St Georges Day

anzo

It's St Georges Day, a day in which we celebrate a guy who was apparently born in Coventry...or Turkey.

So, in the theme I though it'd be a nice idea to have a patriotic topic;

What makes you proud to be English?

What makes you not proud to be English?

Personally, I'm ashamed of our drinking habits and high teenage pregnancy rates. Go us!

I like how we can make excellent movies and a strong music range. I also like our history.

I was just about to start a topic like this, but I'm glad you did it because it's a lot more thought provoking than my picture of a St Georges Cross and London Pride.

I'm proud of our history, and I'm proud of England because I was born here and I've lived here all my life and I've been safe - even living in Croydon :P

I'm not proud of the fact we don't celebrate this more.

st-george-cross.jpg

fullers-london-pride.jpg

HAPPY ST GEORGES DAY ALL. I have the afternoon off and I'm going to make Anzo proud by sitting in my garden getting needlessly wankered. Might even get some teenagers pregnant.

HAPPY ST GEORGES DAY ALL. I have the afternoon off and I'm going to make Anzo proud by sitting in my garden getting needlessly wankered. Might even get some teenagers pregnant.

Ironically, I finish work at 1pm and I'll be in the pub by 2pm...;)

I'm proud of your widely considered stereotype, particularly within Europe, of being drunken, trouble making, loud, obnoxious oafs. Oh, wait...

It's a massive shame that you take your football so bloody seriously and that the British follow EU regulations so blindly...

However, there's something about the British/English... that quirky slightly awkwardness that we/you have which makes us a bit special. Also good to be different with the pound, queen etc and trying to uphold the way things used to be.

I'm proud of England because its done so much for such a small sized country and can still compete with bigger countries.

I'm not proud that celebrating being proud of it is slightly ruined by being the country being PC.

I understand why, but surely ethnic minorities can give us one day and understand its about us being proud of our country and people and not us singling them out in any way.

Also not proud of about 30-40% of the 'English' population :P

I'm not proud that celebrating being proud of it is slightly ruined by being the country being PC.

I understand why, but surely ethnic minorities can give us one day and understand its about us being proud of our country and people and not us singling them out in any way.

Haha, I was wondering how long it would take for this to appear. I don't think that St Georges Day (or as my mate used to call it, 'St Facists Day') is at all racist nor looked down upon by the ethnic community - I think you'll find most of them love this country more than most Brits do...

I can predict over the next week The Sun will so come article about a man being asked to remove his flag - although in most cases I can only assume its halve truths, the flag in question was probably hanging out his window of his car and therefore being a hazard.

It is strange that most people in England celebrate St Patricks Day more than St Georges Day - although the whole thing is a bit of a mess, the Irish celebrate the life of a man of who they captured and made a slave! All these St Whatever Day's are just an excuse to get pissed anyway :)

I mean more that people seem to be afraid to celebrate properly it in case they come off as a racist or xenophobe. If you look at Ireland on St. Patricks day and compare it to England tonight, i'd imagine it'd be a pretty different scene. Maybe we just aren't as patriotic.

I don't really care, i'm part Irish so i celebrate both and have a good time :P

I mean more that people seem to be afraid to celebrate properly it in case they come off as a racist or xenophobe. If you look at Ireland on St. Patricks day and compare it to England tonight, i'd imagine it'd be a pretty different scene. Maybe we just aren't as patriotic.

I don't really care, i'm part Irish so i celebrate both and have a good time :P

This.

I was in Ireland around the time of St Patricks day this year, it was mental.

I'm part Irish too, so I celebrate both without being a bandwagon jumper :rolleyes:

What makes you not proud to be English?

What we have acheived, considering we like on a shit little island. Also our sence of humor and drinking reputation :P

Not proud... our parliment, all a bunch of cunts

I was in Ireland around the time of St Patricks day this year, it was mental.

You and me both! Was absolutely incredible on the patriotism/ excuse to get utterly wasted-o-meter, i think we as a country need to be prouder of being English for the one day a year.