I Hate Halfords

deeco

Pro Tip: If you don't want to build your own wheel, you can often just lace it up then get a bit of tension on it, then take it to a bikeshop to true it. It'll almost always be significantly less £'s to get it trued than built from scratch, so if you don't want to build your own, you can still save a bit of £'s.

Pro Tip: If you don't want to build your own wheel, you can often just lace it up then get a bit of tension on it, then take it to a bikeshop to true it. It'll almost always be significantly less £'s to get it trued than built from scratch, so if you don't want to build your own, you can still save a bit of £'s.

good tip i am going to head over to the wiki just now and have a looksy see what i can do later on my dad says that we can have a crack at it together

couple of questions:

whats a wheel true :blink:

do i need one?

whats a spoke key?

do i need one ?

can i just unsrew the spokes with a flathead?

the few i have taken a few spokes out and they seem abit bent will they striaghten up when i tighten it back up after re-building?

A 'wheel true' is just the name for straightening a wheel. That's known as 'trueing' the wheel, so a 'wheel true' service is... well... you get the point.

A spoke key is the tool that sits on the flat sections of the nipples and allows you to turn the spokes. They can put a lot more power into the nipple than just using a screwdriver, which won't be able to get you up to the correct tension in most cases. If you're going to build it yourself, you'll need one.

Spokes, when they've been in a wheel, will have a slight kink where they come out of the hub and cross some spokes. They will straighten slightly when you get them under the proper tension, but if you're re-building a different wheel they may well be the wrong length. They'll also usually work out as being slightly weaker due to the way spokes work harden.

A 'wheel true' is just the name for straightening a wheel. That's known as 'trueing' the wheel, so a 'wheel true' service is... well... you get the point.

A spoke key is the tool that sits on the flat sections of the nipples and allows you to turn the spokes. They can put a lot more power into the nipple than just using a screwdriver, which won't be able to get you up to the correct tension in most cases. If you're going to build it yourself, you'll need one.

Spokes, when they've been in a wheel, will have a slight kink where they come out of the hub and cross some spokes. They will straighten slightly when you get them under the proper tension, but if you're re-building a different wheel they may well be the wrong length. They'll also usually work out as being slightly weaker due to the way spokes work harden.

ok thanks will get a hold of a spoke key and give it a go

I know how to do pretty much build anything on my trials bike apart from how to build a wheel. I don't really have any interest in learning either. That's what Tartybikes is for. ^_^

I know how to do pretty much build anything on my trials bike apart from how to build a wheel. I don't really have any interest in learning either. That's what Tartybikes is for. ^_^

do you shit money or something if so i would like 2 clean your toilet

do you shit money or something if so i would like 2 clean your toilet

It doesnt cost much really. its a long job and a lot of effort (not saying its hard but takes concentration) Id happily pay Adam (or whoever does it now) to build me a wheel ( I have infact in the past )

good tip i am going to head over to the wiki just now and have a looksy see what i can do later on my dad says that we can have a crack at it together

couple of questions:

whats a wheel true :blink:

do i need one?

whats a spoke key?

do i need one ?

can i just unsrew the spokes with a flathead?

the few i have taken a few spokes out and they seem abit bent will they striaghten up when i tighten it back up after re-building?

A wheel true is if you have a buckled wheel, you can true it to make it un-buckled.

you will need a spoke key if you are putting new spokes in

you are better using a spoke key than a flathead

Team I've only built three wheels.

Trike?

wheels are simple, as everyone has said, have a bash yourself!

If it goes tit's up you can still take it to a shop and get it built, it won't be the end of the world!!

Team 13 wheelbuild has another member (although iw as building 48spoke bmx wheels :@ much prefer stock trials wheels!

its a long job and a lot of effort (not saying its hard but takes concentration)

I've done around 15 wheels now (for my bikes, and a few for my mates) and if you were paying £15 for a wheelbuild each time it'd really add up!

To be able to build a wheel is a good skill to have. It gets easier and faster every time too, the last wheel I built was my rear 24" wheel - it took me 25mins, was perfectly true and tensioned, and I've only needed to touch it once since putting it on my bike in Janurary to tension it abit more :)