Knocking Noise From My Drive

terry26rims

Replaced my 22t chain ring and bought a new chain but am still feeling a knock when i do revolutions on my cranks. Thought it might be the bottom bracket but when there is no chain it doesn't do it! When i lift the rear wheel off the floor and push the cranks round with my hand the chain seems to move up and down a couple of mm's making it look blurry, this isn't normal is it? What's causing it? Also the chain has come off in the past but not recently.

no it did it before thats why i bought the new bits to eliminate the chainring and chain from the problem.

Its the bottom bracket, i had the exact same problem with my jump bike. there bearing are probably shot but only make a sound under enough pressuer which explains why it knocks when you are pedalling but not when you just crank it with your hands.

Hub/freewheel? Crank on magura slave? Pedal bearings? Bottom bracket?

I know pedal bearings are not quite gone but are not any where close to perfect. Bottom bracket is my thoughts but what about the chain fluctuation? Maybe thats causing the chain to not land properly within the teeth i don.t know what to try any more. I don.t know too much about bottom bracket or have any tools to remove it or replace it. Get a shop to look at it time?

Its the bottom bracket, i had the exact same problem with my jump bike. there bearing are probably shot but only make a sound under enough pressuer which explains why it knocks when you are pedalling but not when you just crank it with your hands.

You've hit in the nail on the head i think can't do bottom brackets myself so that will be next on the list to change. Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

It's can't be the BB, because you said it doesn't do it with the chain off?

You just replaced the sprocket, so it's most likely chain suck because the chain is old. New chain will most likely sort it.

Turn the pedals back and forward, when you here the clunk does the chain jump or vibrate? If so you've got chain suck, new chain time. (Y)