Ive Downloaded Windows 7 Now What?

Davetrials

Odd occasion? It happened every time I tried to install a program, delete a file, change the name of a file, open certain folders, change things in the control panel etc. etc. Nowhere was safe from it's annoying intervention! So yeah, the registry mod just disables all that crap so you have some kind of control over your computer without Windows assuming you're a complete retard.

I'm pretty sure you can't in Vista... you can in W7 but in Vista (at least the version I have which may be the issue) I couldn't do anything so downloaded the fix.

you can in vista, also another handy mod is to disable the auto-defrag it helps speed it up but still means you gotta do it every so often

Just did that, didn't know anything about it but it's off now, using Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

By default, the disk defrag feature in Vista is set up to defrag your system about every four times you restart your computer. So, of course, it just gets in the way of anything you are trying to do at the time. So if you are annoyed with it, here’s how to turn it off:

First, double click on the Computer icon on your desktop.

Once there, right click on your C: drive and choose Properties. Next, hit the Tools tab and then select the option that says “Defragment Now.”

Lastly, uncheck the box that says “Run on a schedule.”

Bam! Done deal.

Odd occasion? It happened every time I tried to install a program, delete a file, change the name of a file, open certain folders, change things in the control panel etc. etc. Nowhere was safe from it's annoying intervention! So yeah, the registry mod just disables all that crap so you have some kind of control over your computer without Windows assuming you're a complete retard.

I'm pretty sure you can't in Vista... you can in W7 but in Vista (at least the version I have which may be the issue) I couldn't do anything so downloaded the fix.

I'm pretty sure you can!

It was similar to W7, in control panel, user accounts, there was an option to turn UAC on/off, you had to restart after making a change.

I definitely couldn't. UAC was in the control panel but it wasn't selectable or changeable, hence the need to use the registry edit thing. Maybe they updated it with a service pack or whatever but when I first got the laptop it really wasn't changeable.

You absolutely can disable UAC in Vista Home Premium. I would take a screenie but I'm on my MBP.

You absolutely couldn't when I first tried 18 months ago. Contrary to popular belief I'm not a moron who mashes at their keyboard and shouldn't be trusted with any kind of control over their machine...