't do it wacko.gif I found myself just pedal kicking into a wall, just placing the front wheel on the edge with my back wheel just finding the floor each time.

Cheers all,

H

exactly the same for me, judging my your photo you can side hop, I'd say try and sidehop to front wheel instead of intentionally gapping to front, if you know what i mean?

Hey, ive just started learning going straight to front, altough i find it easier to go up to front as to gap to front and wheel swap. Id say pretend your doing a non-static side hop, but lean forwards dip the front wheel into the wall.

Hmm i geuss that doesnt really make much sense, but i hope it helps anyway.

Check for loose stones :giggle:

I have recently been getting these dialed until I f**ked up.

Are you saying you can GAP to front about 2m but are having trouble doing UP to fronts?

Or

Are you saying you are having trouble doing GAPS UP to front?

Click and watch at 29 secs+

If it is that you are having trouble doing UP to fronts then my advice is to do a little preload hop forward first and then launch into the main pedal kick.

As soon as you leave the ground you need to get up and OVER the bars with your weight forward so that when the front wheel lands on the wall you are right over the bars and your back wheel is waving around in the air BEHIND you but not below you.

Now you need to extend your arms and legs and push the bike onto the wall like a wheelswap,you should do this very dynamically if you want your rear wheel to end up on the wall.

It is easier to learn this by grabbing a hand full of front brake and then modulating it but for ultimate smoothness learn to do it without the front brake.

You really need to get that front wheel over the top edge of the wall cos when you commit to the leaning forward bit, which is the ONLY way you are gonna pull this off, if it misses the wall your going to eat shit big time.

Try practicing this on the low wall you have been trying by doing a little preload hop forwards and then when you do the main hop land it with the front wheel on top of the wall and the rear wheel still on the ground, THEN lean forward very hard to bring the back wheel up, modulate the brake and thrust forward with your arms.

This will build your confidence up that you are not going to die.

When you have got this bit done, you wanna start pedal kicking so your front wheel hits the front edge of the wall just at the top, lean forward a bit and keep your BRAKE ON, your back wheel should be swinging around behind you below horizontal.

Now pull back on the bars so you hop back onto the rear wheel.

Keep doing this for a while, committing more weight forward each time till the back wheel comes up to at least horizontal and you feel that you are ready to let the wheel roll forward by modulating the front brake.

By learning these two different moves you build your confidence up that you can A: get that back wheel up on the wall and B: that you can place your front wheel accurately.

This move really is just about having the balls/confidence that your wheel is gonna land on top of the wall, as long as that happens the worst that can go wrong is you smash your bash into the top edge of the wall or you step back off your bike onto a loose rock and detach your ligament from your 5th metatarsal and end up so bored you start shooting out all the street lamps in the village to see how dark it would be.

Edited by Matt Vandart
  • Like 1

i got a plan whenever ive tried going on to front up something i dont put enough effort in slipp and twat my knee on the stemm .. i also have a problem with girp and as i usaly dont get high enogh just slipp . decrees tyre pressure for more grip

Edited by moreton rider