Training Thread.

Simpson

Is there anything that can be done about this injury? i develop the initial stage early, well before i'm pushing my level these days

Although I haven't been running/cycling for a long time due to massive uni commitments, i can drop weight like nobodies business but regaining it heathily/at all is really hard.

I suppose it's easing you body into the training very gradually, as i'm ok with my fitness i tend to stop running when my joints hurt, not when i'm muscularly spent. But then i never ran much as a youth. I did foorball and the like, but my passion was cycling so i think my calfs are runing my lower legs muscle balance? I've also recovered from a tendon issue, phoenetically it sounds like 'oscar-schlates' or 'plateal-schlates' i know the latter is knee which is what i'm convinced the injury was.

Fight with a bus, savage, i've punched the indicator off one on my motorbike but never hit one of the f**kers full on!

The only true cure is to stop running, which is pretty poor because it takes weeks for it to go away. If you get them it's for a reason - either running to fast/far to early or a crap technique. Crap technique will mainly stem from trainers which don't work for your individual gait, so always be sure to get that checked out. In the case of shin splints, it's absolutely true that prevention is far better then cure. And that's because my personal cure is...

Grab a rolling pin, scaffold pole or something similar. Also grab a wooden spoon. Wooden spoon is to be gripped in your teeth so you don't scream like a sissy girl. Just below the knew, press that rolling pin into your shin as hard as you can, and then roll down to your foot. Keep the pressure as hard as you can the whole way, it WILL hurt. Repeat a few times per leg and don't run for a good few hours.

It's a temporary fix but it got me through some times where I needed to train early on.

on the particlularly painful part of the shin, really use your thumbs with force to massage the shin. starting at the left side of the shin (where splint will be) almost try to stretch the muscle over the shin bone, it'll hurt but will sort you out.

do it a few times a week, as well as icing shin a few times a day if you can.

a big factor in shin splints it due to crap trainers, if your serious about running get decent shoes, not meaning £40 addidas clogs, asics are good but personally i use saucony hurricane XI, they have a gel inserts in the sole, and because of my over prenating when running have a harder insert built in the sole (dark grey area) they come in at almost £100 but then on top i saw a foot doctor and had some custom insoles made to completely correct my running stride, they werent cheap at £65 but all in all money well spent

i've had a shin splint before, only minor, but they suck so invest a bit of cash in your feet

Your shin splints are probably caused by your calf muscles being too tight this means the muscles on the front (your shins are being overstretched.

You wanna balance this by stretching your calf muscles, alot, this will should soon sort you out.

(Info from my mate that is qualified in these things, can't remember what he does, not a physio but somit similar but less qualified, anyway he's a clever git)

cheers guys for the advice. when i started running i cruised around runnersworlds forum for a bit to gather some tips.

So I did go get my gait analysed at a running shop (I think I overpronate too!) and tried about 6-10 pairs of recommended shoes on.

Ended up with some Nike 'zoom Triax- 9' (bowerman II series?) which I picked up for £70quid as they were in the sale (I told the guy not to show me prices when I tried them all so I wasn't bias, the worst pair for me was a set of £120 Asics :P

However I have heard wonders about the insoles for helping to prevent injuries!

Might look into it, would I have to go to a physio or just the doctors?

Edited by shamus

The egg yokes are the most nutritious part!

"For eggs, all of the fat content is in the yolk, so you should consider egg whites as a zero fat alternative to the whole egg. Of course, there is flavor in the yolk, so you can have a yolk for every five egg whites you eat."

Living in Kingston over the summer??? You gonna be riding ill be just up the road!?

Yea I'll be living by Hampton court for a couple of months, will be working till 5 monday-friday and probably heading back on weekends but I could pop the bike in if your in for a night sesh sometime.

Yea I'll be living by Hampton court for a couple of months, will be working till 5 monday-friday and probably heading back on weekends but I could pop the bike in if your in for a night sesh sometime.

Yeh definately. Im living in Walton which is about 7 minutes up the road from hampton court. let me know when your around bravvaaaa

cant really offer much advise on this, as when i hounded the gym, i didnt give a sh*t about cardio, since ive now started caring about getting in shape, im riding the mountain bike as much as i can, but need to start jogging.

however, avoid maximuscle like the plague, a better alternative for a similar cost, is buying other proteins(nutrisport 90+, reflex, optimum gold standard, met rx etc) and burning your left over cash. seriously maximuscle stuff is overpriced beyond belief..

If your not really looking to drop weight,or are struggling with maintaining weight/building muscle, whilst your doin your cardio, then consider gettin some protein with carbs, as its a lot cheaper, however, you generally only get the same protein per £ spent.

healthy snacks all depend on how your eating, if your trying to drop weight, i suggest going to tescos, and buying there various flavours of cooked sliced chicken chunks, in the 2 for £4 packs, generally pretty nice flavours, easy to digest, high in protein, low in calories.

if your wanting more calories, then things like honey and mustard chicken pasta, (made with the plain tesco value sliced chicken), tuna mayo, etc.or sticking then above sliced chicken into wraps/sandwiches.

when im trying to drop weight, as i am at the moment, i tend to have sliced chicken around, and everything else, should need preparation before you eat it. that way its not just a grab and eat thing, its a case of going to the effort of sticking the grill/george fornby on, going back a few minutes later, sticking the food in the thing. cooking it, job done(thats the issue with stuff like cereal bars, there so easy to just munch in the kitchen every time you walk past). stuff like reggae reggae chicken chargrills are sensational,and not exactly bad for you.