The Brake-Less Bug

LordMersey

84 members have voted

1. 1. Have you got the Brake-less bug?

• Yes
    • No
    • No but I had it
    • No but Im thinking of catching it

The ability to make a few people cry makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Oh my that DH bike standardization comment was too funny. I'm still laughing...actually spat out some of my Horlicks

With a trials gear ratio simply your not going to be able to generate enough speed to do 90% of what bmx riders can do. Hence trails ratio limits you to trials moves, so why not keep the brakes on and ride bigger and better!

If your lost what you have experienced in this and the previous posts, it is an opinion...I think brake-less trials is pointless you should just ride a bmx!

Again, how is that BMX?

HEHE

You can do that with brakes my good man and more >insert Danny Mac video here <

And they are all trials moves...on trials gearing.

In my opinion pointless...leave your brake on your a trials rider.

If you want to do something brake-less go ride a bmx.............................................

Really if it wasn't for spiny trials gearing keeping riders tricks based around trials, your chalk and cheese really would hold no weight.

Why is it that most brake-less trials riders are choosing to ride a smaller 24" wheel? Easier to rotate, lighter, more maneuverable....like a bmx.

Your one wheel size smaller and a heavier gear away.

http://vimeo.com/4454622

Again, how is that BMX?

You still haven't answered that, or anything else I wrote in that other post. I know you're doing this to try and put people's backs up, but you might want to do a better job of it so you don't just keep coming across as an uninformed dick?

HEHE

If you want to do something brake-less go ride a bmx.............................................

I don't understand why your comparing it to bmx?

I think it's a good idea to try riding with no brakes it will make you a better rider.

Maybe for someone who feels like there not progressing at all if they rode brakeless for a while I'm sure when they go back to brakes they would feel almost kind of refreshed and get better than they were before.

Brake-less BMX

Brake-less Trials

There is no point..

Its a great excuse as to why you won't or can't go big or do certain tricks/moves.

You could say the same about brakeless BMX then, there is no point as it makes it harder/impossible to do certain tricks?

(Not meant to be argumentative - just making a point!)

I thought i'd stick my tuppence worth in.........

Er i have refrained from commenting on it ( other that jocking about with my friends/ loved ones who are brakeless- you know who you are)

from speaking to the guys and hearing opinions i am starting to see a bit of an appeal- i know i wont be riding for a while but if it is still the done thing in the new year then i will give it a go- mabey, i am bad enough with brakes! lol

I am not going to truely pass judgement until i give it a propper go.

Kenny

The ability to make a few people cry makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Oh my that DH bike standardization comment was too funny. I'm still laughing...actually spat out some of my Horlicks

With a trials gear ratio simply your not going to be able to generate enough speed to do 90% of what bmx riders can do. Hence trails ratio limits you to trials moves, so why not keep the brakes on and ride bigger and better!

If your lost what you have experienced in this and the previous posts, it is an opinion...I think brake-less trials is pointless you should just ride a bmx!

There not competeing, so why do they need to do huge stuff,

You dont have to go huge to have fun, when you improve you have fun and feel all happy with your self,

And these guys riding brakeless are improving all the time, as with brakes they might of hit a wall and not of been improving as quickly, which can make it boring.

You have to remember that most of these people doing brakeless have been riding for years !!! ( not calling you all old buggars though :P)

and to be doing the same thing all the time can get boring, brakeless is something new and something new for people too learn.

And i dont think i could give too flying f*cks what a bmxer can do brakeless, this is brakeless TRIALS not bmx !!

Sam :D

You could say the same about brakeless BMX then, there is no point as it makes it harder/impossible to do certain tricks?

(Not meant to be argumentative - just making a point!)

Not meant to be argumentative - just making a point...same here

With bmx, brake-less makes them commit more. Its a fact, I've asked many bmx'ers and also in return have asked why do I run brakes on my park and DJ bike.

My answer to them, with brakes I am more consistent.

You still haven't answered that, or anything else I wrote in that other post. I know you're doing this to try and put people's backs up, but you might want to do a better job of it so you don't just keep coming across as an uninformed dick?

Really man, your taking it to that level grow up! its an opinion.

You are the only one getting your back up and trying to cause an argument. I chose not to answer to a lot of your post, as I'm only providing my opinion and can't help but feel you are trying to take every thing I say as an attack and for what it is not.

The topic is about the brake-less bug, a bug which I don't agree with!

Over it, this thread bores me!

Edited by philth

If you want to feel real progression and improve on your trials bike, try riding other disciplines. BMX is my obvious point if break-less is your goal.

I didn't touch my trials bike for 5months when I build my park/DJ bike. I was enjoying the sense of progression, learning NEW riding skills that you won't learn on a trials bike. Getting back on the trials bike after 5months I was riding better than I was, maybe lacking a few inches in my ups. (this was more down to my timing being a bit rusty)

This is the same principle though - get of the bike with brakes for a while and when you get back on a bike with them you'll be riding better than you were riding with brakes before the brakeless stint. Riding brakeless teaches you far more about how a bike reacts and can be manipulated than if you're relying in super-solid brakes and sticky tyres to bail you out if anything goes a bit dodgy...

• Like 1

Not meant to be argumentative - just making a point...same here

With bmx, brake-less makes them commit more. Its a fact, I've asked many bmx'ers and also in return have asked why do I run brakes on my park and DJ bike.

My answer to them, with brakes I am more consistent.

Cool (Y)

So, in trials, it's the same - no brakes = you have to commit more (plus the other 'benefits' listed above), brakes = more consistent. Everyone's a winner!

I'd have thought you would embrace this Phil, as an oldskool rider yourself! Getting 'bored' of trials and making it a new, fun challenge is what brakeless is about for me. I'll never be much good at it (certainly nowhere near as good as Rowan, Stan, Ali C, Ben Travis) but I don't care as long as I can enjoy riding again.

Saying that you take your brakes off on a BMX to commit doesn't really make any sense at all. I'm brakeless on my BMX not because it makes me 'commit' to things more, but because it's a lot more fun and you have to ride better. It doesn't stop you bitching out of anything as I've seen plenty of people bitch out of stuff, and I've bitched out of things too. If it was about committing to moves and going fast, then why are so many flatlanders brakeless?

HEHE

Yes but can you do it without brakes? Thats kind of the point

By the way your arguments crap

Philth; have you never gone out on a ride and thought to yourself "Right, I know I can do this line, let's see if I can do it without pedalling after a certain point/without using the brakes/dressed as a chicken" or anything to push yourself in a different way rather than just adding an inch to a gap/up/etc?

It's about injecting a new approach to stuff to make you see things through fresh eyes; it's fun and that's what riding is supposed to be about :)

(though it appears a lot of people seem to forget this in their manic inch-hunt)

• Like 1

it's fun and that's what riding is supposed to be about :)

I think that's what's being missed. No one's saying that you'll be able to out do your mates on moves or be able to ride better than Kenny Belaey because you've got no brakes but from what I gather there's a bloody good chance you'll have a hell of a lot more fun than some of them purely because of the challenge.

It's about injecting a new approach to stuff to make you see things through fresh eyes; it's fun and that's what riding is supposed to be about :)

(though it appears a lot of people seem to forget this in their manic inch-hunt)

Couldn't agree more really. Going out and having little competitions with others as to who can make this line manifesto for example is so much fun!

Manifesto is a great example really, casting brakeless aside for a moment. Manifesto is still "trials" being done on a "trials" bike. You can make a sidehop while hopping around like a pogo stick, or you can try it without hopping at all. Its all about mixing it up and trying something new!

How about brake-less manifesto.... :shifty:

Iv only played at it very breifly and it does seem a lot of fun in that you are limited in a lot of ways. Every thing makes you think and a spot that was over ridden and dull has some life again. yes you could do more on a bike with breaks but its like a fresh start. I don't think many riders are only running a breakless bike. I also think as a few people have said as well because it challenges you it makes you improve in other ways, could also help you learn to conserve speed and energy in a comp (if trials is all about being better than other people and not haveing fun).

Cool (Y)

So, in trials, it's the same - no brakes = you have to commit more (plus the other 'benefits' listed above), brakes = more consistent. Everyone's a winner!

I'd have thought you would embrace this Phil, as an oldskool rider yourself! Getting 'bored' of trials and making it a new, fun challenge is what brakeless is about for me. I'll never be much good at it (certainly nowhere near as good as Rowan, Stan, Ali C, Ben Travis) but I don't care as long as I can enjoy riding again.

Brake-less doesn't appeal to me as much as a big change. I'm gagging to give 24" with brakes a shot, it seems it would suit my flowy/streety riding style better.

I've competed a lot in England where most of the time with the weather you have no brake anyway...but they are delicious when they work.

I'm really only bored of stop and hop, TGS and the comp scene...Thats just how trials has played out for me, but that still isn't enough for me to want to take my brakes off.

Like a broken record, brakes and trials make sense to me.

I'll save brake-less for park riding and dirt.

Brakes or no brakes....I ride for the same reason as most people on here...IT'S JUST FUN!

Edited by philth

It's about injecting a new approach to stuff to make you see things through fresh eyes; it's fun and that's what riding is supposed to be about.

Trials is a gay end of... But I agree with what most people have said about it being much more about having fun, I'm so glad I sold my mod and built up the Marino (brakeless) as its made me ride more in a week than the last month or two when I had my mod. I can roll around town and just ride whatever I come across rather than stopping at one wall for half hour trying to sidehop or tap it.

You can have your penis pump back now the Mods gone, I'm now happy with the inches I've got. laugh.gif

I miost definately have the bug. I built my inspired up in november and took the brakes off at christmas. I have not touched my comp bike since last year and I have only just put my brakes back on for demo reasons. I have competed for 13 years, but brakeless is so fun I don't think I'll compete again anytime soon.

Oh, and some of the stuff we've filmed for Ali's video (which should be out very soon, if I get my shit together)
get that shit gathered! :rolleyes: