Get Rid Of Vista Install Xp

Matt Vandart

Easy, just whack the CD in and restart the PC. Then follow the steps.

Make sure you backup any photos, music etc first as they will get wiped off.

You may need to set your CD drive to boot up in the BIOS settings.

Thanks for the quick reply, I tried that and it didn't work.

I have two computers and can read what to do and do it on the laptop (the one I want rid of vista on) if you or anyone feels like facebooking/msn me.

Edited by Matt Vandart

Thanks for the quick reply, I tried that and it didn't work.

I have two computers and can read what to do and do it on the laptop (the one I want rid of vista on) if you or anyone feels like facebooking/msn me.

What happens when you put the XP CD in? Should come up with a blue screen basically letting you know you're about to install XP... If it doesn't then either you're not booting into the CD (check in your BIOS) or your CD is knackered or it's not actually an XP install disk.

From what I know and have experienced.

Vista has a function that won't let you uninstall for a older program.

I had to have my hard-drive pulled, connected to another machine and wiped to get rid of Vista.

That's completely wrong. Microsoft even gave the option for new computers that came with Vista to be downgraded at the beginning because Vista was so badly received. Also, when booting from a CD you're getting there before the computer even checks that a hard drive exists, so there's no way for the computer to know that Vista (or any other operating system for that matter) is installed. (Y)

for example on my laptop to boot from cd i press F8 - boot drive options, which flashes up during bios, you should then be able to select your cd drive and it will load. From there just format your harddrive and install xp from fresh, you may want to download your network drivers in advance and put those onto cd as xp probably wont install wireless for you.

Can cause a few problems if you havn't got another pc available.

I sent you a pm also as i will get in trouble :D posting it here.

That's completely wrong. Microsoft even gave the option for new computers that came with Vista to be downgraded at the beginning because Vista was so badly received. Also, when booting from a CD you're getting there before the computer even checks that a hard drive exists, so there's no way for the computer to know that Vista (or any other operating system for that matter) is installed. (Y)

Loop hole to me being complete wrong...I was using a Vista Beta copy, prob should have mentioned that.

Edited by philth

Loop hole to me being complete wrong...I was using a Vista Beta copy, prob should have mentioned that.

So when you were beta testing for Microsoft (Pete, is that you?) they built in a piece of code which stopped you from going back from an operating system that, by the very nature of beta, was unstable to a more stable operating system once beta testing was finished?

Also, how the hell does it being a beta copy negate the point I made earlier - "Also, when booting from a CD you're getting there before the computer even checks that a hard drive exists, so there's no way for the computer to know that Vista (or any other operating system for that matter including any beta copy) is installed."

I smell bullshit.

Sorry Matt for clogging up your topic.

It boots from the CD, not the hard drive. The XP installer boots from the CD, and gives you complete write access over the hard drive. It can't check that the OS is vista, because the XP installer was written before vista was invented. It's not aware of Vista's existance!

Utter bullshit.

It boots from the CD, not the hard drive. The XP installer boots from the CD, and gives you complete write access over the hard drive. It can't check that the OS is vista, because the XP installer was written before vista was invented. It's not aware of Vista's existance!

Utter bullshit.

Is there an echo in here?

So when you were beta testing for Microsoft (Pete, is that you?) they built in a piece of code which stopped you from going back from an operating system that, by the very nature of beta, was unstable to a more stable operating system once beta testing was finished?

Also, how the hell does it being a beta copy negate the point I made earlier - "Also, when booting from a CD you're getting there before the computer even checks that a hard drive exists, so there's no way for the computer to know that Vista (or any other operating system for that matter including any beta copy) is installed."

I smell bullshit.

Sorry Matt for clogging up your topic.

The guy who built my computer was test for them.

And, fact is fact I tried to install XP and it wouldn't go, so I had my hardrive pulled and wiped.

Chill...

The guy who built my computer was test for them.

And, fact is fact I tried to install XP and it wouldn't go, so I had my hardrive pulled and wiped.

Chill...

Was his name Pete Wright?

Fact is fact, you couldn't get an XP install disk to work. You were conned by someone who took advantage of your stupidity to allow you to pay them (I presume) to pull and wipe your hard drive.

Was his name Pete Wright?

Fact is fact, you couldn't get an XP install disk to work. You were conned by someone who took advantage of your stupidity to allow you to pay them (I presume) to pull and wipe your hard drive.

I was in America, so No it wasn't Pete Wright (is that the guy from Cumbria?)

I just bought the computer and was trying to install my CAD software, which at the time was unsupported by VISTA.

So I took the FREE opportunity as my computer had nothing on it (being new) to start from scratch with XP Pro....Hardly stupidity.

Matt, sorry I did realize the trials-forum had turned into OTN. I was just putting forward my experience with going from Vista to XP.

Edited by philth

I was in America, so No it wasn't Pete Wright (is that the guy from Cumbria?)

I just bought the computer and was trying to install my CAD software, which at the time was unsupported by VISTA.

So I took the FREE opportunity as my computer had nothing on it (being new) to start from scratch with XP Pro....Hardly stupidity.

Matt, sorry I did realize the trials-forum had turned into OTN. I was just putting forward my experience with going from Vista to XP.

I wasn't saying that you were stupid for switching from Vista to XP - I totally support that decision. I was saying you were stupid for then deciding that it was better to pull the HDD out and get it wiped than work out why you couldn't get the CD to work.

Don't give it the 'turning into OTN' bollocks either - when you're spouting bullshit you're going to get pulled up on it. It's nothing new, I've been doing it here for years ;)

Edited by JD™
  • Like 1