Teaching A Bike Lesson Tommorow....

Deonn h

Hey, basically im doing an a level sports course and i have to teach y class a lesson, my teacher decided to make me do one on bikes, TOMOROW, only, i havent planned it one bit. Has to last about 45 minutes. So their will be a 5 minute warm up just riding around. I have 40 minutes to fill in. I was thinking things along the lines of, bunny hops , riding through cones :S. It cant be too advance as i bet some of them can bearly ride a bike, and their only the shitty school bikes which we will be using. Anyone help me with some basic mountain bike skills / balance etc what i could use? think il only need about 4-5 to cover the time as some of it will be me explaining coaching points etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, basically im doing an a level sports course and i have to teach y class a lesson, my teacher decided to make me do one on bikes, TOMOROW, only, i havent planned it one bit. Has to last about 45 minutes. So their will be a 5 minute warm up just riding around. I have 40 minutes to fill in. I was thinking things along the lines of, bunny hops , riding through cones :S. It cant be too advance as i bet some of them can bearly ride a bike, and their only the shitty school bikes which we will be using. Anyone help me with some basic mountain bike skills / balance etc what i could use? think il only need about 4-5 to cover the time as some of it will be me explaining coaching points etc.

Thanks in advance.

teach them to trackstand, leave them there for 45 minutes :rolleyes:

teach them to trackstand, leave them there for 45 minutes :rolleyes:

haha would be an ideal plan if it wasnt for a grade, yeah cheers il add that to the list, any more?. I need something interesting/ competetive in their im thinking so they dont get bored. I was thinking some sort of, slow race? although dont know how it would work. And their wont be enough room for a normal race (N)

haha would be an ideal plan if it wasnt for a grade, yeah cheers il add that to the list, any more?. I need something interesting/ competetive in their im thinking so they dont get bored. I was thinking some sort of, slow race? although dont know how it would work. And their wont be enough room for a normal race (N)

slow races work and are a laugh, they're not allowed to stop totally or put a foot down, so it's all about crawling as slow as possible without losing balance

slow races work and are a laugh, they're not allowed to stop totally or put a foot down, so it's all about crawling as slow as possible without losing balance

Cheers, right so far i have.

Warm up - riding round tennis court - 5 mins

Trackstand - 10 minutes

Slow race 10- 15 minutes at end of session

Just need a couple more things now, think il sling the bunny hop in their or maybe riding through some cones? lol

Cheers, right so far i have.

Warm up - riding round tennis court - 5 mins

Trackstand - 10 minutes

Slow race 10- 15 minutes at end of session

Just need a couple more things now, think il sling the bunny hop in their or maybe riding through some cones? lol

You could set up a slalom course with the cones and see who can do it the fastest, or set a time limit and each round the cones get tighter together so it's harder?

You could set up a slalom course with the cones and see who can do it the fastest, or set a time limit and each round the cones get tighter together so it's harder?

would probably work well, weed it down to the one person who can do the tightest course quickest, competition is always good

bunnyhop might work, or might just be a flop

to a total beginner it's a hard movement to grapple, might just end up with a load of schoolkids with bleeding shins :rolleyes:

....which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Sounds like a plan! il add that in cheers, should add some excitement. Il get them to do it slow and get technique right first to burn a little time.

would probably work well, weed it down to the one person who can do the tightest course quickest, competition is always good

bunnyhop might work, or might just be a flop

to a total beginner it's a hard movement to grapple, might just end up with a load of schoolkids with bleeding shins :rolleyes:

....which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Haha ino im thinking the bunny hop maybe a little shit to teach, will see, the slaloms definitely a win though, il write up the coaching points for it now. Anyone got 1 more thing i could add?

Cheers :D

Sounds like a plan! il add that in cheers, should add some excitement. Il get them to do it slow and get technique right first to burn a little time.

Haha ino im thinking the bunny hop maybe a little shit to teach, will see, the slaloms definitely a win though, il write up the coaching points for it now. Anyone got 1 more thing i could add?

Cheers :D

give them a demo of all the most tech things you can do, then tell them their homework is to learn it for next week's lesson :rolleyes:

A couple of years ago I helped a friend do a couple of mock lessons before his assessment for a cycle coach qualification, it was really amusing racing around cones in the park, we must have looked like a load of mad men!

Anyway...

Start with a warm up. The warm up doesn't have to be on the bike, it can be stretches, jogging etc....

You could incorporate something regarding a quick bike check (Make sure the wheels are secure, tyres are inflated, the brakes work, saddle height etc...)

Then do cycling around cones. Teach controlled braking so that you don't skid or lose control of the bike, teach pedal position when turning (The inner pedal should be up when making a turn).

Make a slalom, slowly move the cones closer together to make the turns tighter and also you can use the cones to make gates they have to ride between.

You can then separate the group into teams, make a dual relay so they can do relay slalom races against each other or against the clock.

If its a sports course you should finish off with some sort of warm down exercises.

A couple of years ago I helped a friend do a couple of mock lessons before his assessment for a cycle coach qualification, it was really amusing racing around cones in the park, we must have looked like a load of mad men!

Anyway...

Start with a warm up. The warm up doesn't have to be on the bike, it can be stretches, jogging etc....

You could incorporate something regarding a quick bike check (Make sure the wheels are secure, tyres are inflated, the brakes work, saddle height etc...)

Then do cycling around cones. Teach controlled braking so that you don't skid or lose control of the bike, teach pedal position when turning (The inner pedal should be up when making a turn).

Make a slalom, slowly move the cones closer together to make the turns tighter and also you can use the cones to make gates they have to ride between.

You can then separate the group into teams, make a dual relay so they can do relay slalom races against each other or against the clock.

If its a sports course you should finish off with some sort of warm down exercises.

That was a great help cheers il use a couple of these things you've said then, didn't know about the inner pedal thing il add that to coaching points , definitely incorporate the bike check thing seems good idea. Think Ive got everything pretty much sorted now then il post when ive written it up, cheers lads.

If you have people who can barely ride, make sure the saddle is reasonable (most muppets put it way too low) and focus on basic balance, following lines on the floor then introduce the square/slalom.

It might be worth doing different difficulty levels?

also defiantely take your trials bike for a brief demo/show-off on the day!

Kinda similair to slow race:

Set up a square area and everyone has to ride round it without putting a foot down or going out the boundaries. Last one still in wins.

Can get a bit violent though :lol:

Was going to be my suggestion too. Game can end up with all sorts going on. When someone falls off the bike could stay in the square too, makes it harder...