Training Thread.

Simpson

Basically looking to get into hard training this summer (after uni), I want to generally get fitter, improve core strength etc, with the aim of boxing next year at uni, whilst improving my riding and general health.

My training programme is pretty basic atm, to train 5 times a weeek

In the morning 1 hour cardio session, probably just a morning run to start the day.

And in the evening, a 1 hour gym session, 30 mins on the punch bag

I will mostly be concentrating on core strength because its not like I want to have monkey arms and nothing in the chest or body.

Just wondering what people would advise, times to eat? What to eat? Training techniquies? Suppliments? Maximuscle ProMax a good choice?

Thanks guys.

Basically looking to get into hard training this summer (after uni), I want to generally get fitter, improve core strength etc, with the aim of boxing next year at uni, whilst improving my riding and general health.

My training programme is pretty basic atm, to train 5 times a weeek

In the morning 1 hour cardio session, probably just a morning run to start the day.

And in the evening, a 1 hour gym session, 30 mins on the punch bag

I will mostly be concentrating on core strength because its not like I want to have monkey arms and nothing in the chest or body.

Just wondering what people would advise, times to eat? What to eat? Training techniquies? Suppliments? Maximuscle ProMax a good choice?

Thanks guys.

Could have a good convo with you about this, wanna' hit me up on msn ?

trials-monkey@hotmail.co.uk

Martyn Ashton, put up a little article in MBUK (Feb or Mar 2010 issue i think) about how he realized the hard way of why increased fitness helps improved his pro riding. Martyn openly states that for years he was really stubborn about getting into the whole fitness guru thing until he finally decided to hired a fitness trainer, and now that he experiencing the benefits after a months of sweat and tears, his riding is becoming more and more natural to him. Can't find that article on the web, so you may have to facebook him about that. TRA's fitness thread on his website is good also because it focuses on his powerful riding style.

As you probably know, I'm a boxing trainer most evenings of the week so hopefully I can help you out. Haven't got time for an essay now, but the basic idea you have is fine.

Cardio in the morning and resistance work in the evening is a good balance, whether that resistance be weights or on a bag.

Times to eat wise, little and often is best. You want to be making sure your stomach can deal with the food you're putting in there and process it before you start working out to get the most out of it. Don't eat anything before a morning run - you should still be fuelled from the night before. You can eat straight after to then start fuelling yourself through the day.

Regarding what to eat, I'm a bit undecided on a personal level - I seem to do just fine on a diet of 'eat what you want, but take into account what you should be eating'. Means I don't ever feel like I'm depriving myself of anything, but I also don't just sit around eating fast food.

Boxing specific wise, the biggest mistake people make when they are training on their own is neglecting the shadow boxing side of things - working in front of a mirror WILL better your form and techniques. Plus, because you're not actually hitting anything you wont get caught in the trap of just giving big ol' haymakers all the time and you'll work on the other shots you should be thinking about as well as blocking and dodging moves.

To add to JD's post, and seeing as he's a boxing trainer you couldn't ask for more really but here is my old training schedule for kick boxing back when I was a young lad like yerself, I reckon it would kill me now :lol:

You need to start by getting your stamina foundation right.

This can be achieved by L.S.D, no not acid but long SLOW distance running.

Start with an easy distance of appx. 2 miles every other day then build this up to 5 miles over about 6 months.

Remember that you wanna be a good boxer not runner so this is sufficient, overtraining is WORSE than undertraining on the days you are not running get skills training sessions in.

You should aim to have covered about 200 miles in this six month period, your times for the runs will get shorter as you get fitter and you will find that eventually you cannot improve on your time which is the signal to start thinking about changing your type of running.

You should then change to a style of running known as varied pace running. This will improve your speed and is more similar to boxing in that you are using your anaerobic fitness (Recovery) alot with explosive bursts of activity (Konocking f**k outa the other guy and avoiding his punches) along with your aerobic fitness to get you through the rounds.

The idea is to vary your oxygen demands so that you are doing both anaerobic and aerobic exercise.

So now do:

1/2 mile of L.S.D (jogging) to warm up

100m walk

100m jog

100m run

100m sprint

100m walk

100m jog etc for 1.5 miles then back to L.S.D for the final 1/2 mile

This will hurt for the first few times and you should be only doing ONE session of this type of running/ week.

So at six months you should be:

Monday: 5 miles jogging

Tuesday: skills training in the gym

Wednesday: 1/2 mile warm up jogging, 1.5 miles varied pace running as above running, 1/2 mile warm down jogging

Thursday: Skills training in the gym

Friday: 3 mile medium/fast pace running

Saturday: Skills training in the gym then to thePub!

Sunday: Trials/ BMX / Sleeping / Dogging....... whatever takes your fancy.

After a further six months of this shit you need to start INTERVAL running.

Which can be found here KILK ME

Which has saved me alot of typing.

Do not be tempted to short cut to interval running as this will probably lead to injury which will set you back loads as I am finding out ATM.

This training schedule was not developed by me but is from a guy called Pat O'Keefe who is a double hard b*****d.

I can't really help you on the skills side of it anymore because it was 16 years ago since I was right into it, and when I started back 2 years ago I was shit and soon lost interest when I realized I would never get back to the level I was and started riding my bike more but I'm sure JD can help you out with that along with your own instructor.

Remember to have fun, never drop your guard, never take your eyes off your opponent, there are no short cuts and keep it up!

Good luck dude.

EDIT: Also what JD said about shadow boxing, this is essential.

Repetition is the key to it, just like trials, you need to train your brain so much that movements become automatic, and no longer need conscious thought , by programing you muscle/brain interface you free your mind to concentrate on strategy.

Practice a shadow boxing all the time, watching telly, waiting for the kettle to boil, waiting for your pot noodle, waiting for the bus etc. You may look like a loon but all these repetitions add up and imagine you are fighting someone, really focus your brain till you can almost see the dude. Practice punches AND guards/blocks AND avoidance moves, often you will see people just punching away at space, not really thinking about what they are doing, they are the ones that get KO'd.

Edited by Matt Vandart

Awsome guys cheers for all the advise, JD may try and make it down to your gym sometime if thats cool? Where abouts isit? Because I'm living in Kingston over the summer so I'm only 30mins away from the location in your profile?

For now while I'm at uni with no access to a gym going to try and get an hours worth of jogging in a day and sort my diet out which doesn't sound like a bad start.

Awsome guys cheers for all the advise, JD may try and make it down to your gym sometime if thats cool? Where abouts isit? Because I'm living in Kingston over the summer so I'm only 30mins away from the location in your profile?

For now while I'm at uni with no access to a gym going to try and get an hours worth of jogging in a day and sort my diet out which doesn't sound like a bad start.

Yea man, you're more than welcome to come down and have a look - if we do it at a weekend then I don't mind training with you for nought to see where you're at either (we're closed at the weekend now so doesn't bother me - I'd only be training anyway!) and then you can see whether the trek is easy enough for you to train with our group on a regular basis over the summer.

It's based in South Croydon, nice and easy to get to.

Jogging (turning that into running over time) is a great way to start and build a base level of prolonged cardio fitness. There's a reason all the boxers include a massive amount of running in their schedules (although varying it as mentioned by Matt)

Also when would I be expected to fight if I wanted to? After a year or sooner? Or does it totally depend on your ability skill level etc?

We have 2 groups:

'Un-carded' boxers are those without their ABA card, so those that aren't legal to fight. Some of the guys stay in this group because they are just there for the fitness and/or sparrin. The others are ones who aren't good enough yet or have been too lazy to get a medical and get their card sorted.

'Carded' boxers are those who have had their medical and are legal to fight. You can do this at any point, but there's no point if you're not going to fight or aren't ready. Some of those in this group actually don't want to fight, they just want to spar with the guys in this group because it's generally a higher level of technical ability.

Basically there's no time limit on the time you have to fight. You don't ever have to. Likewise, we won't let you if you're just going to get smashed up or make the club look shit!

Would I pass a medical after having a full spleenectomy do you know?

I can't imagine it being a massive problem, but I couldn't say for sure. I'll ask tonight for you if I remember and the doc is about, but I don't remember being asked about anything like that in my one - it was more of a 'do you take any drugs?', 'do you feel fit?' and 'piss in this' sort of affair (the urine sample is actually to look for kidney problems, there's no drug test at amateur level - not that that means you should take them!)

Stop smoking!

I like the thread Simps!

Me being a weedy 15 year old, I need to man up a little. :P

There's some other training threads that will probably be more up your street for general fitness/weights(though you're 15 so concentrate on bodyweight exercises)/health that you could search for. There was one by Dave a while ago that I wrote an essay in - dunno how you'd find it though!

i have always found jogging/exercising first thing in the morning is very difficult due to very little energy, even 2 hours after breakfast. my body takes a while to wake up lol.

It is indeed harder, generally, without a great bit of fuelling the night before and a good nights sleep. BUT even though you probably wont perform at your best, you'll get great results. Plus, knowing that you can run when you've got no energy is a great way of getting extra performance when you're filled the the brim with energy for a race or something similar. This time last year, for instance, I was in the final few days before the London Marathon and I was practically bouncing off the walls having not run for nearly 2 weeks - the extra energy I had in comparison with the year of constant tiredness I'd been subjected to by a gruelling training regime gave me a massive boost in confidence.

Damn, I wish I was still that fit. lol.

EDIT: another benefit to doing cardio in the morning is that your body continues to burn fat through the rest of the day more efficiently than it does normally. This means anything you eat after is going into your muscles in a much more lean state (Y) I can vouch for this as I'm currently running at 7.5% body fat even though I'm gaining weight consistently (which is the plan...)

Edited by JDâ„¢

Going well so far, concentrating on increasing my general fitness before getting into hardcore training, because at the level I'm at the bar needs to be raised massively before I can even think about training seriously 5 times a week, so my general plan at the moment is to just run for an hour a day, did a massive long block of the familiar area of Portsmouth and did some interval sprinting training, got myself a partner who's level of fitness is just above mine so hopefully will push me on, going to try and eat earlyer today because atm I'm only really eating one real meal at 9-10pm which is why I think I've put on the extra weight, so definatly got to change that first!

Going well so far, concentrating on increasing my general fitness before getting into hardcore training, because at the level I'm at the bar needs to be raised massively before I can even think about training seriously 5 times a week, so my general plan at the moment is to just run for an hour a day, did a massive long block of the familiar area of Portsmouth and did some interval sprinting training, got myself a partner who's level of fitness is just above mine so hopefully will push me on, going to try and eat earlyer today because atm I'm only really eating one real meal at 9-10pm which is why I think I've put on the extra weight, so definatly got to change that first!

Don't even need to be running every day at first, and I wouldn't recommend it. Going in all guns blazing will only end in either injury or a lack of motivation when it turns into a chore. I'd suggest going in at 3 or 4 times a week, then on the rest days doing something like 5 sets of (20 sit-ups (alternating different types of situp each set), 20 press-ups, 20 squat jumps) just to feel you're doing something. Make sure you have at least one full rest day though (Y)

EDIT: Loving the enthusiasm though, which is why I say do less sessions but make them all quality sessions that you enjoy.

Edited by JDâ„¢

There's some other training threads that will probably be more up your street for general fitness/weights(though you're 15 so concentrate on bodyweight exercises)/health that you could search for. There was one by Dave a while ago that I wrote an essay in - dunno how you'd find it though!

Ah, cheers Jason!

Will have a scout around now. :)

Anyone here doing the Virgin London Marathon this Sunday?

I wish :( wanted to do last FLM (which I did) and first VLM but didn't get in and couldn't get the sponsorship together. Probably do Abingdon towards the end of the year instead :( I'll probably go watch it though.

Looking at myself in the mirror everyday is enough reason to make me go out and run!

When you've got shin splints and can't run through overtraining that mirror image will look a whole lot worse, trust me!

Listen to JD the man talks truth.

3 days running with body exercises in between is perfect.

This is vital.

There are no shortcuts to fitness. Your still young and you have loads of time, six months seems a lifetime but it is no time. Put this base in and reap the rewards.

You really don't want shin splints :sick: you need to get a good running style to prevent this, some people overstride when running in order to go faster/reduce times, this puts too much force through your heel and your foot slaps down, this can lead to 'shin splints' and worse stress fractures.

I used to run XC as this is better on your joints.

Try it out, you'll soon find that you get into it, relax into running, your only competing against yourself, it gives you time to think, you are doing nothing other than running and you can mull over stuff, coursework, money issues, what you want out of life, some bird you wanna rag...........

This is a very good side benefit of running/jogging.

On the fighting side of it JD is giving good advice, you don't wanna fight till your completely ready because if you do and that other guy is ready, he's gonna knock shit out of you and believe it's gonna hurt.

A well set base of fitness is essential for success because all other things being equal (Strength, skill, mental etc.) the fittest guy is gonna win every time.

Your not gonna go in and just start knocking people out like Micky from snatch unless you ARE a hard as f**k Pikey and either way, getting fit and knowing you are fit, knowing you have put in all the preparation you need, gives confidence and mental stability which are essential if you really wanna be a good fighter.

Think about it, if you take shortcuts and really get into this and get really good, successful, and there is no reason why this should not happen apart from your age then one day you come up against a guy that has done everything correctly and he kicks your ass.

How gutted will you be?

On the age bit ^^ I have mates that did not start kickboxing till well into their twenties, two of them are AWESOME fighters despite starting late but against someone that has been doing it since he was ten they have to work a hell of a lot harder.

I would like also to point out again that I am not much good anymore (physically anyway) because a fight with a bus at a combined speed of 60 mph soon stopped my aspirations. :lol:

I'll stop babbling now.

When you've got shin splints

Is there anything that can be done about this injury? i develop the initial stage early, well before i'm pushing my level these days

Although I haven't been running/cycling for a long time due to massive uni commitments, i can drop weight like nobodies business but regaining it heathily/at all is really hard.

I suppose it's easing you body into the training very gradually, as i'm ok with my fitness i tend to stop running when my joints hurt, not when i'm muscularly spent. But then i never ran much as a youth. I did foorball and the like, but my passion was cycling so i think my calfs are runing my lower legs muscle balance? I've also recovered from a tendon issue, phoenetically it sounds like 'oscar-schlates' or 'plateal-schlates' i know the latter is knee which is what i'm convinced the injury was.

Fight with a bus, savage, i've punched the indicator off one on my motorbike but never hit one of the f**kers full on!

Edited by shamus