Ive Downloaded Windows 7 Now What?

Davetrials

If i change my pc from vista to windows 7 what do i have to do? will i loose everything on my computer?

I didn't when I upgraded, there is a separate folder in your C drive when you install Windows 7 with all your Vista files.

Just click the option which says something like, keep all my Vista files when install Windows 7.

Alex.

Your documents will still be there but there's a good chance a load of your programs won't work anymore. I think.

Was going to correct you, then my mind went blank. <_<

When I did, ALL documents/folders/program installed folders were all stuck in a folder on the C drive.

(Y)

if shitty windows is having trouble backing up your files download knoppix live iso

install it to a usb an set your pc's bios to usb boot before hard drive (can also burn it to a cd and set dvd/cd drive before hd)

this is a live linux operating system that runs of usb/disc use that to acess your c;/ drive then copy your data

then format your hard drive an have a clean win7 to work with

personally i hate windows

V-iruses

I-ntruders

S-pyware

T-rojans

A-dware

download ubuntu studio live disc an try it out for a while

p.s. live discs will come as a .iso file an are a full linux operating system that you can run from cd/dvds, usbs an external hard drive etc make sure you put disc/usb in a boot

these will not affect your install operating system so you can run em as you wish, if you cant get on with it just shutdown an remove the cd/usb next time you turn you comp on it'll go back to windows as if nothings happened

hope this helps

Edited by Tux07

That's wayyy too complicated for what Dave is trying to do. Dave, you've got two options really, either upgrade which usually leaves things in a big mess, or a fresh install, which means you have to reinstall everything and copy your docs back on. Choose which you want then reply back and I'll reply with what else you need to do. (Y)

Edited by Muel

That's wayyy too complicated for what Dave is trying to do. Dave, you've got two options really, either upgrade which usually leaves things in a big mess, or a fresh install, which means you have to reinstall everything and copy your docs back on. Choose which you want then reply back and I'll reply with what else you need to do. (Y)

[/quote/]

knoppix can be used to fix windows so having it will always be handy

This is Dave we're talking about here, if there's one thing I've learnt about him in the few years I've been on TF is, in the nicest way possible, he is abit of a spastic sometimes. Thus he won't be able to figure knoppix or ubuntu live discs.

knoppix can be used to fix windows so having it will always be handy

What is it with Linux users and suggesting the most long winded solutions to any IT problem? My housemate last year was exactly the same, very knowledgeable computer guy but never a simple solution from the man!

What is it with Linux users and suggesting the most long winded solutions to any IT problem? My housemate last year was exactly the same, very knowledgeable computer guy but never a simple solution from the man!

Because it's geek cool to try and confuse people.

Vista is fine I'm running it and it does the job. :huh:

Same, I've been running Vista for just over a year and have had zero problems with it (after I used the DisableUACforAdmin mod of course) and get on well with it. I've now got W7 on a couple of computers at work and to be honest I prefer Vista so far...

Should have seen my post before the edit, I f**king HATE linux nerds and their overcomplicating everything. The preaching aswell, every heavy Linux user I've known acts like a f**king Jehovah's Witness.

I used Linux for a while, I even have OSX Snow Leopard (Mac in other words), on one of my computers. Windows 7 is best by far. It works with everything, there's no pissing around writing commands in the terminal, it's the best for treating like a white good by far. You just turn it on and it goes. There's a reason that people write viruses and spyware and adware for it, becuase it's the most widely used, and there's a reason for that too, it's the best OS.

Anyway, best not get started or I'll never stop. I've spent too long arguing with f**king OSX and Linux nerds in the past already. :P

EDIT: Vista really is shite, there was so much wrong with it that by the time Microsoft had mended it, they released it as W7.

Edited by Muel

Should have seen my post before the edit, I f**king HATE linux nerds and their overcomplicating everything. The preaching aswell, every heavy Linux user I've known acts like a f**king Jehovah's Witness.

I used Linux for a while, I even have OSX Snow Leopard (Mac in other words), on one of my computers. Windows 7 is best by far. It works with everything, there's no pissing around writing commands in the terminal, it's the best for treating like a white good by far. You just turn it on and it goes. There's a reason that people write viruses and spyware and adware for it, becuase it's the most widely used, and there's a reason for that too, it's the best OS.

Anyway, best not get started or I'll never stop. I've spent too long arguing with f**king OSX and Linux nerds in the past already. :P

EDIT: Vista really is shite, there was so much wrong with it that by the time Microsoft had mended it, they released it as W7.

QFT.

it's the best OS.

Do we need really to go there... it'll end in tears.

I would definitely recommend a clean install. You get a nice clean registry (among other things) and you're less likely to run into problems in the short term as well as further down the line. It's a pretty tedious process though.

correction microsoft only said it shouldn't have been released as a 32-bit o/s

an i don't use terminal, i use gui for everything, i switched to linux because i was sick of have to fix windows i use it for everything i did on a windows pc an more peace of mind was what i was after i.e. from viruses etc, no more defrags an random crashing, no more restarting pc every 5mins to install stuff its faster an far more reliable.

if windows is that good why do governments and their agencies (fbi, cia etc etc) use it instead also bill gates himself doesn't use it he's a linux user an the rest o his pc are macs

yes is it the most widely used but that is because you are spoon fed windows i.e. buy a pc windows installed then you get spoon fed you apps

also to those that do thing legally then you have to buy all you software like burners, anti-virus etc where as we have al this built in from the start

it isn't the best its just a case of microsoft putting other companies onto the payroll

windows 7 and vista need ram just to run the system alone my laptop has way more visual effects an can run multiple apps like video converter etc at the same time an it barely touches my hardware

you windows users are forever re-installing it to "fix" problems that only come back again where as i can just swap a file (most of the time)

9 times of out ten if you take a pc to a shop to be repaired they use live discs to fix em an charge you, our software is made by people for people not a business man trying to make money so he doesn't give a toss if it fails (a lot)

our methods are not long winded they are sure fire methods

if you strip windows down to code you will see that they are themselves unix based just been mashed up an removed near enough all the security

n.b. all these supposed new features that are on win7 have been in use by us linux users for years isn't it time microsoft got up to date

Edited by Tux07

I've had this argument too many times now and I'm not having it again, I just don't care enough. I've been using LInux and Windows for 5/6 years now, I know which I prefer.

EDIT: Any tips for making Ubuntu hold onto a keyboard map? It's so annoying when you set it to a UK keyboard, then reboot and it gives you a different keyboard... Re-downloaded and reinstalled with no luck.

Edited by Muel

I've had this argument too many times now and I'm not having it again, I just don't care enough. I've been using LInux and Windows for 5/6 years now, I know which I prefer.

EDIT: Any tips for making Ubuntu hold onto a keyboard map? It's so annoying when you set it to a UK keyboard, then reboot and it gives you a different keyboard... Re-downloaded and reinstalled with no luck.

mines always stayed in uk do you set it at the install prompt (i'm on 9.10) although knoppix an slackware pissed me off with the same thing (as i said i don't like the faffing around as you mentioned which a few other linux distros make you do, lazy swines)

have you told it to save sessions i think kde does that as standard but i only use gnome its lighter etc, gnomes options fo sessions are set as off by default, what disc you running off, it could be an earlier version

mines always stayed in uk do you set it at the install prompt (i'm on 9.10) although knoppix an slackware pissed me off with the same thing (as i said i don't like the faffing around as you mentioned which a few other linux distros make you do, lazy swines)

have you told it to save sessions i think kde does that as standard but i only use gnome its lighter etc, gnomes options fo sessions are set as off by default, what disc you running off, it could be an earlier version

I was using 9.10 64 bit, just kept losing it constantly, I never really spent long trying to get it to stick though, just decided I couldn't live without MS Office and the Adobe Master Collection lol. (Now using OSX on a netbook though so I can have them both).

I was using 9.10 64 bit, just kept losing it constantly, I never really spent long trying to get it to stick though, just decided I couldn't live without MS Office and the Adobe Master Collection lol. (Now using OSX on a netbook though so I can have them both).

open office is the same as ms office or you can run ms office on it, i know photo-shop cs4 can run with wine but dunno about the collection (i'm not that into image and vid editing more just making em fit on me mob etc)

erm not too sure if i'm honest never came across it for installs, i use persistent usb's a lot so i can take it anywhere. if you runnin it on a netbook an it's an acer aspire one then try kuki linux it was made for em an is ubuntu/debian based

other than that install it again (i presume you've wiped it off already) an google the conf-editor see if that fixes it

or extract the iso for kuki linux find the .deb files for the kernel

install netbook remix ubuntu (it's got a funky interface) an install the custom kernel (it'll be loads better than the general kernel)

Edited by Tux07

What is this?

I wonder if it's that thing where on the odd occasion windows would prevent you from doing something because you weren't an admin, when you actually were, and only have one account anyway.

Odd occasion? It happened every time I tried to install a program, delete a file, change the name of a file, open certain folders, change things in the control panel etc. etc. Nowhere was safe from it's annoying intervention! So yeah, the registry mod just disables all that crap so you have some kind of control over your computer without Windows assuming you're a complete retard.

You can disable UAC in Cuntroll Panel anyway :)

I'm pretty sure you can't in Vista... you can in W7 but in Vista (at least the version I have which may be the issue) I couldn't do anything so downloaded the fix.