Laptop Spec

anzo

Not too clued up about laptops; more of a desktop person :P

Anyway, the missus is after something cheap and cheerful, but also quality as it will need to last - I know its a very, very fine compromise, but I've recommended;

One

All the spec looks good for the price - Intel processor - whats the AMD/Intel competition like these days? I've always sided with Intel. 4GB RAM, I wouldn't like to run Windows 7 on less than 4GB.

Also;

Two

Looks to me like a cheaper version of One, just a smaller screen and hard drive, which is no big deal.

Also;

Three

Similar to one but an AMD Processor :/

Also;

Four - HP

Five - Acer...Hmmm.

Six - Another Acer

Seven - Another, another Acer.

So, what do you think would be best? Budget of £500. Personally, I think One is the best on there - but anyone more clued up about specs would be a great help!

PS. 'tis pretty urgent!

W7 is fine on 2gb of ram mate, the usage for 32bit is around 600mb, 64bit is 800mb. (In my experience).

1 and 2 are the same link. I'd recommend not one anyway, the spec is good but 17" laptops have terrible battery lives, my mate has a posh gaming Acer thing that last around an hour on low brightness...

I reckon 13" is the best notebook size, but a lot of people prefer 15", just personal really. I prefer netbooks over anything, so I have two Samsung NC10s. :P

EDIT: Also, I'd stick to Intel for this. They seem to make more powerful low consumption CPUs at the moment.

Edited by Muel

Hmmm.... I have a similar model Toshiba and I don't get on with it at all. Hardware failure, flimsy charge jack (pulled out, snapped off etc) disc reader broke. Had it about a year, sent it off at least 5 times. Had a Dell inspiron, not had a single problem with it in 3 years....

W7 is fine on 2gb of ram mate, the usage for 32bit is around 600mb, 64bit is 800mb. (In my experience).

1 and 2 are the same link. I'd recommend not one anyway, the spec is good but 17" laptops have terrible battery lives, my mate has a posh gaming Acer thing that last around an hour on low brightness...

I reckon 13" is the best notebook size, but a lot of people prefer 15", just personal really. I prefer netbooks over anything, so I have two Samsung NC10s. :P

EDIT: Also, I'd stick to Intel for this. They seem to make more powerful low consumption CPUs at the moment.

Cheers mate! Not much experience around Windows 7, only Vista and that tends to run like a sack of shit on most systems - Although I know Windows 7 is much better, although you say 2GB is good, I would tend to aim for 4GB considering the minimal price difference in them.

I'll stick to the Intels as normal :)

Hmmm.... I have a similar model Toshiba and I don't get on with it at all. Hardware failure, flimsy charge jack (pulled out, snapped off etc) disc reader broke. Had it about a year, sent it off at least 5 times. Had a Dell inspiron, not had a single problem with it in 3 years....

Thank you! That reminds me about the toshiba, I had one a few years ago and it was fine. However we had one at work about 2 years ago and the charger jack had the same issues, however it was the connector on the motherboard that snapped - it was quite a lot to replace too!

Any experience with Acer? They look good, but I'm dubious about the quality of them?

Cheers mate! Not much experience around Windows 7, only Vista and that tends to run like a sack of shit on most systems - Although I know Windows 7 is much better, although you say 2GB is good, I would tend to aim for 4GB considering the minimal price difference in them.

I'll stick to the Intels as normal :)

Any experience with Acer? They look good, but I'm dubious about the quality of them?

Yeh if the price isn't much different, then go for it. Although having 2gb more ram than needed will make the battery life shorter. :P

I just opened FireFox, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Word, MSN, Winamp, uTorrent, KeepNote, Access, Excel, Groove, Visual Studio, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, iTunes, Fireworks and Flash, and it's only using 2.22gb.

It's up to you, 4gb will make a difference, but very small. The main difference will be the battery life really.

I hate Acer, the feel really tacky, usually look terrible, customer service isn't great... Never actually owned one though so don't take it as read.

I've got an acer that I got about 5 years ago, 2ghz amd processor, i upgraded the ram to 4 as it was only 1 when I got it years ago (high at the time!) and stuck a 320gig HD an windows 7 on an its perfect. Never had any problems with it since I bought it and she's served some time an done some work I'll tell you. I can see why some people would avoid an acer but I can honestly say I'd have another tomorrow, although I too prefer netbooks, they're awesome!!

17" inspiron on power save. 5 hours...

Maximum performance. 3 hours. Thats not really terrible?

i got a 17" mainly because I didn't have space for a desktop and i wanted to be able to watch films on a reasonable sized screen.

Netbooks in my eyes are silly although they seem to be replacing the traditional paper equivalent.

15" would be perfect for everyday use, then you have to pick what you want inside it.

I agree with Sam, Intel seem to be the way to go, although they're not good with over clocking.(I doubt you will be anyway?)

17" inspiron on power save. 5 hours...

Maximum performance. 3 hours. Thats not really terrible?

i got a 17" mainly because I didn't have space for a desktop and i wanted to be able to watch films on a reasonable sized screen.

Netbooks in my eyes are silly although they seem to be replacing the traditional paper equivalent.

15" would be perfect for everyday use, then you have to pick what you want inside it.

I agree with Sam, Intel seem to be the way to go, although they're not good with over clocking.(I doubt you will be anyway?)

That battery life is seriously good, my mates 1 hour power save must just be a case of Acer quality. :P

Netbooks are brilliant, the 10" screen is still very usable when you get used to it, they have battery lives of upto 12 hours, (My other mates new Toshiba), and despite what anyone says they're fast enough for me to run photoshop, dreamweaver and firefox side by side.

It mainly depends on the usage, these days you just work out how often you'll be carrying it around and pick a screen size/weight to suit. I take one of my netbooks with me to Uni everyday, so a 15" laptop would get a bit annoying, especially as each day I walk about 5-6 miles.

Intel not good with overclocking? Seems wierd, is it just the laptop CPUs you're talking about?

Who told you that? :blink:

Anyway, theres no way on Earth I'd overclock on a laptop, considering the piss poor cooling they have.

Muel, I'll look into the netbooks, but I think she'd more prefer a 'traditional' laptop - just due to the bigger screen size, I understand netbooks are an aquired taste.

I'll take a closer look at the Acer range :) Althoughhhhh, I've just found a Lenovo for under £500...

Muel, I'll look into the netbooks, but I think she'd more prefer a 'traditional' laptop - just due to the bigger screen size, I understand netbooks are an aquired taste.

They definately are that, and they're only really a mobile solution, if you're using it at home it becomes kinda pointless.They are pretty slow aswell, I'm used to it but be warned, very slow. The have and firewall makes a big difference, people put McAfee on or Norton, then complain it's not fast enough. I use AVG Free and Zone Alarm and it works well for me with W7. The other one is running OSX so no need for any of that security shite. :P

Who told you that? :blink:

Anyway, theres no way on Earth I'd overclock on a laptop, considering the piss poor cooling they have.

I'll take a closer look at the Acer range :) Althoughhhhh, I've just found a Lenovo for under £500...

Well the few i've done, even with minimum changes have gone pop.