Bridge Pipe Problems Help

Happydaze

Hi

I have a major problem and I cannot seem to find a resolve. I keep breaking my bridge pipe. I run a 2009 onza blade (mod) with maggies at the back, I have broken 2 of the plastic pipes, so I invested in braided items, and bugger me I have broke that too. It breaks in the same place left hand side just as it comes off the slave cylinder. I have a try all BB and cranks which gives me more than adequate clearance. Most breaks occur when on the back wheel. My best foot is right and I have all the pipes firmly cable tied to the frame. Its driving me nuts I would say I break a pipe every 5 rides on average. In fact not only drive me nuts it scares the sh*t out of me when i am doing a drop the bugger goes and it hurts as I am sure most of you know.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Happydaze

got a brake booster? that might help protect it a bit if you don't already have one.

failing that, just try to be more aware I guess, or have a look at getting a hose splitter, I've heard they break less easy

As above, a splitter may help. Although I can't see how you could be breaking so many hoses, I've never had one fail!

Monty Splitter

got a brake booster? that might help protect it a bit if you don't already have one.

failing that, just try to be more aware I guess, or have a look at getting a hose splitter, I've heard they break less easy

The amount of times I've sat on my braided/plastic crossovers and not snapped them (slipping and falling on them, with force)

And where I slipped and lightly tappeed the splitter, I split 2 cables(N)

The amount of times I've sat on my braided/plastic crossovers and not snapped them (slipping and falling on them, with force)

And where I slipped and lightly tappeed the splitter, I split 2 cables(N)

Never used a splitter myself, just saying what i've heard on here really. Crossovers have always served me well so never needed to change.

But then again, I've rode a monty for years where your feet never get anywhere near your cylinders, now i'm on a pythong times might change :rolleyes:

I've never had a problem with one personally. But my friend has just broken his, leaks at the bottom where you described. I know for a fact he broke his because he is too heavy handed when he brakes. I noticed this when he twisted my hope levers on my bike grrr.

Point being you be being a bit harsh on the brakes if they keep breaking (Y)

Edited by mods

I've never had a problem with one personally. But my friend has just broken his, leaks at the bottom where you described. I know for a fact he broke his because he is too heavy handed when he brakes. I noticed this when he twisted my hope levers on my bike grrr.

Point being you be being a bit harsh on the brakes if they keep breaking (Y)

he broke his hose by pulling the lever too hard?

Christ. he must have a serious deathgrip

or shit hoses :rolleyes:

Yea well the hose was fine then he said he had a problem. So i checked it out and the cross over was loose and leaking. I know for a fact he is harsh on the brakes. Some kind of cable would be better suited to him lol. Still everyone start somewhere.

Sorry for hyjacking the thread a bit. But there is a valid point here :)

Yea well the hose was fine then he said he had a problem. So i checked it out and the cross over was loose and leaking. I know for a fact he is harsh on the brakes. Some kind of cable would be better suited to him lol. Still everyone start somewhere.

Sorry for hyjacking the thread a bit. But there is a valid point here :)

I'd say he needs to keep his hose tight to be honest, braking shouldn't be enough to loosen a hose

I really wrench my brakes sometimes and never had a single problem like that

I'd say he needs to keep his hose tight to be honest, braking shouldn't be enough to loosen a hose

I really wrench my brakes sometimes and never had a single problem like that

Keep it tight? Thats not where its come loose. It come loose where the hose attaches to the nut. They look like they are just heat shinked on. Its not just the nut thats loose or it wouldnt be a problem

Keep it tight? Thats not where its come loose. It come loose where the hose attaches to the nut. They look like they are just heat shinked on. Its not just the nut thats loose or it wouldnt be a problem

oh, he was using m6 fitting with the crappy barbed ends, the m8 fittings with the olive are faaaaaaaaaaar better

It does just sound like it'll be you kicking it. Having your cranks clearing it doesn't really make much of a difference really, 'cos your ankle/heel is probably going to stick out past it anyway. If you look on the side of the cross-over pipe, you'll probably see some little scuff marks where you have been knocking it - they probably won't be visible on the other side 'cos your front foot's nowhere near it.

On the cross-overs you've had before, have they had the little rubber 'boots' on?

Well I have followed advice given, It transpires I am hitting it with the back of my foot, causing it to kink then snap so what I have done now is changed the union on the left side so it attaches with a banjo bolt and I have routed the bridge pipe under the frame in front of the tyre and it seems to be working well, I will keep you all posted.

Thanks for all your help